Carnivores in the Wild

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Went to photograph the migration in Kenya and Tanzania in the fall and saw lots of predator activity as well as 11 river crossings--fabulous trip overall. The first picture is a group of young lions attempting their first kill. Eventually the lioness came in and finished the job. The second is a picture of the lioness dragging a wildebeest carcass back to the lair with a cub still attempting to eat.
Catherine

Attachments

• First Kill Lions.jpg
    First Kill Lions.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Lion Wildebeest Kill Cub.jpg
    Lion Wildebeest Kill Cub.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi C-FMST.
My guess as to what ISO 200 got that ISO 100 wouldn't is 1/1250th sec shutter instead of 1/640th sec which may have left motion blur on a moving African Wild Dog. F4 lens was at f4 so no scope to open that up so ISO it is! :)

Cheers, Graham.

C-FMST said:
Another carnivore in the wild, an African wild dog crossing water in the Okavango Delta, Botswana. Image with a Canon 1DX Mark 2 (beta) and EF 500L f4 IS ii. S/s 1/1250sec at f4, iso 200.
Grant, if I may ask a silly question. What did ISO 200 get you that ISO 100 wouldn't, especially on a 1Dx mkII?
Fantastic images by the way!

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
digigal said:
Krob78 said:
::) Black Bear Cub caught in the wild!

Technically, Bears are omnivores but what they heck! ;D

Nice capture; cute expression. Do you use that 1.4x with your 100-400 very much?
Catherine
Hi Catherine and thank you! I don't use the 1.4iii very often at all really. I'm not sure why but I've recently started using it and will likely begin using it a bit more. I'm also considering selling the 100-400 ii for the 400 DO II. Not sure yet but possibly.

The bear cub image was taken without the 1.4 iii

Cheers! ;D

Upvote 0
I am revisiting this thread and two photos on page three from two different photographers both have the same odd appearance. The grizzly bear by Mikehit and the wild dog by Eldar both look as though the animal was cut and pasted onto the backdrop. I doubt this is the case, what I suspect happened is they used software to select the animal only and enhance it (contrast, saturation, etc) to make it stand out. Possibly also added blur to background (at least on grizzly bear). Please do not take this as a personal attack, but just my opinion they went too far and it looks fake.

Does anyone else see this effect or is it just me?

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Terrible backlight but that's the wild........

Came upon a Bask of African Crocodiles in Lake Chamo in Ethiopia. "My what big teeth you have."

First photo - 5Diii, 100-400 mkii, 1/5000, f/5.6, iso 1000

Second - 5Diii, 100-400 mkii, 1/4000, f/5.6, iso 1000 ..... The bird got a LOT closer than I did!

Attachments

• Chamo Crocs2-1.jpg
    Chamo Crocs2-1.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Chamo Crocs-1.jpg
    Chamo Crocs-1.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0