Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There were a number of conversations about this, both before and shortly after the R mount was announced. I think a lot of people are less concerned about this now that the adapters have been released and we've found they work remarkably well.

I'm actually inclined to buy EF variants instead of RF variants now that I have the CPL adapter :)

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
For me, I will continue to buy EF lenses so long as I am using both DSLRs and mirrorless. If I ever switch to exclusively mirrorless I will then gradually replace EF lenses with R lenses, but for the foreseeable future, I see no real advantage to R lenses, unless they produce something that I really want and can't get as an EF lens.

That's the key. A 24-70 f/2.8L II is the same lens today that it was yesterday. Canon is trying very hard to produce R variants that will make you want to upgrade. So we have the 28-70 f/2 and will have a 24-70 f/2.8 IS for the RF mount. But if you don't need those improvements, nothing changes, even if you add an RF mount body. The existing EF variant remains a remarkably sharp, well built, fast aperture, fast focusing lens that will work just as well via adapter on the R as it does on a DSLR.

Adapters within and to every other system have caveats. Canon secured the life and longevity of the entire EF line with their mount and adapter. Given this fact I don't know why people are hesitant or worried regarding EF lenses and even EF DSLRs. If I needed to today I would have no hesitation picking up another 5Ds or adding a 5D4, and certainly no reservation about picking an EF lens if it was the best price/performance fit for my needs.

I continue to think that Canon made a mistake in not producing an adapter to allow R lenses to be used on DSLRs.

There's physically no way to do this.

I still wonder if Canon would have been better off using the EF mount in their mirrorless bodies but with a modification which allowed RF lenses to extend back into the mount, just like EF-S. An RF lens still couldn't sit on a DSLR, but EF lenses could attach to R bodies without an adapter. I suppose in the end Canon determined that they would still be introducing a split into their lens line in order to take advantage of the closer registration distance, and a new mount would let them shave some depth and weight from the R bodies.

Bottom line: I don't think anyone should worry about their EF lenses suddenly going obsolete. Perhaps in the future, Canon will introduce some features that take advantage of the new R mount that can't be done with an EF lens, but even in that case, it's not going to suddenly make the EF lenses quit working, or work less well than they do today.

Exactly, and well said.

Upvote 0
It’s probably just me but the new lenses look amazing
I just keep thinking that in a few years there won’t be a good reason to buy an older L unless it’s used and significantly discounted

The new lenses are very expensive
But once I see a great new mirrorless body then I will likely start the conversion and ditch my old faithfuls.

QUOTE="unfocused, post: 786222, member: 69"]
There were a number of conversations about this, both before and shortly after the R mount was announced. I think a lot of people are less concerned about this now that the adapters have been released and we've found they work remarkably well.

For me, I will continue to buy EF lenses so long as I am using both DSLRs and mirrorless. If I ever switch to exclusively mirrorless I will then gradually replace EF lenses with R lenses, but for the foreseeable future, I see no real advantage to R lenses, unless they produce something that I really want and can't get as an EF lens.

I did purchase the R 24-105 f4 zoom (actually, there was a very good deal with the combination) and I wanted to try the native lens. Also, since this is my most used lens, I felt it would be more convenient to have it in an R mount for the R and keep the EF mount for my DSLRs. But, I'm not itching to buy any other R mount lenses and will simply wait and see what Canon releases in the next few years as far as both DSLRs and mirrorless cameras before making any major lens purchases.

I continue to think that Canon made a mistake in not producing an adapter to allow R lenses to be used on DSLRs. My personal opinion is that R mount lenses won't really take off so long as people are using both mirrorless and DSLRs side by side and an R adapter for DSLRs would have allowed them to further promote the interchangeability of the system. However I'm not Canon.

Bottom line: I don't think anyone should worry about their EF lenses suddenly going obsolete. Perhaps in the future, Canon will introduce some features that take advantage of the new R mount that can't be done with an EF lens, but even in that case, it's not going to suddenly make the EF lenses quit working, or work less well than they do today.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I continue to think that Canon made a mistake in not producing an adapter to allow R lenses to be used on DSLRs.
There's physically no way to do this.
Sure there is. It would require optics in the adapter, and would almost certainly result in a loss of image quality, but it’s possible.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I criticized Canon for dropping support for a capacity that one would expect to find for no discernable reason.
No reason that you can discern. Again, the failing is on your part, not Canon’s. The fact that the R has 1080p24 and the RP does not makes it clear that the omission was purposeful. But you don’t get it, you don’t like it, you went on a rant over it, then you went off the rails when others chose not to jump in the crap pile with you.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
As Unfocused said: I don't think anyone should worry about their EF lenses suddenly going obsolete. Perhaps in the future, Canon will introduce some features that take advantage of the new R mount that can't be done with an EF lens, but even in that case, it's not going to suddenly make the EF lenses quit working, or work less well than they do today.

The introduction of IBIS will probably be one of those features. My guess is that to get the best performance of IBIS and OS working in tandem, that you will need the faster communication speeds of the R lenses.

Mind you, this is just a guess...

