Canon XC15 Coming Shortly?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
There might be a product surprise in store for us in the coming weeks, in the form of a replacement to the XC10. A oddball camera that had far more detractors than affectionate users.</p>
<p>The leak seems to have happened on a Canon New Zealand support pages (<a href="http://support-nz.canon.co.nz/contents/NZ/EN/8202594800.html">here</a> & <a href="http://support-nz.canon.co.nz/contents/NZ/EN/8202599500.html">here</a>). We’re trying to get confirmation on the imminent announcement of such a camera. <a href="http://nokiS___a-camera.blogspot.ie/2016/08/3.html">NokiS___a may have also published</a> a SKU for the XC15.</p>
<p>If it was going to be announced, we’d expect it to be announced alongside the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-cinema-eos-c700-coming-in-2016-cr2/">Canon Cinema EOS C700</a> on or around September 1, 2016 ahead of IBC. Be sure to check out our C700 coverage from back in May <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-cinema-eos-c700-coming-in-2016-cr2/">here</a>.</p>
<p> </p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 30, 2013
They can start by fixing the price. It really should be a $1500 camera.
Offering raw photo shooting would be another bonus.
Improving the lens and offering higher frame rates would also be nice.

It's not a horrible camera. Sure the lens leaves something to be desired. People are turned off by it because of the higher price and that if feels like Canon rubbing it in our face that they aren't going to build us an interchangeable lens 4K shooting APS-C DSLR anytime soon. They keep skating around giving us the 4K camera that we want the same way Sony used to skate around giving us 24P recording in all their earlier DV cameras.

Upvote 0
It wouldn't take much to make the XC15 much better for it's limited niche. DPAF. A couple more buttons. Attachable servo. Better viewfinder. I don't even mind the lens, but any improvement would be appreciated as long as it doesn't add weight. Add those and I will buy one and keep my XC10 as a b-cam.

I don't completely understand the complaints about the XC10. Most of the people I've let use it, fall in love with it. Especially people that aren't trained videographers or care about specs. It's not even overpriced. I have lenses that cost more than the XC10. It's a tool and it is a very useful tool for certain events.

Upvote 0
I love the idea of the XC10, but what it is at it's current price is just such a huge rip-off. It does not do a single thing that the $700 Panasonic FZ1000 can't do, except for offer Canon color science & C-Log. Now I am actually one of those people willing to pay a premium for Canon color and C-Log to match my A & B cams, but....at the end of the day it's still a C cam that really only fits smaller productions. And at it's current price point there's almost zero ROI for that demographic.

Fingers crossed the XC15 is a different story. Hopefully Canon does the following:

1. Offers a compressed bitrate for 4k (~100mbps, so wedding filmmakers....a HUGE C100 base....can actually let it roll on a ceremony without worrying about card space)
2. Allows that compressed 4k to record to SD cards (absolutely no reason it shouldn't)
3. Fixes all the obvious things (more dedicated buttons, ISO etc., upgrades or just flat out ditches snap-on viewfinder - personally I'm fine if it just has a nice flip-out screen a la X0D line, either removes focus by wire or adds DPAF, and reduces the zoom range for a constant aperture).

As roxics said, it needs to be $1500. And I would buy it at that price. If It's more expensive, I'll just keep grading my GH4 footage to match my Canons.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
roxics said:
They can start by fixing the price. It really should be a $1500 camera.
Offering raw photo shooting would be another bonus.
Improving the lens and offering higher frame rates would also be nice.

It's not a horrible camera. Sure the lens leaves something to be desired. People are turned off by it because of the higher price and that if feels like Canon rubbing it in our face that they aren't going to build us an interchangeable lens 4K shooting APS-C DSLR anytime soon. They keep skating around giving us the 4K camera that we want the same way Sony used to skate around giving us 24P recording in all their earlier DV cameras.

except the XC10 camcorder is one of the few .. if not the only camera that is broadcast compliant with professional codecs under 2K.

Perhaps start there and work your way through it again.

Upvote 0
CarlMillerPhoto said:
I love the idea of the XC10, but what it is at it's current price is just such a huge rip-off. It does not do a single thing that the $700 Panasonic FZ1000 can't do, except for offer Canon color science & C-Log.

Holy Batman! People... just stop...

"…except for: Canon color and C-log"

This forum frustrates me to now end. There it is. Those two things you mention pretty much sum up what the XC-10 is. Those two plus the professional codec—INTRA frame, 422, 305Mbps that you fail to mention.

So yes... apart from the things that make the XC-10 GREAT, it is sort of exactly like the FZ1000.......... a-hum…

I soooo wish the XC-15 comes it at $3495 with a few improvements, because that will make it a cheap tool for people who understand it, instead of a head scratcher for everyone else looking for a <$1000 product.

You just have to sympathise with Canon here.... 96% of the feedback this camera got was probably from a similar perspective as above.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
CarlMillerPhoto said:
I love the idea of the XC10, but what it is at it's current price is just such a huge rip-off. It does not do a single thing that the $700 Panasonic FZ1000 can't do

sure if you ignore a 300Mbs bitrate professional C300 codec that is in it.

AndreeOnline said:
This forum frustrates me to now end. There it is. Those two things you mention pretty much sum up what the XC-10 is. Those two plus the professional codec—INTRA frame, 422, 305Mbps that you fail to mention.

