Clean and tune. How often?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
cayenne said:
What exactly does "TUNE" entail?

They replace the timing belt and check the valve timing. ;D

Honestly, no idea. Curious myself. I'm not sure if any mechanical/lubricating work is done on springs, if disassemble-able internals are securely re-screwed back down, if gunk is cleaned out of non-sensor / high traffic / sliding interface areas., if they clean dust/gunk out of hard to reach areas, etc.

The lady I called stated that the camera goes through an 18 point servicing, but she didn't itemize those for me.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ahsanford said:
cayenne said:

Honestly, no idea. Curious myself. I'm not sure if any mechanical/lubricating work is done on springs, if disassemble-able internals are securely re-screwed back down, if gunk is cleaned out of non-sensor / high traffic / sliding interface areas., if they clean dust/gunk out of hard to reach areas, etc.

The lady I called stated that the camera goes through an 18 point servicing, but she didn't itemize those for me.

- A

A tune means they run through the shutter speeds to make sure they are accurate, it harks back to the days of mechanical cameras where the shutter speeds, and aperture settings, had many levers and dials, springs and the like that needed occasional fettling. I'm sure they can just plug in a cable now but they must still attach it to something to get the shutter open length and the curtain travel speed as you can't open the back and see through it like you used to be able to do.

I know for the 1V after a shutter change you needed to get a preliminary adjustment via proprietary software.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
cayenne said:

- A

It's not really a 'clean and tune'. It used to be called 'clean and check' until they renamed it as Canon Maintenance Service. Here are the details:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-maintenance-service

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
cayenne said:
Ok...question.

I get what clean is...sensor, mirror, etc.

I had thought this originally meant tuning the body to focus properly with your lenses, but it sounds like form another post that that service is something else entirely and requires like $200 per lens??

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

See what Neuro linked about the CMS (cleaning/checking service). The $200 thing was to calibrate the camera body and lenses together for optimal focusing. Separate service altogether.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
cayenne said:
What all exactly can you get CPS to do if you're a member?

I checked and I have plenty enough points to have the top two tiers levels of service.

I gather from this thread, you can get you sensor cleaned....checked.

Can you send in the body, and 2-3 lenses to check that they match and focus is working properly?

I've been finding when shooting at times, I hear the beep, but don't see the focus points flash red.....and when this is happening, I find at times...that I've been missing focus.

I'm wanting to get my body and like my 3 main lenses I use, especially shooting concerts, 70-300 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, and the 11-14mm........

Also, if you ship this in, what's usually the turnaround time? How do you go about packing to ensure safe transit?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I have platinum level
They expedite service to overnight turnaround and overnight shipping.
The equipment gets a free 18 point clean/service/adjustment.
If you need uncovered repairs, you get 30% discount.
I have used them several times- camera dropped, check out before big trip, cleaning, etc. I have been very happy with service.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Excellent links and info.

A Quick questions....

If I were to join, and I have enough points for Gold and likely even Platinum, but don't think I need quite that level....if I were to join and send in my body and maybe 1-2 lenses, which do you estimate, based on ya'lls past experience....would be the turn around time?

The reason I ask is that i"m shooting Jazziest down here the first weekend of May and I have to have my gear for that.

Think it would be reasonable to think I could send it in, and get it back in time?

Also...how do ya'll pack your bodies/lenses to protect them for shipping round trip to canon? Do ya'll use FedEX or UPS for shipping? What packing do you use?

Thanks in advance!!!

cayenne

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
i sent in 5D3 and 24-70/II in January for cleaning and recalibration (dropped the set from about 18 inches). sent them in with UPS any got them both back within 4 days or so.
packaging going was double boxes on each item. return after fix was single box with bubble wrap.
cost to me was significant, even after Gold membership was more than $400. but i dropped them.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
cayenne said:
Excellent links and info.

A Quick questions....

If I were to join, and I have enough points for Gold and likely even Platinum, but don't think I need quite that level....if I were to join and send in my body and maybe 1-2 lenses, which do you estimate, based on ya'lls past experience....would be the turn around time?

The reason I ask is that i"m shooting Jazziest down here the first weekend of May and I have to have my gear for that.

Think it would be reasonable to think I could send it in, and get it back in time?

Also...how do ya'll pack your bodies/lenses to protect them for shipping round trip to canon? Do ya'll use FedEX or UPS for shipping? What packing do you use?

Thanks in advance!!!

cayenne

Very quick turn around time. If they are only doing CMS and no repair, usually they ship it back the same or next day. I just had a small repair done and it only took two days before they return shipped it. When CPS sends it back to you, they use a box with at least two inches of paper wrap/bubble wrap around the lens. CPS uses Fedex, but you can use whomever.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
RunAndGun said:
ethanz said:
Check if your home owners insurance will cover shipping of items, otherwise that can add some expense to the shipping cost (but it still is usually less than lensrental).

Why in the world would someone's home owners insurance cover the shipping costs for something like that?

I assume he meant insurance costs on the shipping, not the shipping fee itself. My home owners insurance covers a lot of things I wouldn't have expected, including my personal property when it is not at the house. The deductible would be the main drawback. I think my homeowners has a $2,500 deductible.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So I signed up to join and the EULA-like agreement terms pop up. Despite what my my phone call to Burbank inform me, the #1 item on the list is that I must be a working professional photographer. :mad:

But then I wrote Canon. Their answer? Apparently my money's as green as the next guy's:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I understand that you have questions regarding the Canon CPS program. I can address this for you.

