Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Rumourhasit

Eos R5, Eos 7Dii
CR Pro
Sep 28, 2018
A lower priced eosR camera than the eosRP will be a gift to all Canon hater. The YouTube reviewers would have a field day ripping apart canon and anyone defending them. If they don’t release a mirror less 7Diii or a 5D they will piss off any remaining Canon support that want a decent canon alternative to the Sony A7 whatever

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I just assume the M line will take over. I’m not sure, but I think they are in the Rebel price range. With a possible new ultra low dollar FF on the horizon, I just figured the Rebels were doomed.
Well there is definitely a trend, but to pronounce death I believe is premature :)

You can buy a new Rebel kit from B&H today for $349, the cheapest M kit is $479, that is 37% more expensive in a market dominated by price sensitivity. I do not believe Canon are losing money on either though they probably aren’t making much on them.

The Rebel range has an enormous choice of secondhand lenses in all focal lengths and price brackets, the M range has very few and they are not cheap.

I do not see the M range ever being an effective Rebel replacement, the R range is decades away from having the ubiquity of the EOS range even if they end up making APS-C sized R’s.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
I’m not rush for new R body, just use the R until a more capable body comes out then I will change.
The economics is quite straightforward for me, it will be 6 months until the one i want comes out and another year before it becomes affordable, a 1500 R covers a hole until then and provides an extra second body in the long run

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Every photographer I know is perched on the fence ready to jump ship to Sony (or Fuji) if Canon doesn't drop an A7RIV equivalent in an R series mirrorless format before spring wedding season kicks off. GEEZ. Whats the dealio Canon? Nobody wants a new DSLR format 5D MKV. Though it would be WONDERFUL if one of the new R bodies was a Sony a7III equivalent (with 2 card slots) and priced accordingly.
Actually, Ed, if you'd been around for longer than your single post around here you'd know that your "nobody wants" comment is nothing more than silliness and ignorance. Go buy the Sony. All your friends too.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Every photographer I know is perched on the fence ready to jump ship to Sony (or Fuji) if Canon doesn't drop an A7RIV equivalent in an R series mirrorless format before spring wedding season kicks off. GEEZ. Whats the dealio Canon? Nobody wants a new DSLR format 5D MKV. Though it would be WONDERFUL if one of the new R bodies was a Sony a7III equivalent (with 2 card slots) and priced accordingly.
The type of photographers that jump ship tend to just do that, its too much hassle for someone that takes pictures and they just accept the short comings as the end pic is acceptable with any modern camera, jumpers tend to be on elastic and careful questioning of their photographic career reveals a history of such and a mantra of gear.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Yea, I'm keen for the high resolution model, but likely too broke to buy it (until I justify it to myself). My 5D IV is delivering what it needs to, but I sure would love some extra cropping power.

How do you like your M6II? I've been toying with the idea of creating an ultra light camera setup for landscape photography on longer backpacking trips, and the M6II is close to the top of my list. No mater how I tinker with my 5D IV setup, I'm struggling to reduce weight down to a place where I'm really satisfied with both lens range I can carry vs weight. M6II is really appealing because it offloads a lot of stuff I don't really use (including the viewfinder), but I'm a bit hesitant because I'm not sure of the lens quality... How do you like the M6II?

I love the M6II. I bought it primarily for the purpose you just mentioned (light travel kit) but frankly I find I'm shooting it far more than I did (or do) shoot my 5DIV. I take it with me on a walk nearly every day. Now lens choices...

I got the 18-150 kit, and the 18-150 is on a shelf... not impressed with the image quality I got out of it ALTHOUGH it is better than not having one and can be made to work. I'm just accustomed to shooting Zeiss glass so I guess I'm a little spoiled by that.

I have both the Sigma 56 and the 30mm contempary primes for EF-M and I like them both. They are not quite as small as the EFM lenses but the quality is very good, very satisfied with them both.

The EF-M 11-22 is a keeper as well. I think IQ could be a tad better but it isn't bad at all and visibly superior to the 18-150 so that one remains a part of the kit.

The EF-M 22 is another gem, nice and sharp and SMALL...definite keeper.

