Chuck Westfall & the 5D Mark III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2010
I'm thinking the same thing.

At 100 iso, what will be better with 18mp of the 1d x compared to the 21 mp 5d2 at 100 iso? Will I actually see better DR, and they claim better detail, how?

And also, after color-calibrating my shots lately, I see NO difference in color between any camera and lens combo. So what's left?

I know about all the other differences, but for pure iso IQ, will the 1dx and 5d 3 offer anything better than the 5d2?

Upvote 0
J

josupi

to quote Mr. Westfall:

"A new feature called Digital Lens Optimizer processes RAW images to achieve ideal optical characteristics for all types of optical aberration or diffraction, effects of a low-pass filter in front of a CMOS sensor, etc. This function improves image quality particularly in the image periphery in addition to the image center. This function is made possible because the entire design-through-manufacture process, for camera, CMOS sensor, EF lens, and DPP, is carried out entirely at Canon. Images are processed optimally using lens information in the image files (focal length, subject distance, and aperture) and lens data specially for the Digital Lens Optimizer. (However, the size of a .CR2 file will be two to three times larger after applying the Digital Lens Optimizer.) "

Would that mean, that a third party software like Lightroom will be able to see and process a raw-file with the "Digital Lens Optimization" of DPP? A really cool feature if true.
And if it was possible to convert the "corrected" raw-file to the dng-format one would be more independant of the update-policy of adobe.

Upvote 0
J

JonJT

DeepShadows said:
JonJT said:
DeepShadows said:
My favorite quote by far was this:

"AH: Given the increased burst speed why doesn’t the 5D Mark III support class 10 SD-UHS cards?

CW: The EOS 5D Mark III supports Class 10 SDXC and SDHC memory cards, but not the UHS standard."

Gee thanks Chuck, we know it doesn't, he asked WHY does it not support them and you answered by saying it doesn't support it..... great, there goes the usefulness of the SD card slot for me :(

Hmmm, RAW on both cards, I assume was your desired usage?

Yes sir! Now I can just imagine the buffer filling and taking forever to dump to that max 30MB/S SD card while my 90 MB/S CF cards sit in boredom and wait... I guess I might as well just shoot without the backup slow card if it's going to make me miss shots :(

Maybe the camera will allow you to write to the CF first and mirror it later? It seems rather silly on Canon's part to not allow you to make two copies of each RAW file, one onto each card.

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
DeepShadows said:
JonJT said:
DeepShadows said:
My favorite quote by far was this:

"AH: Given the increased burst speed why doesn’t the 5D Mark III support class 10 SD-UHS cards?

CW: The EOS 5D Mark III supports Class 10 SDXC and SDHC memory cards, but not the UHS standard."

Gee thanks Chuck, we know it doesn't, he asked WHY does it not support them and you answered by saying it doesn't support it..... great, there goes the usefulness of the SD card slot for me :(

Hmmm, RAW on both cards, I assume was your desired usage?

Yes sir! Now I can just imagine the buffer filling and taking forever to dump to that max 30MB/S SD card while my 90 MB/S CF cards sit in boredom and wait... I guess I might as well just shoot without the backup slow card if it's going to make me miss shots :(

This amazes me! The T3i supports UHS-1 cards; why not the $3500 Mark III?

It seems more and more to me that the CF card slot is the primary... All the burst speed numbers in the specs quote an 8GB UDMA card and a 128GB UDMA 7 card... No mention of what the SD card alone can support...

You would think, particularly if you were writing RAW+JPEG to both cards in a primary/backup scenario, that Canon would want both card slots capable of maximum performance? What good will it do if your blazing fast CF card has already written the images and your backup SD card is still playing catch up?

