Circular filter stuck to Lee 77mm wide angle adapter ring. Help appreciated.

ahsanford said:
jprusa said:
Living at the Beach and using both systems, the Lee IMHO is the best way for me, since I have never had a adaptor ring stick to my UV filter.

Thx. So you UV at the base of the stack. How early does that vignette with a two slot setup for you? 24mm? 20mm? (Also, do you use the 105 CPL ring or do you go another route for that?) Just curious.

I've built my setup to get the widest output I can out of my 16-35 f/4L IS, but putting UV in the mix (with two slots) would probably turn that lens into a 20-35 without the CPL and a 24-35 with the CPL in place.

- A

For the majority of my seascapes I use a Canon 5D mk IV and Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, with a 3mm thick protection filter and Lee 77mm wide angle adapter ring attached to the front of the lens. With this setup the filter holder does not come into the frame when using either my one or two slot holders, which both have Lee Polorasing rings permanently attached to them. However the corners of the framed are obscured with both holder set-ups when the standard Lee 105mm Polarising filter is attached (from around 20mm down with the two slot holder and 18mm with the one slot), using the one slot holder with the newer (and much slimmer) Lee Landscape Polarising filter solves this however, and vignetting is minimal with the two slot holder even at 16mm with that setup.

Upvote 0
Pookie said:
Often, issues like this can be resolved with little effort by placing the filters affected in the freezer. Cold will cause the metal to unseize. If it is attached to a camera, judicious use of an ice cube around the filter will often be enough.

I tried the fridge, freezer and hot water but they didn't help on this occasional. Thankfully I'm now sorted after using oil filter wrenches.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
jprusa said:
Living at the Beach and using both systems, the Lee IMHO is the best way for me, since I have never had a adaptor ring stick to my UV filter.

Thx. So you UV at the base of the stack. How early does that with a two slot setup for you? 24mm? 20mm? (Also, do you use the 105 CPL ring or do you go another route for that?) Just curious.

I've built my setup to get the widest output I can out of my 16-35 f/4L IS, but putting UV in the mix (with two slots) would probably turn that lens into a 20-35 without the CPL and a 24-35 with the CPL in place.

- A
I never stack filters and it is a CPL sometimes but the most used is the reversed GND filter , a slight vignette at 20 but I just purchased a new holder a Nisi and have not had a chance to test yet . Lee was getting loose and starting to annoy me.

Upvote 0

A protection filter and a slot on a Lee filter holder are approximately the same depth, so adding a protection filter into your set up effectively costs you a filter slot when it comes to vignetting (although you can gain slightly in that regard when using altra thin filters)

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
bitm2007 said:
I've got a Lee 77mm wide angle adapter ring stuck to my 77mm Breakthrough Photography x4 10 stop filter. I can't get them apart using elastic bands, filter wrenches, rubber mats, string etc because the recess of the wide angle adaptor is deeper than the depth of the filter. Any idea's ?

Try putting it in the freezer for a while?

Scott

Upvote 0