Coronavirus and Canon production

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
UPDATE: Canon to close five plants for nearly two weeks this month.
Canon said on February 28 that it will suspend operations at its five offices in Kyushu, which produce cameras and related products, for about two weeks from March 2 to 13. The supply of parts from China may become unstable due to the effects of the new coronavirus. The operation date will be re-assigned to a different date within the year, but details will be finalized in the future. The company hopes to maintain production efficiency by operating when parts supply is stable.
The target is a total of five manufacturing subsidiaries in Oita, Miyazaki and Nagasaki. The company produces SLR cameras, interchangeable lenses, network cameras (surveillance cameras), etc. At the moment, no employees have been infected. [Via Nikkei]

I have been told that...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2017
Cologne is in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia where Corona is currently spreading more than anywhere in Germany. We have officially 180 infected people and 92 of those live in North Rhine-Westphalia. Photokina is at end of May and it seems the organisers' plan is to wait and see what happens til early or mid May. There has been talk about hot summer temperatures making it harder for the virus to spread but since we haven't had a summer with Corona we will have to see.

Germany's biggest fitness fair was scheduled for early April in Cologne but they moved it into the second half of 2020. My personal guess is that the Photokina organisers are working on the same plan before it's too late and they can't find another good date.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

frozengogo

EOS Rebel S
Feb 7, 2012
It is what it is. It just gives me more time to save up $$$$. When the R5 is finally shipped, wipe it down with a disinfectant. :p

You din't need to wipe it down, letting is sit for a week does the trick. Imagine, having your brand new R5 sitting in its box on the shelf just taunting you every time you walk by for a week. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The economic impact of the Corona virus is not only going to impact supply chains, but sales. People will not be traveling, I'd give the Olympics a 80% chance of being cancelled. Its already caused my orders from China to be put on hold. Truck drivers are going to stop all but essential hauling of food and medical supplies, its going to be horrible. I don't live near Seattle, but my son sent photos of a grocery store stripped of long term essentials, just empty shelves.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
NAB 2020 (April in Las Vegas) is currently still "ON" but more than one major vendor is expected to back out by end of this week.

And here's the first one:

Upvote 0
I live in Sydney Australia.
We also have travel bans from many countries now like the US has.
My wife and I have just come home from our favourite supermarket and there was no toilet paper, tissues or hand sanitisers in stock, where the shelves are usually bursting with this stuff.

In my personal opinion, I think people are overreacting to this disease, but we do have to be cautious, but not allow it to rule our lives.

Manufacturers will find other sources of supply so we may hang out for a few months but everything will settle down and return to normal.
This disease has affected China VERY hard. Their car sales are now down by 92%.
Last weekend, one of my brothers-in-law travelled to India via Hong Kong and he sent me a photo from inside Hong Kong's airport. There wasn't one person in the photo.
The big loosers are the airlines and tourist industries.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0