Capture 1 Pro or Lightroom

Nov 16, 2014
Does anyone have experience using Capture One Pro 9? I use Lightroom now and can do basic edits and find my way around the program. Before I really try to learn everything in Lightroom and invest all my time I'm wondering if I should spend my time learning Capture One inside and out and make that the program I use. I don't have a huge catalog and what I have I can import to Capture 1 since there basic edits like exposure and white balance. Lightroom has been so buggy and crashes. I'm wondering Capture 1 is the future. Any thoughts or advice? Thank you.

Oct 19, 2012
Ryan85 said:
Does anyone have experience using Capture One Pro 9? I use Lightroom now and can do basic edits and find my way around the program. Before I really try to learn everything in Lightroom and invest all my time I'm wondering if I should spend my time learning Capture One inside and out and make that the program I use. I don't have a huge catalog and what I have I can import to Capture 1 since there basic edits like exposure and white balance. Lightroom has been so buggy and crashes. I'm wondering Capture 1 is the future. Any thoughts or advice? Thank you.

I have LR, C1 and DXO and use all of them depending what I need.
In general, C1 can do everything that available LR and much more.
C1 also provides multilayer corrections (like in Photoshop) which is not available in LR.
C1 has significantly better rendering engine than LR and much faster.
So when I need best IQ I use C1 rather than LR.
Getting desired results in C1 is faster than in LR.
C1 provides much better set of tools for precise work with colors.
C1 can work in session mode and can use catalogs.
Workflow in C1 is very simple and easy to manage quickly.
As I using LR as image catalog then I use C1 in simple session mode which I like more – you do not need to import images – can open ant folder and work within that folder.
The new features that were introduced in LR recently were available in C1 long time back.
C1 is standalone version – does not require any subscription.
The only one thing that LR is doing better is Noise reduction at high ISOs – above 1600/3200 for 1DXm2.
For high ISO NR I use DXO Pro Prime NR so no need to user LR for that.
If next version of LR will not be available as standalone version that I will drop LR from my toolbox and my primary tool will be C1.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Neutral said:
Ryan85 said:

C1 also provides multilayer corrections (like in Photoshop) which is not available in LR.
As I using LR as image catalog then I use C1 in simple session mode which I like more – you do not need to import images – can open ant folder and work within that folder.
The new features that were introduced in LR recently were available in C1 long time back.
The only one thing that LR is doing better is Noise reduction at high ISOs – above 1600/3200 for 1DXm2.
If next version of LR will not be available as standalone version that I will drop LR from my toolbox and my primary tool will be C1.

I agree with all of the above remarks and I would also add:
[list type=decimal]
[*]"Auto" works way better in CaptureOne. Simply, without any effort, just by applying the default settings the picture looks good
[*]Skin tones and especially natural greens (grass, leaves, etc) are better in CaptureOne. I tried to replicate the results in Lightroom without success.
[*]I also find sharpness to work better in CaptureOne. More detail is visible, probably the RAW engine is superior.
[/list]
Unfortunately I have more than 60,000 photos in my Lightroom catalog so for me it`s impossible to switch now...too late :(

Nelu

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I agree with both neutral and nelu, I'd add....

I'm coming from a dxo pov (not LR) and c1 is way faster at rendering raw files and if you photograph people it knocks dxo out the park in the quality of that render. Dxo prime is real good but sometimes I feel like it's a bit of a sledgehammer, whereas with c1 you can be subtle, the layering is just brilliant. because of the flexibility of the layers you can get noise reduction results as good if not better than prime. The UI takes some learning though, I invested a whole Christmas holidays to learning it, time well spent!

Oh and tethering works very well if you do studio work
And I like their licencing options

Yes I'm a fanboy, loud and proud ;D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2012
Nelu said:
Neutral said:
Ryan85 said:

[list type=decimal]
[*]"Auto" works way better in CaptureOne. Simply, without any effort, just by applying the default settings the picture looks good
[*]Skin tones and especially natural greens (grass, leaves, etc) are better in CaptureOne. I tried to replicate the results in Lightroom without success.
[*]I also find sharpness to work better in CaptureOne. More detail is visible, probably the RAW engine is superior.
[/list]
Unfortunately I have more than 60,000 photos in my Lightroom catalog so for me it`s impossible to switch now...too late :(

