Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

Mar 2, 2012
...just because Canon are releasing a high MP model doesn’t mean they won’t release a camera with a more “normal” pixel count. We’re talking about the 3rd ever R camera made. There’ll be plenty more models over the next few years.

Didn’t they already release “normal” MP models?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Canon fanboys will always be able to harp on about how ergonomics and Canon colors are the most important things, sensors hardly seem to matter to Canon users, at least that is what Canon fans have been saying for years.

Sensors matter. A virtually invisible difference in one metric (DR) does not matter.

Upvote 0
Canon fanboys will always be able to harp on about how ergonomics and Canon colors are the most important things, sensors hardly seem to matter to Canon users, at least that is what Canon fans have been saying for years.

Sony is making sensors with better specs right now. They are using sensors fresh off an R&D cycle, and they are killing it.

Good for Sony. Good for consumers. Good for the industry.

The thing is, while I’ll acknowledge that Sony is making better sensors, the degree to which they are better doesn’t outweigh all the cons of using a Sony vs an R... FOR ME; if it does for you, that’s cool. I don’t think you’re wrong.

All of that said, you'd be really, really short sighted not to see that Canon probably has some sensors in the pipeline that are significantly better than the mature products they offer now.

Will they release a line that competes with Sony? Will they be content to be slightly behind? Will they release something truly innovative?

Who knows. I would not be shocked if their next series of sensors beat out what Sony is offering. I also wouldn’t be shocked if they were slightly behind. So long as it doesn’t mean a huge difference in the images I can capture, and Sony continues to be weak in the areas they are weak in... I’ll be using a Canon.

There are a lot of people like me. You shouldn’t get upset about it; it doesn’t affect what you choose to buy or how you shoot.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hard to say what anybody has been saying for years..

For me, I find the way Canon's new RF shuts out dust when changing lenses a brilliant piece of design work and very practical. The extra control ring is very nice to use too, for extra versatility. Much of the previous gear works very good too, and I've earned some fairly good extra income with it.

Got anything else you would like to harp on about?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Does it have a reversing camera?

It has a full 360 view actually all angles. Forward, Back and Side. But the dynamic range sucks, at night with the red backup lights on you can see nothing. Ford hasn't caught up to Sony.

I am so mad at Ford I may start driving a Sony.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Wow!! this sounds like music in my ears....

Looking at the lenses Canon is releasing for the R-mounts this makes totally sense. I predict all the guys changing to Sony in these days will have regrets in the future.....

I predict most Sony fanboys will stubbornly cling to the idea that whatever Sony does is superior to whatever Canon does. They'll do this because apparently their entire concept of self is based upon the gear they:

a) own

or

b) want but have never actually held

being superior in every conceivable way to any other gear from another manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Sensors hardly seem to matter to the majority of camera buyers, at least that is what the global market share data have been saying for years.

Or more correctly, the differences between Canon’s sensors and their competitors’ are irrelevant as far as most camera buyers are concerned.

I’m sure that’s what you were trying to say, you just got confused.

The mental gymnastics you go through to support a position on these boards...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

Ask yourself the following questions: what is my compelling reason for coming around this place again and again, and leaving non sensual remarks about subjects I have no idea about? Should I stop being an embarrassment and move along to a Sony centred forums where I will be surrounded by like minded individuals?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The mental gymnastics you go through to support a position on these boards...
no this is a reality of a digital photography. this is all about photography, you know. photographs.
an art of capturing light, composition, colours, expression, storytelling and emotionally compelling imagery.

I do not give a flying duck about SONY technology drievel. I need Canon colour magic, reliability and ergonomics. the rest is a photographer's job.
I can shoot with a single AF point ,. I don't mind. the bottom line is: RAW files that are coming out of Canon 5D IV are amazing.

Majority of SONY superiority rethorics have nothing to do with Photography at all.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Plenty to like about Canon and plenty to dislike about Sony but if you can't appreciate the extent to which Sony is driving camera tech forward I don't know what to tell you. Canon is the world's largest camera company with decades of experience and for the most part they have been chasing Sony's tail for the last several years. It's a little sad.

Canon's cameras, like pretty much every camera made in the last decade or so, still produce fine images but the tech gap is widening every day. I understand why that gets on some peoples nerves but it's not Sony's fault that Canon isn't keeping up.

Tell me again about when Sony passed Canon in terms of total ILC sales and ILC market share. I seem to have missed that announcement.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It's not hard to grasp. It's how they do it that draws ire. Did Ford remove the back seat from the Mustang to protect sedan sales? How about keeping the power down on the F150 so that people would have to buy a Mustang if they want to go fast?

I swear some of you would support Canon even if they made it so their L lenses wouldn't work on their non-pro cameras models saying it's simply a product differentiation thing and the people complaining about such a limitation don't get it.

None of which for example explains why p24 video has vanished from the new cameras. They clearly removed it for a non-technical reason.

It sure seems like Canon tries to remove as much as they think they can get away with from every model to create artificial market segmentation at each price point. Whereas it seems like Nikon and Sony try to put as much as possible into each models for their price point regardless if one of their lower end models might at least temporarily surpass the capability of an older higher end model.

Edit:
For example, Canon would never put the sort of AF features the new RX100 VII has (whether it needs them or not). They would never put features or tech borrowed directly from their top end cameras in a P&S. Heck Canon won't even put their top end metering or AF in a 2nd tier camera.

Yeah, Canon didn't put a 65 point (all cross-type) AF system in its APS-C 7D Mark II at the same time their flagship 1D X and Pro FF 5D Mark III only had 61 point AF (with not all of them cross-type).

Canon also never introduces new features in lower level cameras before giving them to the top tier models, like when they put flicker reduction (a BIG thing for sports shooters who work under flickering artificial lights in high school and small/medium sized college stadiums and gyms) in the 7D Mark II in 2014 before the Rebel T6i/750D got it in 2015, then the 1D X Mark II (2016) and the 5D Mark IV (2016)...

Oh, wait...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
They would never put features or tech borrowed directly from their top end cameras in a P&S. Heck Canon won't even put their top end metering or AF in a 2nd tier camera.

Yeah, none of the rebels have RGB+IR full color light meters like the 5D Mark IV (2016), the 1D X (2012), the 1D X Mark II (2016), and the 7D Mark II (2014).

Well... except for the Rebel T6i/750D (2015), the Rebel T6s/760D (2015), the Rebel T7i/800D (2017), In addition to the mid-grade 80D (2016) and 77D (2017).

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Below, when speaking about the RP.

So I don't know what your experience was, but it wasn't set correctly. I weigh 300 lbs (fat cheeks) and have a big fat nose. No problem at all. If I set the camera for right side and use my left eye, yeah, problems exactly like you experienced. Not set correctly.

It can be set for whole panel, top, bottom, left side, right side, top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left.

You're confusing him with facts, man!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
An 80 Mpixel camera would a DLA less than f/5.6. EOS 80D has a DLA of f/6.0 and this is equivalent to a 60Mpixel FF camera!

OK not a problem for fast primes or zooms up to f/5.6. I guess after that it would just gradually (and not always obviously) degrade and we can always have an equivalent of a very sharp less Mpixel camera so no actual loss just a gain on good lighting conditions.

DLA only begins to affect image sharpness when viewing at 100% (one image pixel = one screen pixel) on a monitor for which the viewer can discriminate a single pixel from adjacent pixels. For an 80 MP 3:2 image viewed on a 96 ppi monitor, that would be the equivalent of looking at a piece of a 115 x 76 inch image from less than one foot away! One can use apertures well past the DLA before it begins to perceptibly affect an image viewed under standard conditions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0