Coronavirus and Canon production

Mar 25, 2011
I'm in Seattle... Currently things are calm, other than jerks buying racks of cleaning stuff to sell online, but we're all waiting for the other shoe to drop.
We are from Seattle, and my wife was there yesterday. People are hoarding and not just to sell online. Its happening around the world, in fact. So far, its not like you can't get needed food, but we can see what fear does by looking at severely affected countries. They are forced to stay in their homes, and minimal groceries are delivered. Lots of people want to have the ability to go for weeks and months without leaving home, and stores can not do that if everyone panics.

At our local Costco here in Spokane, things like toilet paper, peanut butter, bottled water, crackers, cleaning wipes were almost gone by noon. Fear is a powerful thing, even if its irrational.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What a tragedy for us. My condolences for us. Truly, the saddest part of this plague is not the untimely loss of loved ones, breadwinners who will leave starving children behind, and the like. The real pain is borne by wealthy people like you and me, who are likely to suffer delays in our acquisitions of luxury goods.
I am glad to meet another human being who gets the point. People tend not to care as long as something doesn't kill somebody they love. That's sad. Maybe it has always been this way, but compassion seems to be in very short supply and selfishness seems to reign supreme.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
We are from Seattle, and my wife was there yesterday. People are hoarding and not just to sell online. Its happening around the world, in fact. So far, its not like you can't get needed food, but we can see what fear does by looking at severely affected countries. They are forced to stay in their homes, and minimal groceries are delivered. Lots of people want to have the ability to go for weeks and months without leaving home, and stores can not do that if everyone panics.

At our local Costco here in Spokane, things like toilet paper, peanut butter, bottled water, crackers, cleaning wipes were almost gone by noon. Fear is a powerful thing, even if its irrational.

Yeah... We're definitely seeing the same thing here, but for the most part, other than people stocking up, it's just kind of eerily quiet.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I think it's funny how hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol and face masks are the things selling out, but soap is still in stock everywhere. The thing that is most effective in combating the virus. Good old soap and water.
Yeah.... does not make sense!

i have been stocking up camping food for the summer. I make huge pots of things like chilli or spaghetti sauce, freeze half, and the rest through the food dehydrator..... just like I have done for the last 40 springs.... no hoarding here, as a canoe tripper it is normal to prepare at least a months food in advance.

if are normally stocked for at least a month, then you are well prepared for whatever may come, so if something drastic happens, you do not have to be one of the panicky people.... you can stay home and leave the dwindling supplies to those who are less prepared

.0760744E-6912-49F8-A2B8-ECB87440A328.jpegA37DAF5E-BEC5-4560-A4C7-E382650789EF.jpegE2C4BA1C-1DEF-49A5-A9F1-BBB33A710136.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
around here, the only hoarding (so far) seems to be hand sanitizer and face masks.

the shelves seem to be full at the local stores.....

that said, I think I will stock up some emergency supplies on the way home tonight, no beer left! I think I will pick up a case of Corona :)
I was reading an article about Corona. There had been an expectation sales of Corona would be hit due to its name but its been the opposite.
Corona sales have been up 5% since the virus hit.;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I was reading an article about Corona. There had been an expectation sales of Corona would be hit due to its name but its been the opposite.
Corona sales have been up 5% since the virus hit.;)
Just the opposite of what happened to Ayds diet candy in the early 1980's. They went out of business.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
A recent study shows that case fatality rate from Covid-19 is less than 1%. They compare it to a severe influenza.
To be fair, it's tough to know until we're deeper into the epidemic. Still, there's a huge difference between <1% and .02%. In a population of one million people, that's a difference of about 8,000 people, or about 8 million people in a population of a billion if my math is correct.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
A recent study shows that case fatality rate from Covid-19 is less than 1%. They compare it to a severe influenza.

From that study:

"If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%."

Everything anyone concludes at this point is based on big assumptions because we just don't have reliable data to go on at this early stage of things. A year or two from now we will be able to look back on this and know, but for now, we don't. Even a fancy study doesn't. So the only answer is to use the utmost of caution.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

Well since we're way off topic, that's an editorial article (albeit in the NEJM) not a study, and there are quite a few qualifiers in there "If one assumes" "it may be". The reality is the denominator (total cases) is not known, and the two largest countries involved both have political realities that call in to question numbers being reported.

As a point of comparison, WHO is currently saying a mortality of 3.4% in reported cases. Again we do not know the true number of cases, so it's impossible to say with certainty that this is no worse than a serious flu. And keep in mind, a "serious flu" infected 27% of the world population in 1919, killing 40 million. Cold comfort.

(no pun intended)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

*maybe especially if it's irrational? Hmm.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Canonavirus. I have had it for years and it has killed me many times. No antidote. Not even Liecavirus.
It certainly has been fatal for my bank account...
What about all of those who have large car collections.
They have Car Owner Virus.
I bet you have a million of 'em...

Upvote 0