Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Fixed aperture is not the same as fixed maximum aperture. As to whether Dantana is right about the OP being a typo, only the OP'er can say. But the discussion is about consumer lenses and a mirror lens fits both the OP and the thread, which is a hell of a lot better than most of the posts here.
I'm working with the wording as written. Theorize about something Canon would obviously never do all you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
But remember that you can't mount a RF lens on a conventional camera, and all RF cameras have all the magic corrections. That means you can make a 14mm that gives undistorted results for far less than before. If Nikon can sell the outstanding Z14-30 f4 for $1096, a sharp 14mm prime should be doable for $999. I'm just thrilled to have gotten the 11-24 used for a good price.

Magic corrections?

AFAIK, the only difference between EF & RF lenses, in this regard, is RF cameras can display corrected images in EVF, which EF cameras can't do with OVF. Otherwise, EF cameras apply in-camera lens correction as well, so JPEGs come out corrected as well.

If you're processing raw images, it boils down to Canon's lens design choices. OK, I would admit its magical that the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L mkIII's corners having only 5 stops of vignetting, proving one never needs to lift an image 6 stops, but that's a different story.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 is a constant aperture, non-L zoom. It would be nice if they have a constant aperture ultra-wide zoom, but I would really want a fast wide-angle pancake prime.
Quality-wise my EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 was one of my very few disappointments with Canon lenses: a dust-pump with mediocre optical quality, e.g. huge color fringing. If Canon would come up with an f/2.8 version for the crop M mount, they really would need to improve its design.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
My biggest wish is to see Canon roll out F4 versions of their RF zoom line up. A 15-35 F4, a 70-200 F4 and a 24-70 F4 (i know there's a 24-105 F4, but still).

I truly love my EOS R with the 15-35 F2.8 but i think that a line of F4 zooms would push more people towards going for maybe the EOS RP instead of a for example 6D Mark II.

Canon probably makes more profit selling a 6D Mark II than they do selling an RP...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It's a common term used for hundreds of lenses, both prime and zoom. Both professional and consumer. I'm not following your logic here. Why you are linking it your mind with those mirrored lenses is beyond me.

"Constant aperture" is the far more common term for what you are meaning when you say "fixed aperture", which generally does mean "fixed aperture" that only offer a single aperture setting.

Upvote 0