You are allowed to join even though you are not a working photographer. We have many serious hobbyist photographers with extensive equipment and they are also supported when the equipment own qualifies for Platinum or Gold CPS.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

[name blanked]
Technical Support Representative

Signing up now! :D

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
Apparently my money's as green as the next guy's...

Signing up now!

Good to know for sure, although I've heard all along that is the case. I've considered signing up, but haven't felt the need. I can clean, check, and tighten external screws myself. For equipment evaluation, I'm usually pretty good at determining my needs/wants and matching a lens to them. In cases where I'm really unsure if I'll use something, I buy it used and either keep it (as I did with the MP-E 65mm) or sell it (as I did with the 200/2.8L, 70-300 DO and 300/4L IS), and in the latter case I get what amounts to a free long-term rental.

The only significant advantage I see is the repair discount and faster TAT, but except for an EOS M I've never had any Canon gear fail or need service (other than for a recall, once). If I ever do need service, I'll sign up for CPS at that point. I'm well north of triple-platinum in terms of qualifying points. ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Good to know for sure, although I've heard all along that is the case. I've considered signing up, but haven't felt the need. I can clean, check, and tighten external screws myself. For equipment evaluation, I'm usually pretty good at determining my needs/wants and matching a lens to them. In cases where I'm really unsure if I'll use something, I buy it used and either keep it (as I did with the MP-E 65mm) or sell it (as I did with the 200/2.8L, 70-300 DO and 300/4L IS), and in the latter case I get what amounts to a free long-term rental.

I see this as $100 a year for gear servicing with the added (potentially massive) boost of trying out eval equipment.

I need to see the fine print beyond subject to availability / 2 weeks lead time / etc. but this (a) could save me a great deal on my ~ 2x/year lens renting and (b) might have me give a gander to some niche gear that might not ever crack my Top 5 future pickups list. 200 f/2? 180 Macro? One of the new T/S lenses? Who knows?

- A

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:

I see this as $100 a year for gear servicing with the added (potentially massive) boost of trying out eval equipment.

I need to see the fine print beyond subject to availability / 2 weeks lead time / etc. but this (a) could save me a great deal on my ~ 2x/year lens renting and (b) might have me give a gander to some niche gear that might not ever crack my Top 5 future pickups list. 200 f/2? 180 Macro? One of the new T/S lenses? Who knows?

- A

Every time I've requested a loan (even when I was only Gold) they were very accommodating to my preferred dates. Send them an email requesting that 50mm you want, tell them Ethan sent you and they will let you in on the secret.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ethanz said:
Every time I've requested a loan (even when I was only Gold) they were very accommodating to my preferred dates. Send them an email requesting that 50mm you want, tell them Ethan sent you and they will let you in on the secret.

Surely there must be catches, limits, etc. or this is the Amazon Prime of lens renting -- a deal too good to pass up. If all I'm paying is shipping (which is only about 20% of the total cost from my LensRentals orders), I will be trying out a lot of lenses.

I wonder if it's a 'try before you buy' program and if all I'm doing is trying, they may cut me off. (That said, I don't plan to abuse this.)

But enough overthink. I'm in. Member of the cool club. I'll wear my badge everywhere. Demand free seat upgrades. Seat myself as I please in the nicest restaurants. Hang out with celebrities. ;D

- A

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
stevelee said:
RunAndGun said:
ethanz said:
Check if your home owners insurance will cover shipping of items, otherwise that can add some expense to the shipping cost (but it still is usually less than lensrental).

Why in the world would someone's home owners insurance cover the shipping costs for something like that?

I assume he meant insurance costs on the shipping, not the shipping fee itself. My home owners insurance covers a lot of things I wouldn't have expected, including my personal property when it is not at the house. The deductible would be the main drawback. I think my homeowners has a $2,500 deductible.

I can understand them covering items damaged in transit that you ship. I don't insure items I ship with the carriers, because my insurance will cover any damages. Although some people will insure the item(s) shipped for their insurance deductible amount, which can be a lot more reasonable.

Insurance can be tricky. I had a theft ~12 years ago while I was out of town shooting. They broke into my truck and actually stole the entire vehicle with everything in it. Thank goodness my camera(broadcast tv) was in the room with me. My truck was recovered several days later, but I still ended up having to make three separate insurance claims. One on my business insurance which covered my equipment, two on my vehicle insurance for my truck(damage/repairs)and related items(stereo, etc.) and three on my home insurance for personal items that were in the truck.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
Surely there must be catches, limits, etc. or this is the Amazon Prime of lens renting -- a deal too good to pass up. If all I'm paying is shipping (which is only about 20% of the total cost from my LensRentals orders), I will be trying out a lot of lenses.

I wonder if it's a 'try before you buy' program and if all I'm doing is trying, they may cut me off. (That said, I don't plan to abuse this.)

Looks like the only limits are that you can only try each item once, and you are limited to one evaluation at a time (but an evaluation can include up to three items, not including more than one camera and one supertele lens). Also, you break it you bought it, so to speak (= have insurance!).

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
ahsanford said:

But enough overthink. I'm in. Member of the cool club. I'll wear my badge everywhere. Demand free seat upgrades. Seat myself as I please in the nicest restaurants. Hang out with celebrities. ;D

- A

I know it's different in-person when CPS is at major events and supporting Canon photographers, but the loaner program that is in question here limits you to demoing a piece of gear once per model for life, at least for Gold and below. So don't think that you're going to get free use of a 200-400 1.4x every year for you annual safari. ; )

Upvote 0