Clean and tune. How often?

neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
Apparently my money's as green as the next guy's...

Signing up now!

Good to know for sure, although I've heard all along that is the case. I've considered signing up, but haven't felt the need. I can clean, check, and tighten external screws myself. For equipment evaluation, I'm usually pretty good at determining my needs/wants and matching a lens to them. In cases where I'm really unsure if I'll use something, I buy it used and either keep it (as I did with the MP-E 65mm) or sell it (as I did with the 200/2.8L, 70-300 DO and 300/4L IS), and in the latter case I get what amounts to a free long-term rental.

The only significant advantage I see is the repair discount and faster TAT, but except for an EOS M I've never had any Canon gear fail or need service (other than for a recall, once). If I ever do need service, I'll sign up for CPS at that point. I'm well north of triple-platinum in terms of qualifying points. ;)

+1. It would be nice to have documentation just in case the policy changes and they challenge you on it. I'll also wait for when I need service.

I would be tempted to try out the new TS-E lenses though. Those are harder to move in the used market.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
ahsanford said:
ethanz said:
Every time I've requested a loan (even when I was only Gold) they were very accommodating to my preferred dates. Send them an email requesting that 50mm you want, tell them Ethan sent you and they will let you in on the secret.

Surely there must be catches, limits, etc. or this is the Amazon Prime of lens renting -- a deal too good to pass up. If all I'm paying is shipping (which is only about 20% of the total cost from my LensRentals orders), I will be trying out a lot of lenses.

I wonder if it's a 'try before you buy' program and if all I'm doing is trying, they may cut me off. (That said, I don't plan to abuse this.)

But enough overthink. I'm in. Member of the cool club. I'll wear my badge everywhere. Demand free seat upgrades. Seat myself as I please in the nicest restaurants. Hang out with celebrities. ;D

- A

I don't think there are many catches, just that you can only rent lenses once as Gold member. I didn't know about the home owners policy covering the insurance shipping of items, so when I was evaluating all of Canon's 400's I was paying quite a bit to UPS for insurance. (CPS says you are responsible for the lenses MSRP, so for their 400 2.8, it was $18,000... which costs hundreds to insure with UPS)

My guess is, with the ridiculous MSRP they actually recoup a lot of their expenses if things get damaged.

And there isn't really any expectation that you have to buy a lens after evaluating it. So don't feel obliged.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
RunAndGun said:
ahsanford said:
Surely there must be catches, limits, etc. or this is the Amazon Prime of lens renting -- a deal too good to pass up. If all I'm paying is shipping (which is only about 20% of the total cost from my LensRentals orders), I will be trying out a lot of lenses.

I wonder if it's a 'try before you buy' program and if all I'm doing is trying, they may cut me off. (That said, I don't plan to abuse this.)

But enough overthink. I'm in. Member of the cool club. I'll wear my badge everywhere. Demand free seat upgrades. Seat myself as I please in the nicest restaurants. Hang out with celebrities. ;D

- A

I know it's different in-person when CPS is at major events and supporting Canon photographers, but the loaner program that is in question here limits you to demoing a piece of gear once per model for life, at least for Gold and below. So don't think that you're going to get free use of a 200-400 1.4x every year for you annual safari. ; )

I've never asked about letting me use the lens for more than the 10 day period, because most of the time that would not be long enough to take on a trip.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ethanz said:
I've never asked about letting me use the lens for more than the 10 day period, because most of the time that would not be long enough to take on a trip.

That's just about perfect for us, as we're both (relative) youngsters. We can only get away for one calendar week at a time between very demanding day jobs and annual family commitments.

My Japan trip is coming up too soon for me to use the eval service, but our next fun / big trip likely will give this a go.

And does it work for bodies, too? Would certainly give a 5D4 a go if I have some landscape opportunities crop up.

- A

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
ahsanford said:
ethanz said:

That's just about perfect for us, as we're both (relative) youngsters. We can only get away for one calendar week at a time between very demanding day jobs and annual family commitments.

My Japan trip is coming up too soon for me to use the eval service, but our next fun / big trip likely will give this a go.

And does it work for bodies, too? Would certainly give a 5D4 a go if I have some landscape opportunities crop up.

- A

Yes, they have their nicer bodies on the eval list.

Remember, the 10 days is split up: 2 days for shipping to you, around 6 days for you to use, and 2 days to ship back to them (or 3 or 1 depending on what you choose for shipping and you subtract or add to the days you get to use).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sweet action. I'm legit now.

After I get back from my trip, what's the first thing I should try out? The eval list looks fairly comprehensive but I do see the latest stuff (85 f/1.4L IS and the recent T/S lenses) isn't on it yet. Also, no speedlites other than macro, which is fine for this available light shooter.

Leaning towards my personal sweet spot of 24-50mm, perhaps the 24-70 f/2.8L II or the much raved about 35L II.

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 7.44.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 7.44.24 AM.png
    51 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

After I get back from my trip, what's the first thing I should try out? The eval list looks fairly comprehensive but I do see the latest stuff (85 f/1.4L IS and the recent T/S lenses) isn't on it yet. Also, no speedlites other than macro, which is fine for this available light shooter.

Leaning towards my personal sweet spot of 24-50mm, perhaps the 24-70 f/2.8L II or the much raved about 35L II.

- A

If you try the 24-70 f/2.8L II and the 35L II, they'll end up in your shopping cart soon, and you'll fall right into Canon's trap. ;D

Those are fine lenses to start with. As you try out more lenses, you'll get a feel for what you want to try out next. I would definitely be interested in trying out the new TS-Es when they are available.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Random Orbits said:
ahsanford said:

- A

If you try the 24-70 f/2.8L II and the 35L II, they'll end up in your shopping cart soon, and you'll fall right into Canon's trap. ;D

Those are fine lenses to start with. As you try out more lenses, you'll get a feel for what you want to try out next. I would definitely be interested in trying out the new TS-Es when they are available.

I just tried out the 35 in January (it wasn't on the list but I asked them about it and got it, maybe its on the list now. Try asking for the 85...) and I did not end up buying it. Was very tempted, but I took some beano before.

Upvote 0