Canon XC15 Images Leak Out Ahead of Launch

"I want a bigger sensor and interchangeable lenses."

"So you want a C100 or C300?"

"No, I want the $1,500 camera to do all of that. Why can't they put all of the features in the cheapest camera?"

I never understand the complaint that any company "cripples their cheaper models to protect sales of the expensive ones." Of course they do! As if it would make any sense for Canon (or any company, for that matter, and not just cameras) to do anything different. Of course the $1,500 camera isn't going to have the features of the $8,000 camera. Sony doesn't put everything that is an FS7 in one of their $900 camcorders either.

I'm happy with the XC10. If the XC15 has a few minor improvements and keeps the price the same, then fantastic. To expect an XC15 to suddenly have interchangeable lenses and a big sensor for the same price is unrealistic.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
dp3294 said:

"No, I want the $1,500 camera to do all of that. Why can't they put all of the features in the cheapest camera?"

I never understand the complaint that any company "cripples their cheaper models to protect sales of the expensive ones." Of course they do! As if it would make any sense for Canon (or any company, for that matter, and not just cameras) to do anything different. Of course the $1,500 camera isn't going to have the features of the $8,000 camera. Sony doesn't put everything that is an FS7 in one of their $900 camcorders either.

I'm happy with the XC10. If the XC15 has a few minor improvements and keeps the price the same, then fantastic. To expect an XC15 to suddenly have interchangeable lenses and a big sensor for the same price is unrealistic.
Who asked for a $1500 camera though? No one asked for this camera in general. SOme of us actually have money and are willing to pay more than $5000-$7000 for a good VIDEO camera with 4k 60p. But having a $13000 camera with only 30p 4k as your top cinema camera is pathetic. Canon just continues to give us crippled products to protect their profit and not give us too much. Why upgrade if they gave us everything, right? Always keep your loyal customers begging and waiting for more features.

Upvote 0
cpreston said:
It doesn't look like the cable from the C100 handle would reach that connection port, so I don't think it will be a direct transfer of the handle. I'm sure it is for an audio type attachment, though.

If that is the only addition, it would be a bummer.

I expected to see at least one more button.

Good point. The connection would need to be on the right side of the camera for the C100 handle to work seamlessly. Maybe they made a mini handle/single XLR jack specifically for the XC15? Let's hope that's an accessory and not included and thus justification for another high price tag.

And agreed on the bummer factor if that's the only addition. I'm sure there are some who can't, but I can get by using wireless audio receivers that offer a 3.5mm output if I need good internal audio on my B/C cam. Still, I can see how some would like the option to use phantom powered mics directly on the XC15 without the hassle of other equipment.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
cpreston said:
transpo1 said:
The lens is still 2.8 to 5.6- I was hoping for 2.8 constant aperture. Only way it's worth buying to me unless they increase sensor size to APS-C. I'm not really expecting much here, especially after the disappointing 5DIV.

Either one of those would be an $8000 camera.

The way Canon prices their products, yes, it would be. Yet Sony somehow manages to put a 2.8 constant aperture on their RX10II camera with a 1" sensor for less than $2000 ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
dp3294 said:

We're just asking for basic filmmaking usefulness here- if it's a small sensor video camera with a fixed lens, at least give us a constant aperture zoom; if it's not a constant aperture zoom give us a detachable lens with some alternatives; if it's a larger sensor, maybe compromise on one of those. Or put all of the above in a more expensive model and sell it as the XC30 :) We who love Canon are infuriated when they put their market research before the actual ambition of the product.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Tugela said:
PureClassA said:
When the C700 is announced, I would think we'll see some firmware updates for the C300II.

Nope. To get the firmware upgrades you will need to buy the C300III.

Both wrong- to get the firmware upgrades you need to buy the C700 ::)

Rumor has it the C300II is getting killed by the FS7 at rental houses, and judging by demand among my shooting circles, this seems to be the case. So let's see if Canon addresses this concern at all.

Upvote 0
CarlMillerPhoto said:
cpreston said:
It doesn't look like the cable from the C100 handle would reach that connection port, so I don't think it will be a direct transfer of the handle. I'm sure it is for an audio type attachment, though.

Good point. The connection would need to be on the right side of the camera for the C100 handle to work seamlessly. Maybe they made a mini handle/single XLR jack specifically for the XC15? Let's hope that's an accessory and not included and thus justification for another high price tag.

Looking at the hotshoe closer now, the "slide in" is from the back like a normal hot-shoe, which means the C100 handle cable would be on the left and thus have no problem reaching the input jack also on the left of the XC15! However...that means the handle & XLR inputs would extend out the back of the camera instead of over the lens. That seems very odd ergonomically and like it would interfere with the viewfinder attachment....

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
We're just asking for basic filmmaking usefulness here- if it's a small sensor video camera with a fixed lens, at least give us a constant aperture zoom; if it's not a constant aperture zoom give us a detachable lens with some alternatives; if it's a larger sensor, maybe compromise on one of those. Or put all of the above in a more expensive model and sell it as the XC30 :) We who love Canon are infuriated when they put their market research before the actual ambition of the product.

