Canon's Next EOS 5DS Won't See a Big Resolution Bump

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Little bits of information are coming about Canon’s next EOS 5DS camera body are coming out. The EOS 5DS or EOS 5DS R Mark II is expected to come some time in 2018.</p>
<p>We’re told the new EOS 5DS body will not see a big bump in resolution, while the number isn’t know for sure, we’re told to not expect more than a 20% <del>10%</del> increase. Hopefully image quality is the name of the game from the new high resolution DSLR body from Canon.</p>

<p><strong>*UPDATE*</strong> <em>We had a typo in our original post, it should have read 20% and not 10%. I apologize for the mistake.</em></p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
If they even keep the pixel size the same but improve dynamic range and, most importantly, sensor throughput and write speed (ie frames per second) then it'd be a killer upgrade.

There have already been rumors that they'll offer a true crop mode (where the raw files are cropped and the sensor only pushes through the cropped area so framerate is much faster) which can only be done with on-chip ADC.

This could turn the camera into a really powerful multipurpose camera rather than just a high-resolution specialty. Which is why, if they do this, I think they won't use the name 5DSR II, but it'll be the 2D, or 8D or something like that.

Upvote 0
SO, I was feeling nostalgic for my old 6D. I haven't looked at Canon much since leaving. I pulled up the specs on the 6Dii and WOW - what is Canon doing? Have they given up on competing with anyone except themselves? I had returned a 5DS back when it released, for a multitude of reasons. That's when I left the system. It will be interesting to see what they do with the DS lineup - whether they continue with the lackluster upgrades like the 6Dii or get off their high horse and actually compete for a change. I hope they do turn it around. That D850 is a beast of a camera, but in the end it's still a DSLR and with each passing quarter the exist from these older systems continues.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
jolyonralph said:
If they even keep the pixel size the same but improve dynamic range and, most importantly, sensor throughput and write speed (ie frames per second) then it'd be a killer upgrade.

There have already been rumors that they'll offer a true crop mode (where the raw files are cropped and the sensor only pushes through the cropped area so framerate is much faster) which can only be done with on-chip ADC.

This could turn the camera into a really powerful multipurpose camera rather than just a high-resolution specialty. Which is why, if they do this, I think they won't use the name 5DSR II, but it'll be the 2D, or 8D or something like that.
Mutlipurpose and Canon is almost an oxymoron. "if you want a crop mode get a crop sensor camera"- Canon But at least it will do video (probably crappy codec and maybe 4k) and photos, that is multipurpose...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
jolyonralph said:
Here's a prediction.

If the 5DSR II has less than 60 megapixels, the 7D Mark III will have less than 24.

That's not really a prediction, that's just math. Whatever resolution the 5Ds series has, the 7DIII will of course have the same scaled down resolution, as Canon will almost certainly continue to use the same basic sensor in both.

The real question, I believe, is: will the 5Ds and 7DIII all share essentially the same sensor with the 80D? Or, will it be a new sensor with very similar resolution? I would hope it is the latter, and Canon takes advantage of an additional two- to three-years of sensor development in the new bodies.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
RayValdez360 said:
Mutlipurpose and Canon is almost an oxymoron. "if you want a crop mode get a crop sensor camera"- Canon But at least it will do video (probably crappy codec and maybe 4k) and photos, that is multipurpose...

I wonder how many Nikon Fx users, actually use their wonderful FX camera to shoot DX? And how often?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
your wish was granted. hint: 5D IV - Dual Pixel RAW ;)

Forget subtle focus tweaks, Canon’s Dual Pixel RAW tech can give you an additional stop in the highlights!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/09/01/dual-pixel-raw-redux-forget-focus-tweaks-canons-new-tech-can-yield-an-addit

RGF said:
Be nice if they could separate each half of the dual pixel to work independently. Either better dynamic range or better S/N.

Also increased buffer size and high FPS.

Upvote 0
The 5Ds is positioned to be the cheapest way to get 50.6MP images and is created to compete with cameras with 50-51MP image sensors found in medium format cameras.

Now, using current medium format cameras from Mamiya and Hassleblad as a pointer towards the next MP bump one would get 80MP & 100MP.

And please Canon! For heaven's put a memory card slots that read/write at faster than 167MB/s. CFast (600MB/s) and SDXC UHS-III (624MB/s) should be built-in.

And increase ISO sensitivity that is clean

Upvote 0
Makes sense. If Canon go wild on the resolution (i.e. the fabled 120MP sensor), then they'll limit the corner-to-corner image sharpness to a handful of L-series primes at F4-F9. But a full-frame sensor of 60-70MP will still be able to capitalize on the resolving power of all L-series primes, plus most of the L-series zooms. Keeping the MP bump modest also affords the 5DS II more DR, better noise management, and wider ISO range. All of those are critical if Canon wants to compete with the upcoming Sony a7R III, and the new crop medium format cameras.

Upvote 0
shutterlag said:
WOW - what is Canon doing?
Making a lot of money. Other manufacturers, less so.

Have they given up on competing...?
You misunderstand: Canon is a for-profit business so the word "compete" in that context is a business term, not an engineering term. We may not be entirely satisfied with some of the sensor specs of many of Canon's products, but money still talks.

There is no doubt that certain photographers will find SoNikon compelling. If I could afford a D850 and glass I'd probably buy. But then, if I had that kind of money loose in my pockets I'd also buy a MF kit. Each purchaser must make an individual decision about which products to buy, and so far that favors Canon.

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
your wish was granted. hint: 5D IV - Dual Pixel RAW ;)

Forget subtle focus tweaks, Canon’s Dual Pixel RAW tech can give you an additional stop in the highlights!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/09/01/dual-pixel-raw-redux-forget-focus-tweaks-canons-new-tech-can-yield-an-addit

RGF said:
Be nice if they could separate each half of the dual pixel to work independently. Either better dynamic range or better S/N.

Also increased buffer size and high FPS.

I think they will make their dpaf sensor so it automatically adjusts af at various distances for all modern canon lenses. If it does this easily without hassle then why buy a mirrorless camera? The lens sizes at tele sizes are the same.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
unfocused said:
jolyonralph said:
Here's a prediction.

If the 5DSR II has less than 60 megapixels, the 7D Mark III will have less than 24.

That's not really a prediction, that's just math. Whatever resolution the 5Ds series has, the 7DIII will of course have the same scaled down resolution, as Canon will almost certainly continue to use the same basic sensor in both.

The real question, I believe, is: will the 5Ds and 7DIII all share essentially the same sensor with the 80D? Or, will it be a new sensor with very similar resolution? I would hope it is the latter, and Canon takes advantage of an additional two- to three-years of sensor development in the new bodies.

You mean like they did with the 6D Mk II? :p

Upvote 0