Upvote 0
josupi said:
to quote Mr. Westfall:

"A new feature called Digital Lens Optimizer processes RAW images to achieve ideal optical characteristics for all types of optical aberration or diffraction, effects of a low-pass filter in front of a CMOS sensor, etc. This function improves image quality particularly in the image periphery in addition to the image center. This function is made possible because the entire design-through-manufacture process, for camera, CMOS sensor, EF lens, and DPP, is carried out entirely at Canon. Images are processed optimally using lens information in the image files (focal length, subject distance, and aperture) and lens data specially for the Digital Lens Optimizer. (However, the size of a .CR2 file will be two to three times larger after applying the Digital Lens Optimizer.) "

This feature has received very little buzz, but I find it quite fascinating. I'm very curious how effective it will be. Maybe it's a gimmick, maybe it's a legitimately useful feature. With the shipment date of 5DIIIs imminent, we shall see very soon :)

Upvote 0
V8Beast said:
josupi said:
to quote Mr. Westfall:

This feature has received very little buzz, but I find it quite fascinating. I'm very curious how effective it will be. Maybe it's a gimmick, maybe it's a legitimately useful feature. With the shipment date of 5DIIIs imminent, we shall see very soon :)

It caught my attention too. Is he saying that it could, for example, correct for some of the edge of image deficiencies of UWA lenses like the 17-40L? It can't magically make images sharp edge-to-edge of course, but possibly reduce CA and other issues?

Upvote 0
Cali_PH said:
It caught my attention too. Is he saying that it could, for example, correct for some of the edge of image deficiencies of UWA lenses like the 17-40L? It can't magically make images sharp edge-to-edge of course, but possibly reduce CA and other issues?

That's how I interpret it. In light of all the stink that's been made over the 5DIII's noise and DR, if this feature actually works, this is the kind of innovation people are accustomed to seeing from Canon.

Optically, my L lenses are damn near perfect, but I wouldn't mind less vignetting from my 24-105.

Upvote 0
Terry Rogers said:
unfocused said:
I have to say, I'm not overly impressed with Westfall's interview.

I found his response to the question about high ISO performance with RAW files more than a bit unsatisfying:
"These figures are not being disclosed, but of course they will be lower than the noise reduction achieved with in-camera JPEGs and EOS Movies."

It sounds like the camera has a great autofocus system and I know that's what most 5D II people wanted, but as a 7D owner hoping for improvements in sensor technology, his comments aren't giving me a lot of confidence.

I literally laughed out loud when I read "These figures are not being disclosed". Really?!? REALY!!!???? He has got to be kidding us. For the life of me I cannot understand why canon would not want to disclose this. It's not like we're not going to find out in a few weeks anyways (I know, double negative). It just makes it seems like Canon his trying to hide something. If they are so proud of their improved jpeg performance, why not improved raw performance. It's the raw performance that the vast majority of 5d3 owners actually care about.

I'm a little baffled.

They are not trying to hide something. Results with RAW are entirely subjective and depend on the kind of post-processing applied, and how much effort you put into post processing. Given that the same RAW data was used to produce the JPEG's in the first place, there is really nothing to prevent a clever and hard working photographer from creating final output that is just as good as the in-camera JPEG. Its just that it could take a LOT of effort, and many photographers will be unwilling to expend the amount of energy necessary. As such, they can't publish any specific numbers, as results will vary from photographer to photographer.

Thats in contrast to the JPEGS. They know exactly what kind of processing they have put into them, and exactly what that processing can achieve. They also know that the results oscillate within a fairly narrow range. Only then can a company like Canon legitimately and safely (for their own sakes, to keep themselves from getting sued) claim any particular improvements.

We'll know soon enough what the low-level hardware is capable of from DXO. Around the same time we'll also know what we can expect in a more real-world context from DPR (i.e. without pushing the hardware to its absolute limits and expending a tremendous amount of time and energy in post to extract every last ounce from every last pixel). It may not improve by the full 2.5 stops we all want it to, but I believe it will improve adequately one way or another.

Upvote 0
How Chuck Westfall is able to remain employed by Canon will always be a mystery to me. What complete non-answers.

