Chicago

I'm originally from Chicago. I'd say the area around the Chicago Loop; Grant Park; Buckingham fountain; Millennium Park, Art Institute; near North Side starting from Grant Park, heading north towards Lincoln Park and the zoo continuing along Michigan Ave. and Lake Shore Drive.

You may also want to check out the Field Museum and Museum of Science and Industry and area along Lake Shore Drive, Hyde Park, etc. there are some Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Hyde Park near the University of Chicago.

Just depends on what you have in mind: street, architecture, it's all there.

Enjoy and have fun

Upvote 0
Be advised -- parking can get very, very expensive: http://chicago.bestparking.com That includes areas around the parks. museums, etc., so plan accordingly.

Ditto what SPL says about Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium. Walking along Lake Michigan Shoreline near either will give you a better idea. Maybe from Navy Pier as well -- not sure. Haven't been to Chicago in a long time ...

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
ray5 said:
Hi,
I will be visiting Chicago and suburbs in a few weeks. Could you please suggest good spots to photograph? I would like to do night shots of the cityscape, skyline as well if safely possible. Thanks,
Ray

Dear Friend Mr. Ray.
On June 2014, I went to AIA, Convention and Exposition in Chicago. And take a lot of Photos od downtown/ up town og Chicago. If you are member of Facebook, Please be my friend , ( Surapon Sujjavanich), You can see the Photos of Chicago in my point of views.

https://www.facebook.com/surapon01/media_set?set=a.10204347568747017.1073742278.1163677771&type=3

Have FUN.
Surapon

Attachments

• C-4 (2).JPG
    C-4 (2).JPG
    916.7 KB · Views: 237
  • H-IMG_181.JPG
    H-IMG_181.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 239
  • H-IMG_186.JPG
    H-IMG_186.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    904.1 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0
surapon said:
ray5 said:
Hi,
I will be visiting Chicago and suburbs in a few weeks. Could you please suggest good spots to photograph? I would like to do night shots of the cityscape, skyline as well if safely possible. Thanks,
Ray

Dear Friend Mr. Ray.
On June 2014, I went to AIA, Convention and Exposition in Chicago. And take a lot of Photos od downtown/ up town og Chicago. If you are member of Facebook, Please be my friend , ( Surapon Sujjavanich), You can see the Photos of Chicago in my point of views.

https://www.facebook.com/surapon01/media_set?set=a.10204347568747017.1073742278.1163677771&type=3

Have FUN.
Surapon

Dear Surapon,
I am not on FB. I always enjoy your images!

Upvote 0
James Munney said:
Ray, I'm an ex-Chicagoan and believe the replies to your post are spot-on and will keep you very busy for a long time. I would specifically concur with the boat tour idea. Most of the tours have a trip through the locks and into Lake Michigan. The skyline from that point is wonderful. I went on the Wendella Line, which starts from Michigan Ave. and the river. Here is a link to a pBase folder of mine, with shots from July 2009 taken with a Canon 2100 point-and-shoot pocket camera. Enjoy your trip.
http://www.pbase.com/canonball/chi09
Regards,
James
Very Nice! Thanks. I really enjoy late night skyline pictures but wonder how difficult it would be to take on a tripod on a bobbing boat? Long exposures are obviously not going to work.

Upvote 0
Very Nice! Thanks. I really enjoy late night skyline pictures but wonder how difficult it would be to take on a tripod on a bobbing boat? Long exposures are obviously not going to work.

There are a couple of vantage points that come to mind. 1) Navy Pier, although there is a lot of ambient light and 2) the view from the Shedd Aquarium.
If you have a wide angle lens, you may even get good shots from along the lakefront near Buckingham fountain.
James

Upvote 0

SPL

Jan 28, 2012
James Munney said:
Ray, I'm an ex-Chicagoan and believe the replies to your post are spot-on and will keep you very busy for a long time. I would specifically concur with the boat tour idea. Most of the tours have a trip through the locks and into Lake Michigan. The skyline from that point is wonderful. I went on the Wendella Line, which starts from Michigan Ave. and the river. Here is a link to a pBase folder of mine, with shots from July 2009 taken with a Canon 2100 point-and-shoot pocket camera. Enjoy your trip.
http://www.pbase.com/canonball/chi09
Regards,
James
+1 James!...totally forgot about this option! This a great idea. Try the water taxi…get on and off at various stops….the city at night/evening is awesome!...have fun!
http://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/

Upvote 0
My take . . .

If you are healthy (can walk distances), you can get around without a car. There are plenty of Chicago icons to photograph EVERYWHERE you go. The architecture is spectacular and the parks are unique/beautiful. For further ventures take a cab.

Again, the boat trips are nice to venture along and see things, but you can get great shots (with a tripod) from land along the river. Also, you should definitely make the effort to go to the observation levels at the Willis Tower and the Hancock Building. Millennium and Grant Parks are a must (go to Cloud Gate, aka The Bean.)

Here's some shots I took last winter, many converted to B+W due to weather. Never had a car.

Attachments

• 4D6A9331-6 copy.jpg
    4D6A9331-6 copy.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 4D6A9249-2 copy.jpg
    4D6A9249-2 copy.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 4D6A9610.jpg
    4D6A9610.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 4D6A9608-2.jpg
    4D6A9608-2.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 4D6A9573-2.jpg
    4D6A9573-2.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 4D6A9525.jpg
    4D6A9525.jpg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 4D6A9413-2.jpg
    4D6A9413-2.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0
triggermike said:
My take . . .

If you are healthy (can walk distances), you can get around without a car. There are plenty of Chicago icons to photograph EVERYWHERE you go. The architecture is spectacular and the parks are unique/beautiful. For further ventures take a cab.

Again, the boat trips are nice to venture along and see things, but you can get great shots (with a tripod) from land along the river. Also, you should definitely make the effort to go to the observation levels at the Willis Tower and the Hancock Building. Millennium and Grant Parks are a must (go to Cloud Gate, aka The Bean.)

Here's some shots I took last winter, many converted to B+W due to weather. Never had a car.
Excellent! That's the plan. Either take the train in or park the car for the day and walk. I would assume that beyond taking the obvious precautions, the area around the Fountain, Grant park, Planetarium etc are safe?

Upvote 0