The only hole I have for a light travel kit is the telephoto zoom. More than likely I will opt for an EF or EFS 55-200 or 250. I haven't evaluated either yet from a quality standpoint but I think they are supposed to be better than the 18-150 (hard to find direct comparisons). Outside of that it will be the 11-22, the Sigma 30, and whatever I decide on the telephoto zoom. That will be a tidy kit for work travel, or extended backpacking.

Daily however, I find myself shooting the Sigma primes (56 mainly), an adapted Zeiss 135 APO which is a dream but is manual focus of course, 180mmL macro, and a 100-400L v1 from time to time.

With good light the image quality is right up there, plenty of highlight recovery and the low light noise isn't too bad. It isn't as good as the 5DIV but it's better than I ever expected it would be...and so far I haven't seen any banding at all. Good light I can shoot up to ISO 6400 if needed and be pretty happy. While I haven't done an extensive amount of landscape work with it yet... I'm confident it will get me good images.

btw - I haven't taken the EVF off the camera in quite some time, I find it pretty good.

***take a look at my Flickr and you will find some images to take a look at.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Here we go again, welcome to Wonderful Sony World Ship -Jumping.
PS: I'm just one of many nobodies...:p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
While I'm waiting for my 1DX Mark III preorder to be processed, the next camera I would like is a EOS-1FX Mark III, for film. I would love to have the updated AF (head/eye), increased coverage focus points, metering, etc. into a fast 35mm film camera.
Is there a market for such a thing? Of course there is still a market for film, albeit much reduced and perhaps about the same size as that of the specialized Leica "M Monochrom". But still, some small market.

I do, however, think the future of stills capture is video... Full raw video capture at your chosen frame rate from which you can select the best frame that captures the moment. Mind you, this doesn't mean continuous video capture for hours on end; its you, the photographer, pressing the shutter button while the interesting thing occurs. Then afterwards, you pick out the individual frame(s) you want, which are in the same resolution and quality as if you had captured it as a still. A millisecond in facial expressions, in sports action, etc. can make the difference between a good shot and a great shot. You get that flexibility with video capture.
Just an aside on your one.
Maybe there are cameras there now but I have Instax camera with the Polaroid type film. I was really surprised at the time you couldn’t get a combined Instant film and digital camera. A camera phone lens would do.

Upvote 0
I read a lot of people bemoaning the higher MP version of an R, but as a 5DIV shooter (landscape) I'm not quite sure what else you would do as a mirroless replacement for that. The R already has the resolution of the 5DIV, and for landscape shooting I suspect the biggest gripe is one card slot (which I didn't have till I got the IV anyway). For me personally higher MP and equal or better dynamic range is what I would be looking for in a landscape body.

I realize perspectives may be different if you're shooting other subjects, but there are a lot of nature/landscape shooters out there, and many of them would opt for more resolution if the performance of the resulting smaller pixels can be up to the level we see in the 5DIV. Judging by the M6 Mark II which I also have and love, I think that possibility is real.

I guess we will know soon.
As someone who mostly shoots landscapes and some wildlife, I would comment that the desire for a 5DSR replacement is as good or better resolution (50 mp today going up to something higher) but as importantly better DR, noise control, etc. The only reason I like the two card slots is I can buy cheaper cards and not have to swap them in the field. I don't shoot to two cards (maybe I am crazy).

When I want to use this body for wildlife I need better FPS, focusing system, better high ISO/low light handling and IBIS/eye focus would be great. I use mostly canon glass so IBIS is not critical as most of my lenses are stabilized, but when I do pick up a third party lens IBIS would be nice.

The 5DSR sucks at low light and the focusing system is pretty bad.

I seriously considered the Mark IV as a wildlife rig but decided to wait to see if anything would come out to replace the 7DII as either a crop sensor or as a replacement for the 5DSR with a crop mode.

Hoping the new higher res camera will address some of these needs (would be wildly happy if it addressed most of them)! If not, I would still be in the market for a wildlife rig. A low MP, video centric camera would not fit the bill. I would get the 1D Mark III before that type of setup.