Just about all I could gain from this is, I noticed he used different words when comparing the 1DX and the 5D mk3 to the 1D mkIV. From what it SOUNDS like, I'd say that both the 1DX AND the 5D mk3 are going to be better focusing than the 1D mkIV, but in some subtle, tech-jargon-obscured way, the 1D mkIV will retain an advantage over the 5D mk3?

Anybody care to venture additional guesses at how the 5D mk3 will AF compared to other flagship cameras? I know there was a similarly subtle and almost-impossible-to-detect difference between the D700 and the D3's AF, and then the D3s etc. But I also know that the D700 (and now the D800 it seems) have ALMOST EVERY BIT of both accuracy AND speed when it comes to AF.

If Canon has found some subtle way to "cripple" the flagship AF in the 5D mk3 so that it looks awesome and flagship-y on paper but actually starts to drop the ball in low light enough to make people want for the 1DX, well, I think that is an epic fail on Canon's part. Although it would be in keeping with their long tradition of tactful product placement.

However personally I'm assuming the best; I bet the 5D mk3's AF will be 99.9% of the 1DX, and it will be the perfect camera for MANY types of photographers...

=Matt=

BTW, the whole thing regarding RAW noise is kinda silly. In my opinion, Chuck is just embarrassed to state that Canon's own RAW processing options play second-fiddle (or third, or fourth?) to Adobe's powerful ACR, and other RAW converters that do a WAY better job at maintaining low light high ISO image detail while eliminating noise.

Upvote 0
Matthew Saville said:
How Chuck Westfall is able to remain employed by Canon will always be a mystery to me. What complete non-answers.

Just about all I could gain from this is, I noticed he used different words when comparing the 1DX and the 5D mk3 to the 1D mkIV. From what it SOUNDS like, I'd say that both the 1DX AND the 5D mk3 are going to be better focusing than the 1D mkIV, but in some subtle, tech-jargon-obscured way, the 1D mkIV will retain an advantage over the 5D mk3?

Anybody care to venture additional guesses at how the 5D mk3 will AF compared to other flagship cameras? I know there was a similarly subtle and almost-impossible-to-detect difference between the D700 and the D3's AF, and then the D3s etc. But I also know that the D700 (and now the D800 it seems) have ALMOST EVERY BIT of both accuracy AND speed when it comes to AF.

If Canon has found some subtle way to "cripple" the flagship AF in the 5D mk3 so that it looks awesome and flagship-y on paper but actually starts to drop the ball in low light enough to make people want for the 1DX, well, I think that is an epic fail on Canon's part. Although it would be in keeping with their long tradition of tactful product placement.

However personally I'm assuming the best; I bet the 5D mk3's AF will be 99.9% of the 1DX, and it will be the perfect camera for MANY types of photographers...

=Matt=

BTW, the whole thing regarding RAW noise is kinda silly. In my opinion, Chuck is just embarrassed to state that Canon's own RAW processing options play second-fiddle (or third, or fourth?) to Adobe's powerful ACR, and other RAW converters that do a WAY better job at maintaining low light high ISO image detail while eliminating noise.

From what I gathered, he's saying the 5d3 and the 1dx uses better tracking mechanisms and al servo will have a newer generation II vs III, so both should be "better" than the 1d4, but the 1dx will be even better because it has the IFCL sensor, but the 5d3 should be better than the 1d4, although in the end the proof will be in the pudding in a few days/weeks.

I personally was rubbed the wrong way with all his vague answers, but then again, he probably was given explicit instructions what to answer, what not to answer, and if he wants to keep his nice fat paycheck, he better abide by that, so i think it's more his handlers telling him "no comment" rather than him avoiding questions for the heck of it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Drewskers said:
D_Rochat said:
Drewskers said:
There is an arrogance, if not actual contempt, shown for the customer in this interview. The answer about f/8 focusing borders on flippant.

"CW: This request has been conveyed for consideration."

I must have read another article because I didn't detect any "arrogance". The fact that they are listening to their consumers and considering f/8 is far better than him flat out saying no. You have to keep in mind that he has to be careful with what he says and promises because Canon customers would want his head if he went back on something he said, no matter what the reasons were.

