Canon's Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Pop-Up Flash for FF so that TS-E lens will be a pain to use and anyway it does not allow shutter speed to go below 1/200? I hope not.
No mentioning of dual slots? Even rumored new micro 4/3 (like GH3) bodies will have that...
Canon DSLR video is beaten by even current GH2 (in terms of quality, from usability perspective DSLR does not even come close).
No mentioning of tilt-swivel LCD? I know FF is so professional that no-one needs it...
Sure it can attract a lot of people just because it's FF and can be a money machine for Canon but really is this the DSLR that I'm supposed to be excited in 2012?
I go on and check that micro 4/3 lens chart again now. That's more interesting. The days of these entry level DSLRs can be counted.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

fman said:
A Pop-Up Flash for FF so that TS-E lens will be a pain to use and anyway it does not allow shutter speed to go below 1/200? I hope not.
No mentioning of dual slots? Even rumored new micro 4/3 (like GH3) bodies will have that...
Canon DSLR video is beaten by even current GH2 (in terms of quality, from usability perspective DSLR does not even come close).
No mentioning of tilt-swivel LCD? I know FF is so professional that no-one needs it...
Sure it can attract a lot of people just because it's FF and can be a money machine for Canon but really is this the DSLR that I'm supposed to be excited in 2012?
I go on and check that micro 4/3 lens chart again now. That's more interesting. The days of these entry level DSLRs can be counted.

Why not a G1X then?

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
fman said:
thepancakeman said:
7,748 and counting... (based on 5/1/1991 release of Kodak DCS 100).

You may have missed the entry level part.

Nope, just chose to ignore it because I have no idea which DSLR would classify as the first "entry level". ;D

I don't think they're going away any time soon--I've used the very best point and shoots and bridge cameras, and for my tastes they simply cannot compare to even the lowest level DSLRs (e.g. Rebel T3).

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

thepancakeman said:
fman said:
thepancakeman said:
7,748 and counting... (based on 5/1/1991 release of Kodak DCS 100).

You may have missed the entry level part.

Nope, just chose to ignore it because I have no idea which DSLR would classify as the first "entry level". ;D

I don't think they're going away any time soon--I've used the very best point and shoots and bridge cameras, and for my tastes they simply cannot compare to even the lowest level DSLRs (e.g. Rebel T3).

First Canon would be the D30. Before that they were essentially Kodak badged - rather like Nikon badged Sonys

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Reasons for high price of the Mark III

Does anyone think that Canon is profiteering with the 5D3?

I've been thinking about that a lot actually, since there are so many people, including myself, who feel like the Mark III is overpriced.

I think there are possibly two factors here:

1. Canon knew there was a huge pent up demand for a better 5D and set the initial price high to take advantage of the early adopters who would spend almost anything to get the new product. When sales taper off, it is easy to lower the MSRP or just start offering discounts like Canon does with all their other photo products. In fact I see discounting already starting to happen at some online retailers.

2. I'm not an economist, but I wonder if Canon is simply finding that their costs are rising and they can't continue to make cameras at the price points we've come to expect? I know I've been spoiled by getting upgraded technology every few years at about the same price I paid last time. Maybe inflation and currency changes are bringing that era to an end.

I have a feeling that the new "entry level" FF camera is a signal that Canon plans to keep the price of the Mark III rather high. :'(

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
FunPhotons said:
7enderbender said:
How does this make sense? Why would I want a $2000 plastic 5DII equivalent when I can have the real thing for the same money? And I don't believe there is any noticeable difference between the 5DII and 5DIII sensor. So what gives?

Good points. CR2, however it's hard to believe that this set of specs makes any sense.

Sounds like someone puts too much faith in DxOMark and not enough in their own eyes.

Not to meantion the 7D auto focus system.

Upvote 0
Re: Reasons for high price of the Mark III

drmikeinpdx said:
I have a feeling that the new "entry level" FF camera is a signal that Canon plans to keep the price of the Mark III rather high. :'(

What do you guys think?
I think it depends on what they are going to offer as this new entry level FF. If the key factors (IQ and AF) are a success then this entry level FF might become a good alternative for many who is sitting on a fence waiting for lower price of MKIII. In other words, if the new FF starts stealing MKIII's buyers and MKIII sales slow down (might be for a numbe of reasons actually - new Canon FF, new entry level FF from Nikon, better availability and elimination of bugs in Nikon D800). In that case MKIII original MSRP gotta go down. I think it will go down somewhat regardless. New canon FF might not be a huge success, but Nikon's offerings and aggressive pricing will take care of that.

Upvote 0
TTMartin said:
FunPhotons said:
7enderbender said:
How does this make sense? Why would I want a $2000 plastic 5DII equivalent when I can have the real thing for the same money? And I don't believe there is any noticeable difference between the 5DII and 5DIII sensor. So what gives?

Good points. CR2, however it's hard to believe that this set of specs makes any sense.

Sounds like someone puts too much faith in DxOMark and not enough in their own eyes.

Not to meantion the 7D auto focus system.
+1. The CR indicated same sensor as MKIII, not MKII. So how about "a plastic MKIII equivalent" for $2K with a bit less features (instead of MKII equivalent)? All of a sudden it starts looking quite atteractive, huh?

Upvote 0
ssrdd said:
2000/-??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Canon must be kidding.

Again it lost on
Nikon D600 24mp full frame under 1600usd.

We don't know if the price of D600 is really about 1.5K or not. If so, the new FF camera should be about 1.5K as well. Too early to talk about the price. Anyway, I am glad to see Canon responses to Nikon's D600.

Upvote 0
D

D_Rochat

There have been many valid points on why the 5DIII costs what it does, how Canon and Nikon both make great products but are for different uses and that it is stupid to get over excited about rumored specs and costs of two cameras that don't yet exist. Yet you all choose to ignore those posts and just bitch like spoiled children. This forum has turned to shit and I'm disappointed with myself for getting sucked into the nonsense and sticking around. So long.....

Upvote 0
D_Rochat said:
it is stupid to get over excited about rumored specs and costs of two cameras that don't yet exist.
This is a very strange post for a forum on a Canon RUMORS website. Just reading the name of the website alone it should be quite obvious why people come here and what they are mostly discussing, don't you think??? If you don't like to read or participate in such discussions - well there are plenty of websites and forums dedicated to existing and already announced gear. Feel free to move on.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

ablearcher said:
D_Rochat said:
it is stupid to get over excited about rumored specs and costs of two cameras that don't yet exist.
This is a very strange post for a forum on a Canon RUMORS website. Just reading the name of the website alone it should be quite obvious why people come here and what they are mostly discussing, don't you think??? If you don't like to read or participate in such discussions - well there are plenty of websites and forums dedicated to existing and already announced gear. Feel free to move on.

In the EOS bodies section of the Forum it is disappointing to get Canon flamed for something which is no more than a rumour.

The post that he was complaining about should have been in a different section or better still - Nikon rumours

Upvote 0
Hey, enough with all the damned name-calling on here. Can't we all get along :p

I think the Canon rumored budget FF will be around $2,000 - 2,500. Lotta wiggle room there. The 5d3 can be had for just over $3,000 all over Ebay. Still, I don't feel like it should retail for even $3,000 given that the 5d2 was $2699, right? I feel like replacement models should hold basically the same price point. Look at cars for example. A 2000 model Honda Accord is essentially the same price as a 2012 model. Perhaps $1,500-2,500 more, but that's only about 10% inflation in 12 years!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.