Carry on or check camera case

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ss396s said:
Hi,
if I take all my gear its a bit heavy for carry on. Any recommendations? What kind of hard case would be good to check gear. Has anyone "lost" gear by checking it? Do you bite the bullet and go carry on?

Personally, I would not check anything that I was afraid to loose......

Upvote 0
If I can carry it on I do so, I have a soft bag that barely meets the limit. I have never checked my 500mm and it barely makes the limit on most US airlines.

I flew one airline overseas that had a 7kg limit on carry on and they were strict on enforcing it.
On that airline I shuffled several lenses into baggage and wrapped it in clothes to protect. I had no problem but the way they handle the bags I wouldn't recommend even checking anything in even in a Pelican case.

I have one of the big hard Pelican cases but the problem is many airlines in the US have a 50 lbs limit before they charge you. The Pelican case is so heavy it eats the majority of that weight up and it almost always ends up as an extra overweight charge.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
ss396s said:
Hi,
if I take all my gear its a bit heavy for carry on. Any recommendations? What kind of hard case would be good to check gear. Has anyone "lost" gear by checking it? Do you bite the bullet and go carry on?

+1 but sometimes you have no choice.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Depending on the replacement cost, check out getting insurance for your gear. If you're a home owner and use your gear for non-professional purposes, it may be a lot cheaper. I insure about $55K worth of gear for $50 annually on my homeowners policy.

I have a list of every item, it's serial number, where I purchased it and when. I keep it up to date which is a challenge as you can imagine.

As noted above, I would never check anything I would want to 'lose' (stolen).

If you're taking one camera body and several lenses, obviously you can put some of the 'less-desirable' lenses in checked bags. Keep your money-maker lenses and bodies on your carry on.

I start removing clothes from my checked bag if necessary. Clothes can be replaced easily and cheaper imo.

Lastly, I always take photographs of the photo gear I may put in my checked bags for reference if needed later and always take a photo of the luggage itself.

Or...you can always travel lite without all the stress and put it all in your carry on.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Don Haines said:
ss396s said:
Hi,

+1

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
I flew from New Zealand once and they spot check the weight of curry on. 7kg max.

I would not put camera or lenses in check-in luggage. A grad student flew from San Francisco to Virginia lost his 1D and lens in his check-in. Surveillance tape did not show his luggage searched. So, what happened?

I carry one body and lens (5DIII/24-70_2.8) on my person with a BR sling, and another body and other lenses (7DII/70-200_2.8 & 100_2.8), with MacBook Pro and iPad, plus batteries, memory cards and camera hygiene stuff in a backpack (Ape Case 1800). So far I have not been stopped for weight check. I have to put chargers, filters, remotes, card reader and tripod in my check-in luggage which has a 55 pounds limit together with daily personal items.
I'll be travelling in December again to Hong Kong and New Zealand with similar setup.
-r

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Echoing...

Carry on if you can. If you can't carry it all on, carry on the essential kit. I checked my entire kit on a return trip from China (except the memory cards!), but carried it on outbound (which was good since most of our luggage showed up three days and two cities later).

I do often check a lens or two, in Lowepro Lens Cases packed in my luggage. But...my luggage is exceptionally tough.

One other suggestion I've read but not tried: buy a starter pistol (available at sporting goods stores), and if you're checking camera gear, put the starter pistol in the luggage and declare it to TSA. With a gun in the bag, they'll track it carefully and you're almost guaranteed it won't be lost or pilfered. I believe you're even allowed to lock the case (after inspection) with a non-TSA lock.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi.
As others have said, I wouldn't check anything I don't want to loose, plus be prepared for any checked precision item like a lens to need to be repaired or recalibrated if your bag is one of the ones the ground crew throw, drop or otherwise abuse during loading. If you want it working for a shoot when you arrive carry it, wear it but don't check it!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
People have funny ideas about this.

I travel light and only take carry on even for extended trips, but that is because I am old and lazy. I am currently in the Caribbean with 1DS MkIII, 24-70 2.8, TS-E17, 11-24, 4x 600-EX-RT a 17" MBP and bits and bobs which easily fit in my carry on.

