Canon will release the EOS Ra astrophotography camera

I'm not familiar with this list of inexpensive astro bodies. Sure you can get a used 60a but inexpensive is relevant, isn't it?

Here’s what I’m thinking of. These aren’t conventional camera bodies (they don’t have viewfinders, etc.), but they have cooled chips for long exposures and other capabilities for deep-sky astrophotography.

Cameras like these didn’t exist when the D60a was introduced, so I’m just saying that the world of astrophotography has largely moved beyond the need for uncooled DSLRs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Or the "a" could stand for "advanced"... or for "all-around"... or for "all weather"... or for "ali g"... so many possibilities....

Could it also be "A" for Canon EOS R apsc? or "A" for action (speed focused?)

I honestly don't understand Canon's model naming, from a business stand point why are there so many models? For example why not consolidate into three for four for both APSC and FF with one mount like sony? What does Rp stand for? What does R stand for?

If you want sports get an a9, if you want studio get a a7r, if you want low light get an a7s, if you're not sure and just want to try both get an a7. Where as in canon you have the m mount cameras, the rf mount cameras, the ef mount cameras, cameras that efs lenses can only work on, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Here’s what I’m thinking of. These aren’t conventional camera bodies (they don’t have viewfinders, etc.), but they have cooled chips for long exposures and other capabilities for deep-sky astrophotography.

Cameras like these didn’t exist when the D60a was introduced, so I’m just saying that the world of astrophotography has largely moved beyond the need for uncooled DSLRs.
I'm not sure inexpensive comes into play here what with the need for the tele, and all of it's accouterments. Plus, and this seems like a huge plus...monochrome? If that's the way to keep costs down then ok.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The cost of modifying the sensor and tweaking the firmware to create a astro-photography camera version of a existing model is minimal, all the mechanical parts and electronic parts with the exception of the sensor don't change, so repair and maintenance do not need new tools and minimal spare parts. Canon has experience doing it, so R&D is also not needed.

As long as sales are high enough to make a profit, in times of dropping sales, every bit helps. It seems like a no brainer as long as it will sell.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I'm not sure inexpensive comes into play here what with the need for the tele, and all of it's accouterments. Plus, and this seems like a huge plus...monochrome? If that's the way to keep costs down then ok.

An RGB Bayer filter absorbs precious photons and often astro shooters are interested in specific narrowband wavelengths anyway. So monochrome plus separate filters is where it’s at.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Plus, and this seems like a huge plus...monochrome? If that's the way to keep costs down then ok.
Imaging in color means you are throwing a lot of signal away. Few things in space emit green light, but half of a color sensor is dedicated just for sensing green light. Monochrome does get better results if you are ready to deal with the effort that is high end Astro.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'd love to see something like Astro Tracer, auto staking options, and programmable exposure routines. Something like: take 20 30s frames at high ISO with Astro Tracer, close the sensor dust shield and repeat (for darks), then repeat again with a built-in way to get flat frames. Internally store darks and flats for reuse in the future if I'm using the same lens at a similar operating temperature.
That would be great.

Upvote 0
The cost of modifying the sensor and tweaking the firmware to create a astro-photography camera version of a existing model is minimal, all the mechanical parts and electronic parts with the exception of the sensor don't change, so repair and maintenance do not need new tools and minimal spare parts. Canon has experience doing it, so R&D is also not needed.

As long as sales are high enough to make a profit, in times of dropping sales, every bit helps. It seems like a no brainer as long as it will sell.

I think this is an area where Sony fell down (star eater issue), so it'd be good to lock the astro nerds into the platform. Not much of a downside. Would also give people the impression that there are new Canon mirrorless cameras coming out during this embarrassing hiatus.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Cameras like these didn’t exist when the D60a was introduced,

They existed well before DSLR became common. Anyway a 24-32 megapixel astro camera with a 35mm sensor is far from being cheap, AFAIK. Sure, a cooled camera with an automatic filters wheel can deliver more 'professional' images, but it's also slower and more complex to use, and requires beefier batteries.

Upvote 0
indeed. about the only difficulty would be fixing the IR light leak that exists with the EOS R.

the essence is just a hot mirror IR/UV change to the existing camera, and voila, it's an astro camera.

of course they could add different things to the camera such as a longer timer,etc. but it's a pretty easy R&D based camera to come out with.

Ironically if they do come out with an EOS Ra astro edition, it may be the best EOS R to actually convert to IR versus the original EOS R.

I can't find the article but from talking to Kolari Vision, if one is wanting an IR/Astro camera - the EOS RP is the best full frame mirrorless camera out there for that application right now.
forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between an IR camera and an astro?

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Upvote 0
forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between an IR camera and an astro?
not alot actually. just a different filter in front of the sensor.

IR camera would have a cut filter for IR frequencies, while an astro has visible plus a cut filter for h-alpha spectrum.

a full spectrum or two spectrum camera can do all .. color, ir and specific astro.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Amazing, i mean in today’s world you have millions of youtubers waiting for a great video camera from canon, and Canon is thinking about the most niche market ever. Like they are trying hard not to make sales. Couldn’t try harder.

Canon has many not just great but incredibly superb video cameras.
It appears you tubers jut do video so they just are not bright enough to use a real video camera. If they need a still it can be pulled easy enough from the video.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0