Here come the fanboys. You do realize that just 50mbps is the broadcast standard, right? And that the XC10 is only 8 bit? I suppose if you spent money on the XC10 you have to then justify it somehow. Feel free to link to any work of yours that required the 305mbps. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

AndreeOnline said:
I soooo wish the XC-15 comes it at $3495 with a few improvements, because that will make it a cheap tool for people who understand it, instead of a head scratcher for everyone else looking for a <$1000 product.

You just have to sympathise with Canon here.... 96% of the feedback this camera got was probably from a similar perspective as above.

This is my favorite. If 96% of the feedback is counter to your position, Canon would be very wise to ignore your opinion.

Upvote 0
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Feel free to link to any work of yours that required the 305mbps.

The first thing is that the XC-10 codec is intra frame and not Long GOP. This is a technical advantage that makes it very robust even with lots of movement in the frame. Things that typically break in Long GOP like foliage in the wind, water or similar scenarios hold up much better. The 305Mbps bitrate makes sure that even at UHD resolution with deep DOF and images with fine detail don't get smeary or blocky. These benefits apply to every frame of every clip regardless if it's of family trips or commercial gimbal shots.

Whether you shoot scenes that demand this level of precision, whether you are a connoisseur that simply enjoy them, or whether you run a business that you position in a way that you need to shoot at this level is up to you.

UHD resolution, Canon's color science, Canon Log and this professional codec are objective, technical specs of the XC-10.

There is no cheaper camera that offers this, and the next step up that checks all the boxes is the C300 mkII for $12000+

The real question becomes this: how come so many people who don't appreciate this specific subset of features need to voice their… I don't know… bitter? spiteful? ignorant? ridiculing? opinion about this camera?

You compared it to the FZ1000 and called the XC-10 a rip-off. What is it about it that makes it a rip-off?

At the same time you request a lesser, more consumer oriented codec. Is that the real problem? You want a cheaper consumer model of the XC-10 with less professional features? Perhaps the problem lies with Canon's marketing. Still, it IS being marketed as a PROFESSIONAL camera.

CarlMillerPhoto said:
This is my favorite. If 96% of the feedback is counter to your position, Canon would be very wise to ignore your opinion.

Too late for that. Since I got my XC-10 a couple of months back, I've been in contact with Canon USA's technical advisor over a period of time. We've been discussing the XC-10, but also my Canon 1Dc and my 1Dx mkII and what the future might hold in terms of firmware there. The fruit of our discussions have now been passed on to Canon for further processing. Sorry.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :'(

StudentOfLight said:
... Just when I had my heart set on pre-ordering a 5D-IV, Canon decides to update the legendary CX10. However will I decide?

Your two comments is exactly the kind of trolling this thread could easily do without. If you have more to say, clump it up into one post, get it out of your system and be done with it.

At least Carl above seems to have a genuine interest in the camera. Why are you posting these kind of comments here regarding a camera whose name you can't spell?

Upvote 0
I've never quite understood why anyone ever feels the need to criticize other peope's use of a different camera than they use. Who cares what other people use? It has no impact on how you use your equipment. Just because a camera doesn't suit your needs, that doesn't mean it is useless for everyone else.

I'm among those who actually would prefer getting an XC15 over a 5D Mark IV. I primarily shoot video, rather than stills, and most of the events are lengthy, where using a camera with a recording time limit isn't an option. I look forward to seeing the improvements Canon might make for the XC15 compared to the XC10.

Upvote 0
AndreeOnline said:
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Feel free to link to any work of yours that required the 305mbps.

The first thing is that the XC-10 codec is intra frame and not Long GOP. This is a technical advantage that makes it very robust even with lots of movement in the frame. Things that typically break in Long GOP like foliage in the wind, water or similar scenarios hold up much better. The 305Mbps bitrate makes sure that even at UHD resolution with deep DOF and images with fine detail don't get smeary or blocky. These benefits apply to every frame of every clip regardless if it's of family trips or commercial gimbal shots.

Whether you shoot scenes that demand this level of precision, whether you are a connoisseur that simply enjoy them, or whether you run a business that you position in a way that you need to shoot at this level is up to you.

UHD resolution, Canon's color science, Canon Log and this professional codec are objective, technical specs of the XC-10.

There is no cheaper camera that offers this, and the next step up that checks all the boxes is the C300 mkII for $12000+

The real question becomes this: how come so many people who don't appreciate this specific subset of features need to voice their… I don't know… bitter? spiteful? ignorant? ridiculing? opinion about this camera?

You compared it to the FZ1000 and called the XC-10 a rip-off. What is it about it that makes it a rip-off?

At the same time you request a lesser, more consumer oriented codec. Is that the real problem? You want a cheaper consumer model of the XC-10 with less professional features? Perhaps the problem lies with Canon's marketing. Still, it IS being marketed as a PROFESSIONAL camera.

CarlMillerPhoto said:

Too late for that. Since I got my XC-10 a couple of months back, I've been in contact with Canon USA's technical advisor over a period of time. We've been discussing the XC-10, but also my Canon 1Dc and my 1Dx mkII and what the future might hold in terms of firmware there. The fruit of our discussions have now been passed on to Canon for further processing. Sorry.

Well said and thank you for posting this.

Upvote 0