Clarification & Corrections on the Upcoming New Lenses from Canon [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Further clarification and corrections on <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/new-tilt-shift-lenses-to-be-45mm-90mm-135mm-cr2/">our previous reports</a> regarding the new tilt-shift lenses that are coming.</p>
<p>We’re told that we were incorrect on the TS-E 45mm f/2.8L and that it is in fact a TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro, the TS-E 90mm f/2.8L was correct, except that it to, will have macro functionality. We also assumed that all of the lenses are f/2.8L, but we’re told that the TS-E 135mm is actually an f/4L with macro capability.</p>
<p>The macro feature is 1:2 and not 1:1 across all three of the new tilt-shift lenses.</p>
<p>We also received further information in regards to the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS, a lens I’m looking forward to.</p>
<p><strong>The new tilt-shift lenses</strong></p>

<ul>
<li>TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro</li>
<li>TS-E 90mm f/2.8L Macro</li>
<li>TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro</li>
<li>All these new tilt-shift lenses have 1:2 (0.5x) macro magnification</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Positioned between the EF 85mm f/1.2L II and the EF 85mm f/1.8</li>
<li>Same styling as the new EF 35mm f/1.4L II</li>
<li>Fast AF and a 4 stop effective IS.</li>
</ul>
<p>All of this is still [CR2] until we get the confirmation that makes us comfortable with upgrading the rating of the rumor. This round of lenses has been extremely hard to get information on, but we do hope we have now got the correct information.</p>
<p>We’re still told everything is coming at the end of August.</p>
<p><em><strong>Update: 18:09 EST, August 12, 2017:</strong> We’ve upgraded this information to [<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">CR3</a>]</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Clarification & Corrections on the Upcoming New Lenses from Canon [CR2]

50 f/2.8? 135 f/4? Only 1:2 max mag? Maybe they are being made in Malaysia. :p (I know, I know, L lenses are Japan.)

And with the 85 f/1.4L IS, something that will be demonstrably sharper, have much faster AF and an industry first f/1.4 IS is not going to be positioned anywhere other than the top of the line. I'm simply not buying this new wrinkle of news. This is going to be a pricey as hell lens.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

chrysoberyl said:
Are they likely to be compatible with ET's?

Yes. Pretty much every lens is compatible with extenstion tubes (only issues are with wider lenses and longer tubes). A 135mm lens won't get as much benefit from standard tubes, though (you'd need to stack a few).

Upvote 0

chrysoberyl said:
neuroanatomist said:
I might be tempted by the TS-E 135/4L Macro. I wonder if these new lenses will be compatible with TCs like the current TS-E lenses.

Are they likely to be compatible with ET's?

Yes - I see a use for my rather nice Novoflex EF bellows (min 58mm extension)

Upvote 0

Jopa said:
It seems like a good time to say my sigma 85a farewell :(
Me too. I wonder though why the new 85mm will be positioned between the EF EF 85 f/1.2L II and the EF 85mm f/1.8. I guess it will be the best of them all and will going to be pricey.

Upvote 0

swkitt said:
I think my old TS-E 90mm already has a macro ratio of 1:2 even if it's not called a macro lens...
No, 0.29x (MFD is 0.5 metre)

Tubes info also at:

http://www.eflens.com/ef-lenses/ts_e90_28.html

Attachments

• macro-rig-setup.jpg
    macro-rig-setup.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012

ahsanford said:
swkitt said:
I think my old TS-E 90mm already has a macro ratio of 1:2 even if it's not called a macro lens...

You sure about that? TDP says it's a 0.29x max mag (without tubes, of course).

- A

I thought it was 1:3 (that the Nikon was 1:2). with an extender got to 1:2

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore

keithcooper said:
swkitt said:
No, 0.29x (MFD is 0.5 metre)

Tubes info also at:

http://www.eflens.com/ef-lenses/ts_e90_28.html
The flash cord may need to raised a bit

Upvote 0