I worked for a Big Corporation (about the size of Canon) for 30+ years, so allow me to translate for you what it means when a corporate mouthpiece says something like "This request has been conveyed for consideration":

"You're annoying the crap out of me, go away and die"

That's a little harsh, don't you think? Big corporations have to listen to their customers, because the customer always comes first.

Oh, wait, my mistake. The shareholder comes first. As for customer suggestions, those are always handled appropriately:

shredder_by_shawnblog-300x225.jpg

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Seriously, I don't know if Westfall just isn't very good at corporate PR or if Canon isn't very good at it, but in either case, the approach seems to be quite behind the times in comparison to how smart companies handle their public relations.

People get jaded about corporate relations, but there are quite a few very smart and good examples out there of companies who understand the importance of candor and keeping their customer base informed with intelligent, reasonable explanations.

Reading this interview made me think that Westfall went into it unprepared and expecting to just coast with a few talking points about what he wanted to emphasize. Of course, you always want to get your points across, but being unable to answer some pretty softball questions is amateurish. He didn't do himself or his employer any favors in this interview.

Upvote 0
Matthew Saville said:

I realize I'm pi$$ing into the wind on this issue but I am amazed, not just at this particular comment, but at all the negativity directed at Chuck Westfall. Is no one able to see beyond their own perspective to understand his? Chuck works for Canon. It is not his job to be a critic or to disclose proprietary plans or to answer every question that is asked. He is not supposed to be an objective observer who sees all sides. People may be frustrated with his lack of candor on certain performance parameters or Canon's future plans but he is always truthful—and you'll notice that he doesn't deny that issues exist.

To my knowledge, there is not another Chuck Westfall in this industry and we should be thankful that he works for Canon. He is genuinely knowledgeable about the products, how they work, and issues that users have with them. When he says Canon is aware of a situation and is looking into it, you know he is speaking from a position of knowledge. He's accessible to darn near everyone who has a question and if he personally doesn't know the answer he will find someone who does. He is an advocate for us within Canon and that's a very good thing when you're dealing with a company that doesn't always seem to be completely in touch with its customers.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Seriously, I don't know if Westfall just isn't very good at corporate PR or if Canon isn't very good at it, but in either case, the approach seems to be quite behind the times in comparison to how smart companies handle their public relations.

People get jaded about corporate relations, but there are quite a few very smart and good examples out there of companies who understand the importance of candor and keeping their customer base informed with intelligent, reasonable explanations.

Reading this interview made me think that Westfall went into it unprepared and expecting to just coast with a few talking points about what he wanted to emphasize. Of course, you always want to get your points across, but being unable to answer some pretty softball questions is amateurish. He didn't do himself or his employer any favors in this interview.

I personally dont know if i'd perfer canon's PR approach or Apples... Apple released an iphone for instance, big press conference, big announcement, big presentation, lots of buzz... and then after the announcement, the dark curtain gets drawn again until the release, albeit, to apples credit, their release is usually 1 week or less from the announcement date, and they do let developers in early to play, experiment, and build apps for the new product. But to the layman, there's no trade shows (focus), no outside interviews (chuck westfall)... I think part of his vagueness about future products and F8 is somewhat justifiable as I dont think he would really be privy to that info, probably very few are... The RAW info he probably knows but much like apple, mum's the word until it is released.

Upvote 0
Seamus said:
The digital lens optimizer does sound great

I have to admit that I didn't even read Chuck's comments about this feature because I do not, nor will I ever, use DPP. Building proprietary features into your own proprietary RAW converter software seems like a waste of resources. Why not work with Adobe to make those features available in ACR and LR? Or release the specs so that Adobe can do it themselves? This seems like it would be a much greater service to Canon's customers.

Having said that, I'm completely ignorant on software development so maybe this isn't even feasible. But regardless, features like this that aren't available to ACR and LR users don't do most people any good.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.