Canon XC10 to Get Major Firmware Update for NAB? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’ve been told by a couple of people that the Canon XC10 will get a major firmware update for NAB next month.</p>
<p>While a few people have been very positive about this unique camera, most people out there that we have talked to have found it to be cumbersome to use. If the firmware is indeed a “major” one, I’d expect usability and image quality improvements.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1134581-REG/canon_0565c013_xc10.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x622194" target="_blank">Canon XC10 Camcorder $1999 at B&H Photo</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

mkabi said:
If this is the surprise at NAB... *shakes head*

DANG!! You beat me to it! I was going to say: Canon's big surprise is that they're still trying to make this product a success, rather than admitting it might have been the worst single product release in the last few years (and that's saying a lot).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Etienne said:
That guy in Omaha who bought this camera will be happy. Who knows ... maybe the new firmware will generate another sale and the two owners can form a club.

The XC10 is like having a superpower with a crippling limitation. Like being able to fly... but only if it's to get you to work in the morning.

What amazing next infuriating option will Canon give us?

• An 8k rig with no lens or lens mount whatsoever?

• A 24-70 f/2.8L IS with the IS switch permanently set to 'Off'?

• A new 50mm f/1.4 IS USM with an FX mount?

• An FF rig with built in radio functionality... but it's FM through a speaker?

- A

Upvote 0

StenR

Writer and zero-budget filmmaker
Since I own and am very happy with my XC10 as very portable professional 4k cam, as a CPS customer and having paid a considerable sum for it, I would certainly appreciate firmware improvements like more than 2x magnification, adjustable degree of noise reduction/smoothing and even more settings accessible directly from the touch screen. Let's hope it's true but hope for new great products as well at NAB.

Upvote 0
mkabi said:
See, people (especially on this forum) see that this thing is not selling and start believing that 4K is just not in demand. Yeah well, there was enough of a demand to warrant the creation of this thing... ???

I really don't think anyone here has said that. I've not seen it as a justification for opposing 4K. Mind you, not many people seem to oppose it, just not all that many seem thrilled to have it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
scyrene said:
mkabi said:
See, people (especially on this forum) see that this thing is not selling and start believing that 4K is just not in demand. Yeah well, there was enough of a demand to warrant the creation of this thing... ???

I really don't think anyone here has said that. I've not seen it as a justification for opposing 4K. Mind you, not many people seem to oppose it, just not all that many seem thrilled to have it.

Exactly. I'm no videographer, but 4K is 100% in demand (it's practically an expectation!). Many camera systems have it now, hell, even phones have some form of it these days.

But Canon will only give 4K to us with a modular lens mount in 1D and Cinema rigs. So to offer 4k in a fixed lens / small sensor / ergonomic disaster of a product instead of offering a sub $6,000 4k rig with a modular lens mount angered just about... well... everyone (on this forum at least).

(This is probably also why we can't have a decent chat about the 5D4 without a 'if it doesn't have 4K, I'm going to leave' discussion take over.)

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
scyrene said:
mkabi said:

Exactly. I'm no videographer, but 4K is 100% in demand (it's practically an expectation!). Many camera systems have it now, hell, even phones have some form of it these days.

But Canon will only give 4K to us with a modular lens mount in 1D and Cinema rigs. So to offer 4k in a fixed lens / small sensor / ergonomic disaster of a product instead of offering a sub $6,000 4k rig with a modular lens mount angered just about... well... everyone (on this forum at least).

(This is probably also why we can't have a decent chat about the 5D4 without a 'if it doesn't have 4K, I'm going to leave' discussion take over.)

- A

Wait, that wasn't what I was saying at all! 100% in demand as in 100% of people demand it? I really don't think most consumers are aware of what it is precisely, and very few yet have a device they can view it on full size (leaving aside arguments about stabilisation, cropping, etc. which are for enthusiasts). I do think it will be standard on DSLRs and other cameras pretty soon - maybe in the next 3 years - so I don't think it's necessary for people to get upset about. I just don't think anybody is making the argument here that this odd device is selling poorly, therefore 4K is bad/unwanted. That would be a step too far even for CR! ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
scyrene said:
Wait, that wasn't what I was saying at all! 100% in demand as in 100% of people demand it? I really don't think most consumers are aware of what it is precisely, and very few yet have a device they can view it on full size (leaving aside arguments about stabilisation, cropping, etc. which are for enthusiasts). I do think it will be standard on DSLRs and other cameras pretty soon - maybe in the next 3 years - so I don't think it's necessary for people to get upset about. I just don't think anybody is making the argument here that this odd device is selling poorly, therefore 4K is bad/unwanted. That would be a step too far even for CR! ;)

And I'm just saying that people -- as crude and oversimplifying as we can be sometimes -- are not doing that in this case. No one is claiming XC10's sales are proof that 4K is overrated or not needed. Everyone (that I've read from here) is mad that the SLR video revolution Canon created is being held back / limited by Canon pricing those same 5D2 pioneers out of the best features.

- A

Upvote 0
I'm interested to see what this firmware update brings. As a photographer who does some video, I believe Canon may have had us in mind when designing this camera especially ergonomically. I borrowed it for a weekend and loved many things about it but some things were deal breakers. From memory, they were;
- ISO access (slow)
- F stop only to 11
- Focus magnification x2 (only)
- led small and not hi res
- focus touch doesn't work in 4K (only 1080)
- variable aperture (although I could live with this considering weight and zoom)

Otherwise, I loved the picture quality, the weight of the camera, the menu system, the swivel handle, the dslr feel (coming from a photographer) and battery compatibility with 5DIII.

ps regarding it getting a firmware update, I also heard this from a Canon dealer earlier this week

Upvote 0
StenR said:
Since I own and am very happy with my XC10 as very portable professional 4k cam, as a CPS customer and having paid a considerable sum for it, I would certainly appreciate firmware improvements like more than 2x magnification, adjustable degree of noise reduction/smoothing and even more settings accessible directly from the touch screen. Let's hope it's true but hope for new great products as well at NAB.

Are you from Omaha? ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
We rent really expensive cinematography glass & cameras all the way down to the XC10. At £ 1,500 it is cheap so I really dont get some of the dumb remarks about it clearly some people just like to complain about anything.
People who rent it just want a bog standard video camera that they can use for 4K recces and for that its perfect.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It seems like a perfectly decent B cam for event work. It's self-contained, cheap-ish, light, easy to pack, it's got decent battery capacity, and a good zoom.

You can set it up at the back of a room, get some coverage for editing, and you don't have to worry about running past 29:59. The files aren't too compressed, so you can do color correction and mild cropping in post. Almost any assistant can operate it with minimal training. What's not to like?

It's not meant to be an A cam, but it will save you a lot of aggravation when somebody steps in front of your main shot and you need something to edit-in.

Upvote 0
The best thing about users casually mocking the XC10, is that I know who to immediately write off as clueless posers.

Forum threads read so much quicker when you can auto skip a number of user names right away.

Things like the FCPX launch and a little camera like the XC10 says a lot about humanity in general and internet culture more specifically.

Don't let me stop you—carry on doing what you know best.

Upvote 0