Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

Would be interesting if Canon could come up with 100mpx camera using own up-to-date sensor technology on par with the Sony latest line of new generation sensors. This could help keep the market very competitive to the benefits of users of any brand, be this Canon, Sony, Nikon or L-mount alliance.
Now we have Sony a7rIV with new generation 61mpx sensor, new quad pixel IMX521CQR (supposedly planned for Sony a7sIII ) which is having extreemly high sensitivity and extremely high well saturation point, embedded different HDR modes also avalable in movie modes, different readout modes from 15mpx for video up to 61mpx for stills, 12/14/16 bits readout, anti-blooming pixel design and finally extreemly interesting rumoured IMX555cqr 102mpx sensor, possibly we will see it first in Nikon Z8 or Z9 as it did not appeared in Sony a7rIV, some people hope to see it in possible high end Sony a9r, not sure if this happens any time soon.

Would be nice if Canon launched 100mpx sensor camera using own sensor which is on par with upcoming Sony 102mpx IMX555CQR to keep market highly competitive, otherwise Nikon or Sony might give hard blow to Canon in high mpx camera area with new Z9 or a9r using IMX555CQR. Just launch them shortly after Canon announcement of Canon high mpx camera.
Next 12 month from now could be very interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Isn't it amazing how many contradictions are in a sigle post?

I am thinking of creating a Poll:

st jack photography:

1. Paid troll ?
2. Disturbed ?
3. Hobby troll ?
4. Just Canon hater/Sony lover ? (but still disturbed)

:D
I think the sainthood thing might be a little overstated.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yep go ahead and reclaim that crown, Canon, but the highest mp means nothing when the sensor is 10 years old, not a BSI, has terrible DR, terrrible AF, crippled despite being capable, a burst speed from 1940s, probably shoot 3 RAW at 2fps before the buffer hangs up, requires an adapter to mount any of my tilt-shift lenses..... Pathetic. RF mount = worst mistake ever. R and Rp = worst full frame bodies on the market
I'll check it out, but as it stands I have never pulled my 5dsr out of the closet for personal art work since I bought a SONY Rx1rm2.

Pretty sure I am done with Canon anyway. All my glass works on Sony just fine, I get all the features I want, and my frustration level is at an all-time low. Guess what, even wifi works with just a button press! With Canon, you have to be a web engineer. Tethering for fast speeds or automated focus stacks with Canon? Um, forget about it. I had to send my 5dsr in 2 x to get the funky USB port changed out. TWICE! Just for regular product tethering. 5DSr is a joke.

Thanks for nothing, Canon. So what, these new M cameras will have an adapter too? An adapter for a aps-c mirrorless? You have got to be kidding! F$*@ Canon.
Bye. Please don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I doubt it seeing as they have made and demonstrated a 250 mp sensor that could be used anytime they want.
Erm, I don't dare to write this, but my wife still uses 12 MP Nikons, and she makes A3 prints in which you can see every fine hair. Henry Cartier Bresson once said to the younger Helmut Newton: "sharpness is just a bourgeois concept!" Maybe, today, he'd say "many megapixels are just a bourgeois concept" ...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Nah the touch and drag AF sucks because they didn't add a user customizable sensitivity setting to relative mode, a feature that's basically been in every other mouse-like interface made in the last 30 years.

If you don't use relative mode it forces you to hold the camera weird.
well I guess if there is a fault, someone will complain about it.
btw, I don't recall a sensitivity adjustment method for the mechanical joysticks.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The whole trolling discussion is a tough one.
The nice thing about trolling today is that it is digital and will be lost soon. From mesopotamia some troll commentaries on clay tablets have survived for more than four thousands of years! So, the longterm impact of trolling is declining, which is a comforting realization.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon can stick their Mirrorless cameras up their Cannon! I will always avoid mirrorless. I don't wanna compose on a TV screen! I have been waiting for several years for Canon to come out with a 5Dsr2. Money has long been in my pocket for it. Maybe I can find another manufacturer that will do a high megapixel DSLR and sell off my Canon equipment. I've been a Canon customer for many decades. If I wanted a large point and shoot, I would have bought one a long time ago!

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Canon can stick their Mirrorless cameras up their Cannon! I will always avoid mirrorless. I don't wanna compose on a TV screen! I have been waiting for several years for Canon to come out with a 5Dsr2. Money has long been in my pocket for it. Maybe I can find another manufacturer that will do a high megapixel DSLR and sell off my Canon equipment. I've been a Canon customer for many decades. If I wanted a large point and shoot, I bwould have bought one a long time ago!
Even though canons new high megapixel R camera will give you vastly better image quality than you’ve ever experienced before?

What phone do you use? A Nokia 3310?

Get with the times.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I don't want more megapixels. I want less.

I want low-light ability and increased dynamic range rather than more megapixels.
...just because Canon are releasing a high MP model doesn’t mean they won’t release a camera with a more “normal” pixel count. We’re talking about the 3rd ever R camera made. There’ll be plenty more models over the next few years.

Upvote 0
Don't worry. Sony fanboys will always be able to come up with magic numbers for us to despise.
Canon fanboys will always be able to harp on about how ergonomics and Canon colors are the most important things, sensors hardly seem to matter to Canon users, at least that is what Canon fans have been saying for years.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I don't want more megapixels. I want less.

I want low-light ability and increased dynamic range rather than more megapixels.
I agree with you on the MP. Most people do not want or need more MP. Cleaner, images with a good low noise sensor with high DR is perfect for me. I use a 5DIV and that pixel count is about right for me. I say they need to continue to upgrade sensors in that MP range of around 30 - 36 MP.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon fanboys will always be able to harp on about how ergonomics and Canon colors are the most important things, sensors hardly seem to matter to Canon users, at least that is what Canon fans have been saying for years.
Sensors hardly seem to matter to the majority of camera buyers, at least that is what the global market share data have been saying for years.

Or more correctly, the differences between Canon’s sensors and their competitors’ are irrelevant as far as most camera buyers are concerned.

I’m sure that’s what you were trying to say, you just got confused.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0