CFexpress Card Reader

LDS

EOR R
Sep 14, 2012
Sony and SanDisk already has one, expect to see more soon from the usual names. Just be aware they could come with USB-C or Thunderbolt interfaces , so if your PC does not have one, you may need an adapter or a new exapnsion card for a direct connection.

I'm curious to see if someone will offer a card reader directly attached to a PCIe bus....

Reactions: YuengLinger
Jan 5, 2020
Sony and SanDisk already has one, expect to see more soon from the usual names. Just be aware they could come with USB-C or Thunderbolt interfaces , so if your PC does not have one, you may need an adapter or a new exapnsion card for a direct connection.

I'm curious to see if someone will offer a card reader directly attached to a PCIe bus....
I use Macbook pro with USB-C, so i ready for it.. :)

richperson

EOS 80D
Sep 6, 2019
I would love to hear real experience with one as it appears the included Sandisk one may not be good or may not be included due to problems.

Codebunny

EOS RP
Sep 5, 2018
You‘ll ideally want a TB3 one for max speed. Though USB should be fast enough for the current gen CFE cards. The current Scandisk one isonly USB. Also XQD readers may get firmware updates to supp CFE so worth checking out in the manufacture, worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackjet-TX-1CXQ-CFexpress-Reader-Thunderbolt/dp/B07YBLQ3HJ for you consideration. It’ll let you dump the card at full speed, bottlenecked only by your computer’s storage.

Last edited:

richperson

EOS 80D
Sep 6, 2019
You‘ll ideally want a TB3 one for max speed. Though USB should be fast enough for the current gen CFE cards. The current Scandisk one isonly USB. Also XQD readers may get firmware updates to supp CFE so worth checking out in the manufacture, worth checking out.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackjet-TX-1CXQ-CFexpress-Reader-Thunderbolt/dp/B07YBLQ3HJ for you consideration. It’ll let you dump the card at full speed, bottlenecked only by your computer’s storage.
I ordered one of these today, so hopefully it works well. My CF reader is Angelbird, which works great, but they are out of stock on the CFExpress.

arthurbikemad

EOS 7D MK II
Jul 19, 2015
UK
I have an email saying the reader has been removed and Canon will now include a voucher to claim back the missing reader, I guess this is also related to the fact the sandisk CFexpress reader now listed for sale is a Gen2.

Reactions: ERHP
May 11, 2014
The card reader that comes with the 1Dx mkIII doesn't work. I picked up two bodies on Friday and neither reader functioned properly. I would suggest looking at the ProGrade CFExpress reader. It can be picked up for around $55 on B&H or Adorama.

Having read about the poor quality of the SanDisk reader I purchased the ProGrade ahead of time and I'm glad I did... it works great. Fast, small and usb-c

richperson

EOS 80D
Sep 6, 2019
I haven't tried mine, but will have to test it. I bought an Atech Thunderbolt 3 reader it it worked great with no issues, but small sample size.