In the meantime, all my EF glass works on an R. That makes it crystal clear that Canon did not abandon all those EF users. This gives us time to gradually migrate to the new system, plus it gives Canon time to gradually introduce that new system. We ended up with a graceful transition instead of a discontinuity.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
No reason that you can discern. Again, the failing is on your part, not Canon’s. The fact that the R has 1080p24 and the RP does not makes it clear that the omission was purposeful. But you don’t get it, you don’t like it, you went on a rant over it, then you went off the rails when others chose not to jump in the crap pile with you.
Perhaps you should try to explain to him how higher end cameras have more features than lower end cameras :)

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I understand your position

I wish some of these discussions wouldn’t escalate but it’s a free country.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these intense debates turn more casual people off from posting. It might reinforce a troll vs fanboy image for websites like this. I want to assume that there’s a middle ground but am not sure what that is
The problem is that there are so many posts by Sony trolls/shills/hopefuls in need of validation for a decision that they may or may not make if Canon don't do X Y or Z, that people vent their frustrations very easily now. And I say Sony trolls etc because there are not constant idiotic and annoying comments from people lauding Fuji or Olympus or Nikon etc. Just Sony. So basically now if anyone dares mention Sony then expect flak. Rightly or wrongly those making legitimate points will be lumped in with the trolls.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You should have felt insulted. That you were unaware of or unconcerned about this insult does not alter the fact that it was an insult. If someone were to call you a dirty ~$?!*!%+×@ to your face and if you were not bothered by that fact, we would rightly say that you were insulted and also that you took the insult in stride. The act determines the characteristics attributed to it, not the feelings of the target.

I'm more insulted by the fact that someone else thinks they get to decide what should and should not insult me. But before you get all tingly and self-satisfied, you should realize I'm only insulted about 0.001 on a scale of 1-10 by your presumption that you get to decide how everyone else should be insulted about lack of a video feature on a camera I bought for the sole purpose of shooting still images.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm much, more insulted that I had to pay for any video technology/features in a camera I never, ever intend to use to record video footage. That's what dedicated video cameras are for. You know, like the kinds of cameras those "in the industry" use for video production?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
My attitude toward photography is simple: "how can I stand out if I shoot like everybody else?". I hate repeating what a billion on our planet is doing. I want to do something else.

You can start by framing something interesting in a way that others find aesthetically pleasing. Do that well and you can get away with the worst camera and lens currently on the market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Your claim would make sense with respect to what I wrote if I had demanded outrageous performance capabilities in a modestly priced camera. I criticized Canon for dropping support for a capacity that one would expect to find for no discernable reason.

I thought your superior discernment determined that the reason Canon dropped support for 1080p 24fps was "scorn for their customers" or something along those lines?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Fools are often tireless, they do not learn from experience and they look to others to validate their foolishness.

Ok, I'll try to say this in a way that you can understand.

i_know_you_are_pee_wee_herman.gif

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My attitude toward photography is simple: "how can I stand out if I shoot like everybody else?". I hate repeating what a billion on our planet is doing. I want to do something else.

You can start by framing something interesting in a way that others find aesthetically pleasing. Do that well and you can get away with the worst camera and lens currently on the market.

To be fair, I find it admirable that someone is trying to find a new way to express himself or herself through photography. The key, though, is to have something to say other than just making something look different. My college photography professor used a panoramic camera, but never shot panoramas. Instead he used the camera as a documentary tool, shooting ordinary scenes in extraordinary ways. He went on to work for Ansel Adams and his wife eventually became Adams' official biographer.

I mentioned Andreas Gursky in my original response. Gursky has used large format cameras and film and painstaking digital manipulation to create a unique vision and earn himself a permanent place in the history of photography. Kudos to Besisika for trying to forge his own vision.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
To be fair, I find it admirable that someone is trying to find a new way to express himself or herself through photography. The key, though, is to have something to say other than just making something look different. My college photography professor used a panoramic camera, but never shot panoramas. Instead he used the camera as a documentary tool, shooting ordinary scenes in extraordinary ways. He went on to work for Ansel Adams and his wife eventually became Adams' official biographer.

I mentioned Andreas Gursky in my original response. Gursky has used large format cameras and film and painstaking digital manipulation to create a unique vision and earn himself a permanent place in the history of photography. Kudos to Besisika for trying to forge his own vision.

Along those lines, I like to recognize Jerry Uelsmann, who can make better composites with film, chemicals, and a darkroom than I can with photoshop and a supercomputer, e.g., this 1976 print (untitled):

1BBA5ED8-789C-4497-9E14-0C3AA37D9CB3.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

I'm not criticizing Besisika for wanting to stand out. I'm making the observation that gear that is minisculely better than what the "billion other people" are using isn't the way to get there.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Along those lines, I like to recognize Jerry Uelsmann, who can make better composites with film, chemicals, and a darkroom than I can with photoshop and a supercomputer, e.g., this 1976 print (untitled):

View attachment 185908
Yeah! Go Jerry. Amazing too because he had the courage to go against the then-dominant f64 heritage that preached straight photography as the only acceptable way to create photographic art. (In the U.S. at least -- in Europe there had long been a more accepting and inclusive view of photography as art thanks to artists like Man Ray and Moholy Nagy.)

Upvote 0