Canon's Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
tron said:
7enderbender said:
How does this make sense? Why would I want a $2000 plastic 5DII equivalent when I can have the real thing for the same money? And I don't believe there is any noticeable difference between the 5DII and 5DIII sensor. So what gives?
+1 It does not. I cannot understand why so many forum readers were waiting for something so similar and in many aspects inferior camera to 5DmkII. More plastic ? really? for the same price of 5DMkII? For a slightly better sensor? (possibly crippled by more powerful AA filter?) It is possibly a nice camera for non 5DmkII owners. But for 5DmkII onwners this rumored camera is a joke!

P.S I guess it will not have replaceable screens...
Haha, and a real focus system as opposed to the 5d1 & 5d2. Its already an upgrade for the same price. Sure its not a metal body. Metal bodies don't make my shots turn out better and in focus, focus systems do. Also a popup flash to trigger the RF flashes, and when doing pj and you actually need a little fill flash but don't have a full size flash, how can you go wrong? As far as weather sealing, just don't use this one in the rain, you don't need two bodies to shoot when the weather is bad. Why would the AA filter be stronger, they have minimized it? I own a 5dm3 and i don't think its a joke but we'll see what the specs are.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
DanielW said:
RC said:
- pop up flash--don't want unless its a radio trigger

Why is a pop-up flash a bad thing?

mathino said:
If they manage to fit in a large enough bright prism then not. But personally, I wont use it much. I would rather use my 430 EX II.

Control over wireless flashes would be a welcome feature but I doubt there will be such feature in it.

Dido

Upvote 0
If I want to read about Nikon I go to Nikon Rumours. I dont come to Canon Rumours to listen to the Nikon Fanboys tell me what a poor job Canon are doing.

This is totally wrong, as least my point of view. As if I am a Nikon owner(s), I would want my employees go to Canon users' forums or find any resources and to search for Canon weakness to its customers. Welcome to correct me as if I am wrong...

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

takoman46 said:
The rumored specs have me a bit confused...

For $2000 you get:

22mp 5D3 sensor?

19 point AF - Ok, this sounds reasonable.

4fps - Makes sense.

ISO 100-51200 - Taking into consideration that this camera will have a 5D3 sensor; wouldn't this mean that ISO performance at ISO 51200 would be the same as 5D3? Canon just eliminated ISO 102400... but 102400 is unusable anyway... Logic tells me that this new entry level FF camera will not perform the same as a 5D3... but then that would mean that Canon just de-tuned the heck out of the 5D3 sensor and it's capabilities... Lose money lol

3"LCD - Ok

Smaller than 5D Mark II - If it's smaller, than does this mean that there is no quick reference display on the top of the body? Or does this simply mean that it may be "slightly" smaller than a 5D2? Maybe the size of a 60D? In which case, it being the size of a 60D is pretty irrelevant information since it's not that much smaller than a 5D2...

More plastic than metal in the construction - So this camera will be packed with what sounds like great performance features but will be built like a toy?

until here it´s ok.. but then it´s nonsense.. try to break such a "toy" camera.
i have abused my cheap 550D in every way except droping/exposing it into water.

i can tell you it´s hard to break such a "toy".

my 5D MK2 sure feels better.. but i have NO reservation to abuse my 550D under hard conditions. i dropped it a few times. thank god with no lens attached.

if it does not drop onto the LCD (and that would kill a 5D MK3 display too) you can drop it from 3m above without a problem.

all that will happen is that maybe the pop up flash will come out and a few scratches.

Upvote 0
G

goodmane

Canon-F1 said:
Ricku said:
So yeah, they should make and launch a better sensor as soon as posible.

for me this is like back then when microsoft released VISTA.. just wait for win7. :D

For me this is like when lots of people bought macs instead of waiting for win 7. I don't care about canon and nikon anymore. I'd quite like to swap my 5dc for this camera if its cheap enough, especially if it has built in flash so I can take it out of the house without my studio lights, but what I really want is built in wifi for transferring images to my network. If my android phone can do it and fit in my pocket and hulking great dslr should be able to do it without an enormous attachment that costs an extra few hundred $.

