C'mon Aussies

O

Oliver

Holla!

I've been reading these boards for ages, (have the habit as well of refreshing the frontpage atleast once a day, I've gotten that bad) and it only hit me today, if you guys are looking to meet up/meet other photographers you should come along to The Camera Club (www.thecameraclub.com.au) in Sydney's Bondi.

We have a facebook page where you can also get in contact with me and our other members here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146152152074581

We're starting to get some recognition have had various people approach us asking for help building there portfolio etc, and well... To be honest, most of us who run the place have a bit of bias towards Canon (I think most of the boys on the team have 5D mkII's), so Canon's pretty well represented.

Anyway

I use a 7D and mainly shoot band stuff, so no flash (though I have a 580EX II for when I need it) I'm all primes (28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.2 L II), I grew up on medium format without zoom, and it's a habit I haven't kicked because I like my low f/. At the moment I'm trying hard to work without something a bit wider (aka. saving up for a 16-35 L II).

Look forward to hearing from you!

Oli

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
count me in on all the rest of the aussies (although i've been living in europe for the last few years) going back to adelaide in a month and taking my 7d with me (already regretting it, there's no public transport to anywhere worthwhile, i'll be on my bike up to the hills to take my bird photos).

maybe there's not many aussies here cos of the prices?
When i bought my 7d, i got the 15-85, 70-300 non-L, 2 UV filters and 8gb 60mb/s cf in europe, all for the same price as the 7d+15-85 back in aus...
(i heard something about canon australia slashing prices to combat grey imports a few months ago, i wonder why?)

Upvote 0
D

Dymonds

Daily addiction for me too. Was referred to CR as a guide for upcoming gear (hanging for the new 5DMkIII as well) but it has proven to be much much more. Posted a couple of blogs seeking info and the response has been tremendous. Can't beat 1st hand experience and advice. Particularly when you’re starting out (I have learned to take advice from salespeople with a grain of salt. Especially when it is evident they are a Nikon user).

PS stickers from err 'sunny' Melbourne (the only city in the land of OZ that can have 4 seasons in one day). Think you need to take your sunnies off and spend some time in Queensland "Beautiful one day PERFECT the next. ;D

Upvote 0
CR has become part of my daily routine too. I've notice that on some day I check the front page several times, waiting for more news on the 5D III. I have a 5D II, 24-105mm, 50mm 1.4, 20mm 2.8 & a 70-200mm 2.8 bought second hand. Trying to decide between 16-35 II & 100mm 2.8 macro ...

Mostly into landscapes and am doing a few stitched panoramas using the 20mm on a Nodal Ninja 3 pano head.

Built my website in spare time, it's just a hobby - www.robpackerphotography.com

Am enjoying living in the beautiful Scenic Rim of SE Qld - panoramas, mountains & waterfalls all close by.

Upvote 0
S

steveb

Hi guys,
Just discovered this site, I'm from Nth Qld.
I've had a 400D for a couple of years now and thinking of upgrading to a 60D later this year. From what I've seen on the net they are getting good reviews, any thoughts and /or advice would be welcome. If I can scrape up enough cash I might consider the 15-85 EFS lens as well, currently using the Canon EFS 18-135 as my main walk-around lens.
Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,
I have been checking each day as well.. eagerly awaiting the 5D3... I love my 7D so am hanging to have all of it's cool things in a full frame body.

I run a Realestate Photography business here in Melbourne. a cropped camera is find for 99% of my work, but am moving into more interior design & Archi work so a 1:1 camera is a must. I have slowly been collecting L series lenses along the way so will be ready for the 5D3 arival.

here is my Flickr stream if anyone is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15873758@N05/

Cheers.. Jock

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011
PaulTopol said:
I see that the prices around the world have risen to meet those we pay here in Aussie. Call it equalising..level playing field?

tell me about it.
when i bought my kit, i checked the prices online at Teds, and could afford a 7D and 15-85.
for the same price in The Netherlands i got the 7D, 15-85, 70-300nonL, 58+72mm UV filters and 8GB 60MB/s CF card, and a free National Geographic hardcover photography book. Was annoyed the damn dutch customs wouldn't give me duty-free, but it was already cheap enough.

after a few months, i added up the 70-300nonL, UV Filter and Lowepro 2S case, came to AU$650. I sold it to my sister for $500. Saw it the next day, lens only, second hand for $750. ouch.

Just got the 70-300L and B+W MRC filter, ended up paying about AU$1500 for it after duty free. can't even get that in Hong Kong...

Upvote 0
C

ChuckBrix

Hello all you Aussies, I live in the North of England but my son has been in Melbourne since January 2004. Has a place just over the way from the MCG.

What a brilliant place Melbourne is, I was out one night at 12.15am photographing the illuminated on street flower stalls, young guys just went past saying have a good time, no bother at all. Be a bit risky here in UK.

Sydney is great, the Harbour area is like being in a Hollywood film. Did the Harbour Bridge climb, one of the best days of my life.

The Great Ocean Road is a Wow. I cannot wait to be able to come back to Oz.

Keep watching Canon Rumors, its a great site, I check it virtually every day. All the best to you folks.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Jun 1, 2011
ChuckBrix said:
What a brilliant place Melbourne is, I was out one night at 12.15am photographing the illuminated on street flower stalls, young guys just went past saying have a good time, no bother at all. Be a bit risky here in UK.

whereas in London, I had no qualms about taking night photos around the city, there's so many tourists and people and cops that noone would think to rob you.

and my last experience of Melbourne a few years ago was walking home from a party along a main road, to have cars drive past throwing eggs. Harmless enough, you'd think, but it left a nice bruise on my calf, could be blind if it hit my face.

Personal safety's always going to be iffy in any part of the world these days unfortunately, thankfully the only time i've ever been attacked i didn't have my camera gear, only dance shoes walking home from salsa lessons, in The Hague where i used to live. (and i've been backpacking through china, russia, almost every eastern europe country with no problem, go figure)

Upvote 0
P

Peter Hill

I'm the latest Aussie to start contributing. I'm from Sydney and you can find me at http://www.redbubble.com/people/peterh111. My weapons of choice are the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, the awesome Canon EOS-3, and a Canon EOS 10D converted to IR. My lenses are an addiction: 24mm Tilt+Shift, 45mm Tilt+Shift, EF 16-35mm f2.8L, EF 24-70mm f2.8, EF 100mm f2.8L IS, EF 70-300mm DO IS, Lensbaby Muse, Sigma 50mm f1.2, Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f2.8, Voigtlander 40mm f2.

Upvote 0