A fixed aperture 10x zoom lens on a 1" sensor is not going to meet whatever budget you have in mind unless that fixed aperture is f/5.6. If Canon allowed you to detach the lens on the XC10, what would you put on there instead that would make the camera more useful to you and how much would you be willing to pay for that feature.

It sounds like what you want is the Panasonic DVX200. Oh wait, that's only m43 with a variable aperture lens and Panasonic still had to mark it up to $4200.

How much would you be willing to pay for this XC30 with the S35 sensor and constant aperture f/2.8 super zoom lens? Let me take that back. How much would you be willing to pay as a daily rental rate for such a camera? Because very few videographers are going to be able to afford such a camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
cpreston said:
transpo1 said:

A fixed aperture 10x zoom lens on a 1" sensor is not going to meet whatever budget you have in mind unless that fixed aperture is f/5.6. If Canon allowed you to detach the lens on the XC10, what would you put on there instead that would make the camera more useful to you and how much would you be willing to pay for that feature.

It sounds like what you want is the Panasonic DVX200. Oh wait, that's only m43 with a variable aperture lens and Panasonic still had to mark it up to $4200.

How much would you be willing to pay for this XC30 with the S35 sensor and constant aperture f/2.8 super zoom lens? Let me take that back. How much would you be willing to pay as a daily rental rate for such a camera? Because very few videographers are going to be able to afford such a camera.

I guess I stepped in it here. APS-C with 17-55 constant aperture would be more useful in my estimation than the current incarnation. For the rest of the response, I'd again refer you to the Sony RX10ii, a hybrid stills / video shooter with a 1" sensor and an 8.3x zoom range (24-200) at a 2.8 constant aperture priced less than the current XC10- it can be done, my friend. Canon just doesn't want to do it.

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
I guess I stepped in it here. APS-C with 17-55 constant aperture would be more useful in my estimation than the current incarnation. For the rest of the response, I'd again refer you to the Sony RX10ii, a hybrid stills / video shooter with a 1" sensor and an 8.3x zoom range (24-200) at a 2.8 constant aperture priced less than the current XC10- it can be done, my friend. Canon just doesn't want to do it.

That's a good comparison. Personally, the variable zoom doesn't bother me. I bought the XC10 because it fit a need that I had. I found that I was regularly using a C100 with the 18-135 stm lens when I was trying to get quick b-roll footage or cover events. It was an epiphany when I realized that the XC10 was the perfect solution to all of the things that I wished my C100 stm lens combo would do better. I guess the f/2.8 lens would be nice, but I would still be pulling out my C100 when I was worried about low light or lower depth of field. Basically, the XC10 fit a need that I had and I will consider an XC15 if they add DPAF.

Upvote 0

ajm

Live, Shoot, Edit, Repeat
Aug 25, 2016
transpo1 said:
The lens is still 2.8 to 5.6- I was hoping for 2.8 constant aperture. Only way it's worth buying to me unless they increase sensor size to APS-C. I'm not really expecting much here, especially after the disappointing 5DIV.

Yes! I too was hoping for a constant f2.8 on an updated model. But if they stuffed an APS-C sensor in this puppy, I'm all in. I have the XC10 and I call it my super 16 cinema cam. That's pretty much what it is...

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
cpreston said:
transpo1 said:

I my case, it's a matter of trade-offs. The Sony is great in a lot of ways, but their 1" cameras all have that signature harshness...some combination of DR and highlight roll-off. I would LOVE to have a Sony X70 over my XC10, but not with that garish look.

Upvote 0
KrisK said:
transpo1 said:
cpreston said:
transpo1 said:

I my case, it's a matter of trade-offs. The Sony is great in a lot of ways, but their 1" cameras all have that signature harshness...some combination of DR and highlight roll-off. I would LOVE to have a Sony X70 over my XC10, but not with that garish look.

I have a Sony PXW-X70, and I'll buy a XC15 if it has DPAF (which I doubt because I suspect that this time they are using the same sensor), and you have an enormous amount of control of the look through the profiles. You also have XAVC (an excellent codec), 4K, two XLR inputs, power zoom, full articulating touch screen, removable top handle, etc.
You have to play with the profiles to get the look you want, and it can be matched up very close with the Canon look (although I still prefer Canon skin tones, which are typically very good right out of the camera).

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
KrisK said:
transpo1 said:
cpreston said:
transpo1 said:

The Sony cams do have that harshness- I much prefer the look of Canon's color science, as it can look great out of the box and if Canon Log is included, you can be assured of the ability to grade in post. That's why I keep pushing for Canon to deliver value to its long time video customers who have invested in lots of glass and bodies over the years. We're rooting for Canon, we just want them to deliver an all around product for us. Not just speaking of this, but the 5DIV, too.

Upvote 0