Upvote 0
Ricku said:
awinphoto said:
To all complaining about no new sensor... do you really expect canon to put a BETTER sensor and an IMPROVED sensor in a camera BELOW it's beloved 5d3? Really?
Well, Canon still don't have a sensor that can compete with Nikon's D800 sensor. Their beloved 5D3 (a.k.a 5D2.5) certainly failed at that.

So yeah, they should make and launch a better sensor as soon as posible.

Depends on how you view things... I shoot professionally, and while the D800 DR is great at low ISO, at ISO 800 and beyond is canon's territory and frankly, daytime shots, the only time I'd be able to really take advantage of low iso DR, most of it would be washed away when I increase contrast as D800 shots tend to be muddy... I'm not taking anything away from what Nikon has produced, it's a very good and very impressive camera, but in no way is the 5d3 inferior or a bad sensor... I'm sure there are those product and or landscape photogs chomping at the bit for a much improved sensor, but in the end, either camera will satisfy 95% of all photogs... If you feel canon failed, that's your opinion... But it is, as a camera, an awesome tool.

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Canon-F1 said:
takoman46 said:
More plastic than metal in the construction - So this camera will be packed with what sounds like great performance features but will be built like a toy?

my 5D MK2 sure feels better.. but i have NO reservation to abuse my 550D under hard conditions. i dropped it a few times. thank god with no lens attached.

if it does not drop onto the LCD (and thet woudl kill a 5D MK3 display too) you can drop it from 3m hight without a problem.

all that will happen is that maybe the pop up flash will come out.

+1. I have an Xti and a 40D, and although obviously not as sturdy as my 7D, I certainly never felt like they were toys. And feelings aside, they keep trucking right along even though I'm fairly abusive of my gear.

Upvote 0
takoman46 said:

For $2000 you get:

22mp 5D3 sensor?

4fps - Makes sense.

ISO 100-51200 - Taking into consideration that this camera will have a 5D3 sensor; wouldn't this mean that ISO performance at ISO 51200 would be the same as 5D3? Canon just eliminated ISO 102400... but 102400 is unusable anyway... Logic tells me that this new entry level FF camera will not perform the same as a 5D3... but then that would mean that Canon just de-tuned the heck out of the 5D3 sensor and it's capabilities... Lose money lol

3"LCD - Ok

Smaller than 5D Mark II - If it's smaller, than does this mean that there is no quick reference display on the top of the body? Or does this simply mean that it may be "slightly" smaller than a 5D2? Maybe the size of a 60D? In which case, it being the size of a 60D is pretty irrelevant information since it's not that much smaller than a 5D2...

Pop-up flash - Ok

$1999 USD at launch - Ok

Launched with new non-L full frame kit lens - Whatever

Compatible with full frame STM lenses - Whatever

So in a nutshell, for $1500 less than a 5D Mark 3 you get the same sensor and ISO performance (up to ISO 51200), a crappier AF system, and 2fps less continuous shooting speed, but have to live with the thing being built like a toy... On that note, for $100-$200 less than a 5D Mark 2 you get a way better sensor, ISO performance, AF system, and 1fps more continuous shooting speed, but have to live with the thing being built like a toy because even the 5D Mark II was mostly metal in construction. Does anyone else think these specs don't seem realistic?

ahaha... love you comments. it is so true... (built like a toy).

Upvote 0
P

PhotoCharlie

distant.star said:
Oh, and as for terminating posts and posters, a word to the you know who. There's a strong Judeo-Christian bias in that neighborhood; something as innocuous as the "F" word will get you terminated here in the gentleman's club.

One of the elements I have appreciated about canonrumors forums is the generally cordial attitude and posts. If the Moderator has to pull a few comments to keep it that way then so be it. Censorship only occurs when people can't censor nor control themselves. I really can't stand to spend much time on NikonRumors because of the frequent F bombs, name calling and general uncivil attitude. Thanks CanonRumors for a better environment.

Upvote 0
T

takoman46

Canon-F1 said:
takoman46 said:

For $2000 you get:

22mp 5D3 sensor?

4fps - Makes sense.