But a lot of very expensive gear, photo and video, is checked every day, all those video crews traveling the world are checking their gear and it costs a lot more than our stills gear!

Flight cases and Pelican style cases are all fine for checking gear, that is what they are for. Of course you need insurance too for 'just in case' but don't sweat checking gear it is done every day.

There are some work arounds for carry on weight limits I have used. I have a very light rain mac that has a massive chest pocket, I can put it on and fill that pocket from my carry on gear and then switch it back after weighing. Same with a photo vest (though I'd use my mac and not a vest!), don't forget it is the bag that is weighed, you can take stuff out of it and put it back in afterwards. Also I have taken my laptop out of the bag and rested it in front of the counter, had the bag weighed, then put the laptop back in it. Yet another dodge if you are traveling with a companion, check in at different times and don't get the heavy bag weighed, you can get a 'carry on' ticket twice for the same smaller bag of your companions just swap them over. Another work around, get your boarding pass on line and negate the check-in counter entirely. Very few airlines have scales at the gate, though many have sizers so watch your dimensions. On the subject of sizers, now so many people don't check bags the airlines and boarding agents are tougher on carry-ons especially when the flight is full, pay the $10 to upgrade to early boarding so you get overhead space. The gate crew will pull any bags with wheels that look close to max size but are much more forgiving for backpacks of the same size with no wheels.

Obviously all my tips come from the low end cattle class modes of air travel, I am sure others can give advice on 1st and business class travel where the restrictions and allowances are certainly easier to live with!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I usually travel with only cabin luggage because I hate waiting at carousels as well as not wanting to lose or have anything damaged in the hold, and have learned to travel light. Choose the right airline. BA is generous with its allowance, allowing two bags in the cabin, and not a silly 7 kg limit. My second bag (a Tamrac) is the legal size to fit under a seat and will take a 100-400 attached to a 5D with space for a couple of smaller lens plus spare batteries and charger, or a 150-600mm with the camera by its side. If I take a 300/2.8, then it goes in the larger carry on with lots of other gear while clothes go in the hold.

Tip, for travelling light, take the minimum number of shirts and items of underware and hand wash them nightly in hotels using their shampoo as detergent. Safari shirts dry particularly quickly.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Echoing...

Carry on if you can. If you can't carry it all on, carry on the essential kit. I checked my entire kit on a return trip from China (except the memory cards!), but carried it on outbound (which was good since most of our luggage showed up three days and two cities later).

I do often check a lens or two, in Lowepro Lens Cases packed in my luggage. But...my luggage is exceptionally tough.

One other suggestion I've read but not tried: buy a starter pistol (available at sporting goods stores), and if you're checking camera gear, put the starter pistol in the luggage and declare it to TSA. With a gun in the bag, they'll track it carefully and you're almost guaranteed it won't be lost or pilfered. I believe you're even allowed to lock the case (after inspection) with a non-TSA lock.

You have to lock it with a non-tsa lock well pistols, starter pistols might be different.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi PBD.
Whilst I have never seen a film crew's luggage being transferred, I have sat in the departure lounge clutching my Tamarac full of my much cheaper dslr equipment watching the ground luggage handlers, they didn't seem the most caring people at the airport to put it politely, and the bags were not being handled with the care I devote to my camera gear. I don't know if these were the late arrival bags, or all the bags.
If you arrive nice and early do your bags go in one of those made to fit containers that appear to be handled much more sedately by mechanical transfer equipment? Would that make any difference bearing in mind the trip through the high speed transfer conveyor system?

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:

I travel light and only take carry on even for extended trips, but that is because I am old and lazy. I am currently in the Caribbean with 1DS MkIII, 24-70 2.8, TS-E17, 11-24, 4x 600-EX-RT a 17" MBP and bits and bobs which easily fit in my carry on.

But a lot of very expensive gear, photo and video, is checked every day, all those video crews traveling the world are checking their gear and it costs a lot more than our stills gear!

Flight cases and Pelican style cases are all fine for checking gear, that is what they are for. Of course you need insurance too for 'just in case' but don't sweat checking gear it is done every day.

