CAPTURE ONE PRO IS NOW SUBSCRIPTION BASED TOO.

Jan 29, 2011
Like most things, you have to be smart about it. Once or twice a year Adobe and or B&H/Adorama/whoever do a special offer, you can buy as many years as you want ahead of time and it doesn't matter if your renewal is due then it just starts when your renewal starts.

This year B&H had a $25 credit against anything else, that brought my regular $9.99 per month down to $7.90 per month, and who doesn't spend $25 at B&H during a lifetime?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi pbd.
My guess on who, would be somewhere around 90-95% of the photographers in the world allowing for some overseas sales as they will ship overseas!
This involves making a huge, HUGE I SAY assumption that photographers are spread evenly throughout the population of the world, and this is just to make the maths simple enough to bother replying to this question! :oops: :ROFLMAO:
It is very easy to forget that the huge USA only account for around 4.4 to 4.5% of the population of this fair planet!
Whether Adobe would honour the overseas purchase of the offer is highly doubtful!

Cheers, Graham.
Ps, this is just in fun, feel free to pick holes in my argument or to burn this heretic at the stake! I have thick skin, bring plenty of lighter fluid! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

and who doesn't spend $25 at B&H during a lifetime?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Didn't Lightroom / Photoshop cost a few hundred dollars as stand alone programs? I think I remember they did. To me, $9.99 a month is a deal with free updates too. We're talking $120 a year. Heck, I spend about $7 a week on coffee (Make my own.). I don't understand why people say Adobe is ripping people off. I should stop drinking coffee and my $8 bottle of wine every two weeks. Now that is pissing my money away. ;)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It also has made it difficult for those who made illegal copies, so people have had to pay.

I do wish there was a model for infrequent users, but to do that might be too difficult and easy to hack. I don't think people would want Adobe checking each photo. Perhaps there could be a model where you prepay by the hour for usage. I don't think they believe that there is much demand for something like that.

From what I've read and am to understand, CC was cracked pretty quickly after it came out and it is still fairly easy to get a cracked copy of Adobe products if you want to go that route....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
From what I've read and am to understand, CC was cracked pretty quickly after it came out and it is still fairly easy to get a cracked copy of Adobe products if you want to go that route....
I remember buying a copy of Photoshop on eBay 10 years ago because the price was so low. Think I paid over $100. It didn't come in a box, but the disk looked original. I was able to register it too. I guess it was probably a pirated disk.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I remember buying a copy of Photoshop on eBay 10 years ago because the price was so low. Think I paid over $100. It didn't come in a box, but the disk looked original. I was able to register it too. I guess it was probably a pirated disk.

I can understand folks doing this, especially if just starting out, broke college student, etc.....but when you get out and get a 'real job' I think it best to pay for what you get.

Pirated software often drives paying users, I mean that's one real reason MS Windows gained such a stronghold from the early days.

But in the mean time, I still have a problem with "renting" my software and I've expressed that countless times here before.

Right now, I'm having plenty of fun using alternates to Adobe like:

On1 RAW in lieu or Lightroom
Affinity Photo in lieu of Photoshop
Davinci Resolve and Fusion in lieu of Premier and After Effects (I'm still just new and learning these, I also like FCPX tho).

So far I've found these to be quite sufficient for my photo/video needs.

I'm also dabbling around with:

Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher as I'm able to find time. I like that they're not on the rental merry go round.....and I'm seeing with both Affinity and now even with new releases of On1, that they are coming up with great ways to have their application interconnect and interact more and more, much like Adobe products do.

I think everyone should be happy that Adobe has competition....as that it is always good to have alternates...AND should help to keep Adobe on its toes and push them to keep innovating at least a little bit.

My $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Adobe used exactly the same 'phone home' protocol pre and post CC, it was 'cracked' within a couple of days of release.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I can understand folks doing this, especially if just starting out, broke college student, etc.....but when you get out and get a 'real job' I think it best to pay for what you get.

Pirated software often drives paying users, I mean that's one real reason MS Windows gained such a stronghold from the early days.

But in the mean time, I still have a problem with "renting" my software and I've expressed that countless times here before.

Right now, I'm having plenty of fun using alternates to Adobe like:

On1 RAW in lieu or Lightroom
Affinity Photo in lieu of Photoshop
Davinci Resolve and Fusion in lieu of Premier and After Effects (I'm still just new and learning these, I also like FCPX tho).

So far I've found these to be quite sufficient for my photo/video needs.

I'm also dabbling around with:

Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher as I'm able to find time. I like that they're not on the rental merry go round.....and I'm seeing with both Affinity and now even with new releases of On1, that they are coming up with great ways to have their application interconnect and interact more and more, much like Adobe products do.

I think everyone should be happy that Adobe has competition....as that it is always good to have alternates...AND should help to keep Adobe on its toes and push them to keep innovating at least a little bit.

My $0.02,

cayenne
Everyone has their preference. I never thought about my copy being pirated. I guess somebody could have got it in a deal from one of the big camera outlets with a purchase and didn't need it. Who knows? Had I suspected it was pirated, I would not have bought, job or no job. Just not how I roll.

Still, I don't know why people say Adobe is ripping people off. There are choices other than Adobe, like you said. One never owns software anyway. It is licensed to people, in most cases.

Upvote 0