3"LCD - Ok

my 5D MK2 sure feels better.. but i have NO reservation to abuse my 550D under hard conditions. i dropped it a few times. thank good with no lens attached.

I'm not saying that it will break if it's plastic, but rather wouldn't you expect a $2000 camera body to have better build quality; especially if it is going to cater to upper end enthusiasts and possibly professionals? I think it's pretty risky to be taking a plastic camera to shoots where you might encounter rain, high humidity, and extreme temperature changes (such as shooting outdoors in the cold and then going inside into a warm climate controlled environment where condensation will rapidly build on the camera). A plastic body will probably not have the same weather sealing as a metal body. When I first started shooting DSLR, I had my Rebel XT glitch out when condensation built on the body. But I vacuum sealed it with a few desiccant packs for a couple days and that luckily saved it.

Upvote 0
T

takoman46

Canon-F1 said:
the one thing is weather sealing.. the other a magnesium alloy.

sure weather sealing would be nice.. but you can have that without a metal body.

I agree that it is possible for a non-metal body to be weather sealed. All the underwater housings for DSLRs prove that as they are all made of plastic. But I have never seen a plastic DSLR body that was weather sealed. So based upon past trends in construction, a plastic body would indicate no weather sealing.

Upvote 0
Mar 13, 2012
takoman46 said:

For $2000 you get:

22mp 5D3 sensor?

4fps - Makes sense.

3"LCD - Ok

Pop-up flash - Ok

$1999 USD at launch - Ok

Launched with new non-L full frame kit lens - Whatever

Compatible with full frame STM lenses - Whatever

So in a nutshell, for $1500 less than a 5D Mark 3 you get the same sensor and ISO performance (up to ISO 51200), a crappier AF system, and 2fps less continuous shooting speed, but have to live with the thing being built like a toy... On that note, for $100-$200 less than a 5D Mark 2 you get a way better sensor, ISO performance, AF system, and 1fps more continuous shooting speed, but have to live with the thing being built like a toy because even the 5D Mark II was mostly metal in construction. Does anyone else think these specs don't seem realistic?

I mostly agree with you, except on the "toy" thing. I do have a 60D (my first dSLR), and although I would have to agree that magnesium alloy bodies feel much better (took a couple shots with a friend's 5DmIII the other day), I don't think plastic is as bad as you put it. In other words, I can live with a little (too much) plastic. Sure I'll have to take care, but I would anyway, since I'll have paid $2,000 for it! (And, well, it's cheaper for a reason, after all.)
Many amateurs folks like me who are current Rebel and 60D owners and just can't justify $3,000+ on a camera will welcome the specs, I think, as it lets us into the FF world and plastic would be no step backwards anyway. I'd rather have a better focus system, better low-light capabilities and a pop-up flash than a better body, if I'm to choose (and I am, since I won't make any money -- at least soon -- from it). If I didn't care about money I would just buy a 5DmIII, another flash and a bunch of L lenses, but I'd probably have more camera than I need.
Well, that's just me, anyway... I understand that photographers who own lots of gear already won't be missing pop-up flashes and that kind of thing, but for a first FF, well, I think it'll be a great camera. It'll be just another soon-to-be-obsolete thing of the many things I own anyway, but one that was not so expensive and that fits my needs. Couldn't ask for more.
Plastic? Give me some! I can take it! :)

Upvote 0
T

takoman46

Canon-F1 said:
takoman46 said:
But I have never seen a plastic DSLR body that was weather sealed. So based upon past trends in construction, a plastic body would indicate no weather sealing.

until now.

sorry i have to mention nikon again.
one of the rumors about the D600 say it will have no metal body or more plastic then metal and it will be weather sealed.

we will see..

Apologies. I am not aware of specs regarding Nikon cameras. If they have weather sealed a plastic body, then I would certainly hope that Canon follows suite. It's not that I'm a Canon fanboy for not following Nikon cameras; but just that I have no place in my budget to even begin considering to purchase a Nikon camera, build a lens collection, and incorporate it into my shooting.