There are some work arounds for carry on weight limits I have used. I have a very light rain mac that has a massive chest pocket, I can put it on and fill that pocket from my carry on gear and then switch it back after weighing. Same with a photo vest (though I'd use my mac and not a vest!), don't forget it is the bag that is weighed, you can take stuff out of it and put it back in afterwards. Also I have taken my laptop out of the bag and rested it in front of the counter, had the bag weighed, then put the laptop back in it. Yet another dodge if you are traveling with a companion, check in at different times and don't get the heavy bag weighed, you can get a 'carry on' ticket twice for the same smaller bag of your companions just swap them over. Another work around, get your boarding pass on line and negate the check-in counter entirely. Very few airlines have scales at the gate, though many have sizers so watch your dimensions. On the subject of sizers, now so many people don't check bags the airlines and boarding agents are tougher on carry-ons especially when the flight is full, pay the $10 to upgrade to early boarding so you get overhead space. The gate crew will pull any bags with wheels that look close to max size but are much more forgiving for backpacks of the same size with no wheels.

Obviously all my tips come from the low end cattle class modes of air travel, I am sure others can give advice on 1st and business class travel where the restrictions and allowances are certainly easier to live with!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Valvebounce said:
Hi PBD.
Whilst I have never seen a film crew's luggage being transferred, I have sat in the departure lounge clutching my Tamarac full of my much cheaper dslr equipment watching the ground luggage handlers, they didn't seem the most caring people at the airport to put it politely, and the bags were not being handled with the care I devote to my camera gear. I don't know if these were the late arrival bags, or all the bags.
If you arrive nice and early do your bags go in one of those made to fit containers that appear to be handled much more sedately by mechanical transfer equipment? Would that make any difference bearing in mind the trip through the high speed transfer conveyor system?

Cheers, Graham.

privatebydesign said:

Over the years I have worked with hundreds of underwater photographers, I never met one that was able to take their gear as carry-on! Though most use regulation sized Pelican style cases.

I have also checked in when several film crews have been aswell, just hang out at the oversize check-in area of a large airport for a few hours, you'll see them, the flight cases are often over size or over weight and so don't go on the normal conveyor system but are taken directly to the plane by hand/truck. One time I had to check two over sized weight and size flight cases and there was a queue at Heathrow oversize handling of camera gear, it was unbelievable, lots of stickers and logos too so rather killed the idea of low key not letting people know the value concept! :)

As for being packaged into a freight style box rather than a baggage handler. I don't claim intimate knowledge of baggage handling but I'd say it depends on the plane and the airport, some are set up to use those 'boxes' but most rely on people physically moving bags one at a time.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
OP, you can usually get more than the carry-on limit on-board with some creative thinking.

I've travelled between Australia and Europe an average of once a year the past five years, with my carry on bag and contents weighing between 10kg and 14kg from memory - the limit is 7kg.

When I check-in for the flight, I'll have a couple of lenses and maybe a camera or two in jacket pockets. I also have my MacBook out on the counter so I can "confirm my flight details" with the staff member serving me. Then, if they ask to weigh my carry-on bag, it's minus some camera gear and the computer, and is less than 7kg. I have a spreadsheet on my computer that details the weights of my lenses and cameras, so I work out in advance which bits to stash in pockets to get the carry-on weight below 7kg.

Once I'm checked in and my carry-on bag has been tagged, I'll head around the corner and pack the items back into the bag before going through security. When boarding the plane, I just have to remember to act as if the bag weighs less then 7kg, instead of the actual 14kg. I've never had them ask to weigh it yet.

I have sometimes had to put lenses in my checked luggage (I've simply had more gear than will fit in my carry-on bag). To do so I'll wrap it in several pairs of socks, a few t-shirts and maybe a jacket or a towel. Never had any issues with items being damaged, and my main travel luggage is actually a soft-sided barrel bag.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
bart13 said:
When they ask you to have your carry on checked in because the plane is full tell them there is a professional camera with big batteries in there. Batteries must be taken as carry on.

They'll just say take the batteries out.

In that situation I'd appeal to their better nature (few have one) and point out it is my livelihood, if they persisted I'd say I'd have to get permission from my boss but I'd probably have to be taken off the flight and they'd have to search the hold for my checked bag. They don't like that because it means delays.

Upvote 0