Christmas 2016: Your favorite $50 or less photo gift ideas

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Great thread. Lookinjg forward to seeing what ideas people have.

On my wishlist is a really warm pair of thin gloves, thin enough to wear while shooting. I suspect thin and warm are mutually exclusive, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear about them.

Ideas? Books. Books are still the best way to look at photos. Everyone serious photographer should have Robert Frank's The Americans. Other great ones are:

Edward Weston, 125 Photographs; Paul Strand, 60 Years of Photographs; The Photographer's Eye (the real one by John Szarkowski, not the one by some other guy); Why People Photograph and/or Beauty in Photography, both by Robert Adams; The Nature of Photographs by Stephen Shore; Naomi Rosenblum's A World History of Photography; Photography After Frank, Essays by Philip Gefter; The Ongoing Moment by Geoff Dyer; Susan Sontag's On Photography, and Group FG.64 by Mary Street Alinder. Just a few great reads.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
unfocused said:
On my wishlist is a really warm pair of thin gloves, thin enough to wear while shooting. I suspect thin and warm are mutually exclusive, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear about them.
Take a look at these. I own a pair of LowePro gloves, though mine look to be an older design. They work well and allow camera control.
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Gloves-black-Lycra-Thermax/dp/B0000AE6C7

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
scottburgess said:
unfocused said:
Take a look at these. I own a pair of LowePro gloves, though mine look to be an older design. They work well and allow camera control.
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Gloves-black-Lycra-Thermax/dp/B0000AE6C7

Have you considered glove liners?

https://www.amazon.com/Terramar-Adult-Thermasilk-Glove-Medium/dp/B000V5DB1E/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1480289661&sr=1-1&keywords=thin+gloves

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
scottburgess said:
All I want for Christmas is my two great whites. ;)

However, at $9k+ each, a more realistic price range is under $50. So I need to fill out my wish lists, as many of you do too. What are some of the best gear pieces you have in this price range? Please share!

Scott

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit calendar and a soft pair of tube socks.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Well, Christmas is over. Did anyone receive fun photo gifts?

I got a pair of LimoStudio acrylic table tops displays, but suggest everyone avoid those. They came with air bubbles and deep scratches on the surface--completely worthless. If anyone is considering those, I recommend avoiding them and do what I did: hit your local tile store for an assortment of tiles that cost far less and are very durable (and easily replaced!).

I returned the acrylic table tops and ordered a Flash X-Tender for my flash instead. I look forward to its arrival.

Upvote 0