Upvote 0
takoman46 said:
I'm not saying that it will break if it's plastic, but rather wouldn't you expect a $2000 camera body to have better build quality; especially if it is going to cater to upper end enthusiasts and possibly professionals? I think it's pretty risky to be taking a plastic camera to shoots where you might encounter rain, high humidity, and extreme temperature changes (such as shooting outdoors in the cold and then going inside into a warm climate controlled environment where condensation will rapidly build on the camera). A plastic body will probably not have the same weather sealing as a metal body. When I first started shooting DSLR, I had my Rebel XT glitch out when condensation built on the body. But I vacuum sealed it with a few desiccant packs for a couple days and that luckily saved it.

It isn't going to cater to upper end enthusiasts and pros. That's what the 5DIII is for. This is an entry-level FF body. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

takoman46 said:
Apologies. I am not aware of specs regarding Nikon cameras. If they have weather sealed a plastic body, then I would certainly hope that Canon follows suite. It's not that I'm a Canon fanboy for not following Nikon cameras; but just that I have no place in my budget to even begin considering to purchase a Nikon camera, build a lens collection, and incorporate it into my shooting.

it´s just a rumor yet .. but i see no reason why it should not be possible.
it would reduce the cost and a metal alloy is not needed... prefered yes. :)

Upvote 0
So... if its gonna be the same sensor, same processor, same image quality as MKIII and a decent AF (comparing to MKII) I seriously do not understand what people complain about here. This is an entry level FF body, priced (lets assume the specs and price are correct) $1.5K less than MKIII, so something is gotta go in terms of body features. Plastic body - so what - this is not a toy like plastic (I had a Rebel and it did not feel like a toy to me). For $1.5K less you get the same sensor as in MKIII, plus a (the way it sounds) decent AF. What else do you expect from an entry level model? You want MKII for the metal body - go for it, buy it now while they have it new or wait a bit and get a cheap used once this new FF is announced. Do you seriously expect a lot more from an entry level FF considering that even with these specs it will hurt MKIII sales. Read the forums and see how many people are sitting on the fence for a less expensive FF, who do not want MKII with its crippled AF and who do not think they can justify $3500- $3700 for MKIII. Some of these folks are still potential MKIII buyers - maybe not now, but in a year or so.

Lots of comparison with MKII. Why do you judge these new FF specs based on an assumption that this is supposed to be an upgrade from MKII? MKII was never positioned as an entry level FF. If you think the new sensor and AF are not worth the upgrade and you prefer to have MKII with metal body - go for it. But coming from 7D I do not want to compromise on AF. Not to that extent.

If Canon can give us MKIII less metal body, some fps, dual card slots, weathersealing and $1.5K off the price - I'm in.

Upvote 0
T

takoman46

DanielW said:
I mostly agree with you. I do have a 60D (my first dSLR), and although I would have to agree that magnesium alloy bodies feel much better (took a couple shots with a friend's 5DmIII the other day), I don't think plastic is as bad as you put it. In other words, I can live with a little (too much) plastic. Sure I'll have to take care, but I would anyway, since I'll have paid $2,000 for it! (And, well, it's cheaper for a reason, after all.)
Many amateurs folks like me who are current Rebel and 60D owners and just can't justify $3,000+ on a camera will welcome the specs, I think, as it lets us into the FF world and plastic would be no step backwards anyway. I'd rather have a better focus system, better low-light capabilities and a pop-up flash than a better body, if I'm to choose (and I am, since I won't make any money -- at least soon -- from it). If I didn't care about money I would just buy a 5DmIII, another flash and a bunch of L lenses, but I'd probably have more camera than I need.
Well, that's just me, anyway... I understand that photographers who own lots of gear already won't be missing pop-up flashes and that kind of thing, but for a first FF, well, I think it'll be a great camera. It'll be just another soon-to-be-obsolete thing of the many things I own anyway, but one that was not so expensive and that fits my needs. Couldn't ask for more.
Plastic? Give me some! I can take it! :)

We'll have to see what actually becomes of this rumored entry level FF. As Canon-F1 just pointed out, the Nikon D600 is a plastic body that will be weather sealed. If Canon's version is equipped similarly, then I'm sure it will fit the demands of many more photographers. Heck, I might even buy one as a back up... Maybe get rid of my 5D Mark II's if it proves to be better.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.