Upvote 0
Elaborate please. Why does a ARRI have one slot, or a red, or a C200 or so many other cameras have only one? Could it be that there isn’t always a need for two? Or that media and writing data become more reliable, or that card have come down in price and contain more storage? One card slot is not going to slow you down or hinder you. Is having two slots nice? Sure but it is not going to hinder you. Was only one role of film sufficient for alllllll those film cameras?

Do we really need to read stuff like that? You name professional film cameras, cameras, which are being mounted on a professional rigs, having external recorders most of the time. Your whole point and comparison to something like recent or upcoming Canon R cameras is simply completly thrown out of the base. E.g. no wedding photographer/camera man is going to have identical workflow to Arri or Red users you've just mentioned.

Upvote 0
OK my own personal observation on the slot issue. I was nervous about having only one, but I've been shooting professionally with an R since it came out and I honestly don't think about it anymore. I've still got my 5Div as a backup, but for 10 years I've never had a card failure. I've had to replace a circuit board in the iv, though. That tells me a memory card is in the same approximate neighborhood of electronics IN GENERAL for reliability--and why not? Circuit boards and memory chips are not so totally different, I think... I know that's a small sample population, but just saying.

And yeah I like the R better than the 5Div. For the focusing mainly, but size and compactness, too. I use TS-E lenses mostly.......

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Oh my ... 4 Canon cameras wedding photogs have no need for and no 5DV equivalent. If Canon thinks, that we want to move to the high megapixel nonsense, then they are pretty much wrong. And btw - high speed sports body with low megapixels has absolutly no sense. There is already 1DX III with low-enough resolution, and lower than 20mpx will surely not make 7D II followers happy.

What I also wonder is - if there is any truth to the EOS Rm, which would cost cca 800 USD, is there really still a future for the EOS-M cameras, apart from its relatively smaller bodies and lens?
Oh my ... 4 Canon cameras wedding photogs have no need for and no 5DV equivalent. If Canon thinks, that we want to move to the high megapixel nonsense, then they are pretty much wrong. And btw - high speed sports body with low megapixels has absolutly no sense. There is already 1DX III with low-enough resolution, and lower than 20mpx will surely not make 7D II followers happy.

What I also wonder is - if there is any truth to the EOS Rm, which would cost cca 800 USD, is there really still a future for the EOS-M cameras, apart from its relatively smaller bodies and lens?
Everybody is indeed different. I like the fact that you expressed your need otherwise, people like me would assume that you do not exist.
I have been waiting for these two categories of camera since 6D II. I didn't go for any of the 5D after 5D III because I do not believe in DSLR lens investment any longer. It is time to move to mirrorless. At least that what I think.
As far as the specs, I actually need one high megapixel for my portrait work and one low megapixel for my video work (relatively small for gimbal low light work). A general purpose camera is of no upgrade for me. I will skip on the 1DX III so that I could move to these two at the end of the year or beginning of next year. This rumor has been my best news since 4 -5 years ago. I hope, they will materialize.
Again, everybody's need is different.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Hahaha it really is. It makes me giggle. They all complain but they will still buy.

You want to bet?

I have a 7DII, and a lens-kit built around it. I won't buy one of these, probably ever. All I'm interested in is a true 7DII upgrade, and that either means an SLR or a mirrorless with EVF technology far superior to anything I've tried - which is most things except the A9 (can't find one in my state).

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I've photographed a good few weddings, I'll happily do it with a camera with a single card slot. No I have never had a card fail, I have lost them (which is my failure not the cards).

I have had a card fail at a paid-shooting event. Not fun. I did get back all but one image taken, but it took a couple of months.

• Haha
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
We already have the 1DX Mark III announced, so my guess would be two EF & two RF
  1. 1DX Mark III --- We know about this one.
  2. Canon 5D Mark V (EF-mount) --- To compete with Nikon D850
  3. Canon RF (high megapixel) --- to compete with Sony A7R IV, Nikon Z7, and Panasonic S1R
  4. Canon RF (low megapixel, Video centric) --- to compete with Sony A7s line

Upvote 0