Nelu

You do not really need to switch between them.
It is OK to use both simultaneously - LR as catalog and for most of the edits and then C1 (in session mode) to get the best for selected photos if you are not satisfied with the results from LR.
C1 keeps all the photo processing settings in the same folder as processed picture within CaptureOne subfolder.
So both LR and C1 coexist together very well without any issues.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Capture one is very good, it is also a steep learning curve - I come from a 10 yr photoshop background. When I started with capture one there were no books, so I had to google all over the place to get a good idea of how each tool worked, took a lot of hard work and about a week.
There is now one book available by a guy called Sascha Emi and costs £21 on Amazon, I really would buy that and save yourself a lot of frustration.
Why did I buy capture one? Principally because I don't like renting adobe software.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2012
SteveM said:
Capture one is very good, it is also a steep learning curve - I come from a 10 yr photoshop background. When I started with capture one there were no books, so I had to google all over the place to get a good idea of how each tool worked, took a lot of hard work and about a week.
There is now one book available by a guy called Sascha Emi and costs £21 on Amazon, I really would buy that and save yourself a lot of frustration.
Why did I buy capture one? Principally because I don't like renting adobe software.

Frankly speaking, I did not find it to be difficult to learn.
User manual is good, you can put pdf file on your tablet device and read it comfortably sitting on the sofa.
There are plenty of video tutorials – the same you can relax and watch that videos on your tablet device.
You can start those videos directly from the C1 (under help menu).
It is being sold by the Phase One itself - and then you have all the licenses on your page there.

Upvote 0

eli452

When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
Sep 4, 2013
Israel
Most of my work so far where with Bridge (ACR) & Photoshop (I prefer storing my photos in folders as my way of cataloging over the LR catalog). Recently tried the DxO software.
The main problem is the many photos left as CR2&XMP (I do not do much post editing with PS, but who knows...so left like that).
2nd problem is the learning curve. for PS(+Bridge) & LR there are so many great video tutorials, for other software very few, if at all.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Neutral said:
Nelu said:
Neutral said:
Ryan85 said:

[list type=decimal]
[/list]

Nelu

You do not really need to switch between them.
It is OK to use both simultaneously - LR as catalog and for most of the edits and then C1 (in session mode) to get the best for selected photos if you are not satisfied with the results from LR.
C1 keeps all the photo processing settings in the same folder as processed picture within CaptureOne subfolder.
So both LR and C1 coexist together very well without any issues.

Yes, I know that but the problem is that you can`t see the CaptureOne edits in Lightroom unless you export the files as jpeg or tiff.
The CaptureOne recipe files are not compatible with Lightroom, unfortunately...
I really like the CaptureOne look, it`s so realistic and..."punchy"...but for me it`s just too much effort to jump from CaptureOne to Lightroom and back.
Anyways, neither of them is difficult to learn, they`re both simple, especially compared to Photoshop.

Thanks,
Nelu

Upvote 0
+1 to Neutral, Nelu and zim.

I use C1 v9, LR, PS and lately also NIK. I also tried DXO extensively (mainly for prime noise reduction), but it never ended up to my workflow, I guess mainly for the slowness.

Learning C1 took some time, but now there are good video courses for it in internet, and even the free Capture One webinars in Youtube (Phase One's own youtube channel) get you going quite nicely.

I still use LR for library management, and I do my culling mainly in LR, as I prefer their functionality. C1 took a step forward in ver. 9, but my personal way of comparing photos in LR is faster as a process - I use LR's 'N' (keyboard shortcut, I don't recall it's name...) functionality extensively, when deciding which images are the best or better than others. I also find that LR catalog usage (for example using keywords to filter out images selected images from the whole catalog, mine is currently 80 000+ images) is faster than C1, although C1 renders images faster. I also like using LR as it integrates better with PS + NIK.

I use C1 in session mode, using it mainly only to the best of my images. Sometimes I cull in C1 when I need to do image adjustments before deciding upon which is best. With the best images, after adjustments I export them from C1 as TIF to the same folder where the orig raw files are (actually to a C1 subfolder), and then synchronize the folder in LR, so the best ones are included in LR catalog.

I used only LR before, but after C1 v8 was released, I found I very much preferred its color rendering and adjustments - images just look better out from C1. Especially skin color, but also other colors look better from C1. When comparing LR and C1, I find that LR seems to make the images more red (especially skin tones) and I haven't found a way to mimic C1 in LR. I also prefer C1's contrast, curve and clarity functionality and the results they deliver me with less effort.

Lately I have found that I can get quite good looking images also out from PS+NIK or LR+NIK. Still in learning process there. Processing an image through NIK the skin color is slightly better than from pure LR, but it still isn't quite there yet where C1 is. Now I feel that for contrast it is easier to get great results from NIK, C1 is almost there too, but color from C1 is still superior. If I had to process many images, it would be faster in C1 because of copy-paste adjustments between images.

Upvote 0