Cheap CFast 2.0 Cards

I have no experience with them but I wouldn't try it out. Even the, officially supported, Sandisk cards had problems in the beginning, that could only be solved by some workaround (delivered per update). The only cards that work flawless so far, AFAIK, are the Lexar cards. I use those too. Maybe also the transcend cards (according to TDP).

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Have anybody had a chance to deal with Delkin Devices CFast cards? They are twice cheaper than Sandisk / Lexar, but I'm wondering how good are they in a long run?

My 1dx mk2 came with a free 128gb Delkin cfast, in addition to the 65gb Sandisk. It is noticeably faster, the Sandisk doesn't give me the image corruption error some have run into, but the transfer rate on the Delkin is waaaay faster both in camera and on a card reader.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Cthulhu said:
Jopa said:
Have anybody had a chance to deal with Delkin Devices CFast cards? They are twice cheaper than Sandisk / Lexar, but I'm wondering how good are they in a long run?

My 1dx mk2 came with a free 128gb Delkin cfast, in addition to the 65gb Sandisk. It is noticeably faster, the Sandisk doesn't give me the image corruption error some have run into, but the transfer rate on the Delkin is waaaay faster both in camera and on a card reader.

I think the corruption happened with the original (v1) firmware and later Canon added a workaround for the SanDisk issue.

I also went ahead and got a 256GB Delkin for $299, so far so good (1 week usage :) ). No problems writing 4k 60p, no corrupted images. Hope it will last. Overall I think it's a good deal, and those cards should not cost more than a corresponding capacity m.2 drive. A 250GB Samsung m.2 is about $100, so $600 for a CFast card is a pure rip off.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Jack Douglas said:
Jopa, I'm looking at buying a CFast for video and remembered your comments. Has the Delkin been working out for you?

Anyone else tried Delkin at this point?

Jack

Jack, it works very well. No issues recording 4k @ 60p, I didn't notice any dropped frames or anything bad so far. I guess it will last, but that's just a guess :) I'm still keeping the bundled SanDisk 64GB as a backup.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jopa said:
Jack Douglas said:
Jopa, I'm looking at buying a CFast for video and remembered your comments. Has the Delkin been working out for you?

Anyone else tried Delkin at this point?

Jack

Jack, it works very well. No issues recording 4k @ 60p, I didn't notice any dropped frames or anything bad so far. I guess it will last, but that's just a guess :) I'm still keeping the bundled SanDisk 64GB as a backup.

Thanks. I think I'll buy one before heading out in the spring.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ianthem said:
http://www.biwin.co.uk/

I'm trying out these guys with my 1DX II that's coming in, the write speeds only go up to 280 MB/s, but that's still plenty fast and covers 4k60p. I'll report back with their quality, seem to be a similar deal to Delkin & very good if you don't need to invest in getting something capable of 500 MB/s.

I assume USD quoted?? I'll be waiting for your feedback since I need them by spring.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
leolol said:
I use these

amazon.com: goo.gl/YhV49l

cheaper Transcend CFX600 (vs the more expensive CFX650) and they work perfectly for all resolutions on my 1dx2.
They are made with MLC memory which is cheaper but not as fast as tlc. Same goes for standard SSD's.

Thanks for that. I assume I could buy from Canada but to check availability I went to Amazon.ca and .... check this price!!

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=256GB%2C+CFast2.0%2C+SATA3%2C+MLC It never ceases to amaze me.

Jack

EDIT: I bought 128GB for roughly $120 CAD at the time. The price pretty much doubled within weeks when I decided to buy more, so I didn't.

Upvote 0
leolol said:
I use these

amazon.com: goo.gl/YhV49l

cheaper Transcend CFX600 (vs the more expensive CFX650) and they work perfectly for all resolutions on my 1dx2.
They are made with MLC memory which is cheaper but not as fast as tlc. Same goes for standard SSD's.

MLC is much better than TLC. If you get MLC cheaper, be happy. For SSD, write throughout is 8x better on MLC. Read perf is similar.
Just try to copy a disk image to TLC and you will get it. Then u will understand that 95% online reviews are misleading.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
TLC is the slowest with worst endurance:
http://www.speedguide.net/faq/slc-mlc-or-tlc-nand-for-solid-state-drives-406
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/flash-data-center-advantages,2-744-2.html
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-slc-mlc-and-tlc-nand-flash.html

While the speed may not be a problem (370MB/s is still much higher than 800Mb/s), the endurance is quite important - I don't want my pics/movies to get corrupted one day :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Pascal Parvex said:
Jack Douglas said:
Remember, I'm a beginner, please. ;) What is the difference between fps and p?

Jack

FPS stands for frames per second. P stands for progressive footage, i for interlaced. The latter is more or less no longer used.

OK, but it seems that fps and p are the same in the way they are used??

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jopa said:
Ok folks those Delkin Devices cards are garbage. $300 wasted, congrats to myself.
"Movie recording has been stopped automatically" getting this error every day, the card now can't keep up with the bitrate. Apparently it degrades over time pretty quickly.
DO NOT BUY!

That's too bad! Thanks for posting this to help all CR folk!!

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Another update guys. Formatted the card and it's working again, no errors. Some people say all cards (even top brands like SanDisk) need to be re-formatted sooner or later. I personally never had this problem before, and I'm not sure now if the card is bad or not... It's still kind of a bummer if you shoot an important video and it stops suddenly when you less expect it. Maybe it makes sense to re-format the card every time before shooting an important event? Puzzled...

Upvote 0