Cherry Point Air Show

Over the weekend I attended my first airshow at the Marine Corps air base in Cherry Point, NC. It was full of all sorts of drama... exhaustion the first night and sleeping the in the car, locking the keys in the car after arriving Saturday morning (along with all my camera gear), and just dealing with the crowds in general. I've only gone through about 1/3 of my photos from the show, but so far I'm really happy with what I have:

Lucas Oil Pitts Special - Cherry Point Airshow by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

Corkscrew - Cherry Point Airshow by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

Sunset - Cherry Point Airshow by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

Propeller Vapor Trails - Cherry Point Airshow by Ron Yorgason, on Flickr

RustyTheGeek said:
Neat! Which lens(s) / camera did you lock in the car end up shooting it with? ;D

Nobody on base could help me break in, but a few people in the parking lot had tools to help us out. Fortunately we got there early enough that an extra 90 minutes spent breaking in didn't cause us to miss the show. A small prybar made a big enough gap in the top of the door, and my antenna that I unscrewed fit down the gap to hit the unlock button.

All of the above shots were made with a Canon 7D2 + 100-400mm f/5.6L IS II lens I bought just in time for the show. When it got too dark Friday night, I started shooting with a Canon 200/f2 + 1.4x extender, which let me shoot a little bit later into the night, Saturday I just stuck with the 7D2.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you had a great time and the little goof with the door locks didn't ruin the day! I think we've all done that at least once. But I've carried an extra car key in my pocket/wallet almost since I was 16 so it really hasn't happened to me at all except maybe that first time long ago...

Looking forward to seeing a few more shots when you've had the time to post them! :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
These are great shots Yorgasor! Maybe take a small fold up stool next time (to get a little over the crowd?? :)

That's a brilliant idea! I know another photographer in the area who carries a fold up stool on his backpack at events. He's a little on the shorter side, but it would probably come in handy for me too

Upvote 0