Coronavirus and Canon production

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Aren't touchscreens especially germ ridden?
Yes. Our doctors' surgery has one for patients to register themselves as they enter the waiting room. The sanitiser gel dispenser was around the corner over a radiator so it was dried out even if you could find it. I would use the middle knuckle of my left hand, but I wouldn't evendo that now. Maybe I'm paranoid, but at least I am still here.

Upvote 0
Yes. Our doctors' surgery has one for patients to register themselves as they enter the waiting room. The sanitiser gel dispenser was around the corner over a radiator so it was dried out even if you could find it. I would use the middle knuckle of my left hand, but I wouldn't evendo that now. Maybe I'm paranoid, but at least I am still here.
Yes and most of people have one in their pocket , after we wash our hands we get a phone call or text and we are back to square one. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Well, it was invented here here in the Americas by the Azteks and Incas. High in protein. Stores a long time.

What? We were taught in school that peanut butter was invented by George Washington Carver so that cotton farmers would rotate their crops to replenish the soil and prevent the spread of the boll weevil?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And your teachers would be wrong: https://www.nationalpeanutboard.org/peanut-info/who-invented-peanut-butter.htm Rotating the crops? Perhaps. Inventing peanut butter? Long before Carver's time. Centuries. The Aztec empire fell in August of 1531.

The Aztecs did not invent peanut butter. They grew and used peanuts. What they made by grinding it up would not be recognizable to us today as peanut butter, which also contains sugars from honey, molasses, sugar cane, or corn syrup, salt, and additional oils beyond the oil extracted from the peanuts.

It is true that GWC did not invent peanut butter. It was a late 19th century creation, apparently from a Canadian chemist named Marcellus Gilmore Edson.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The Aztecs did not invent peanut butter. They grew and used peanuts. What they made by grinding it up would not be recognizable to us today as peanut butter, which also contains sugars from honey, molasses, sugar cane, or corn syrup, salt, and additional oils beyond the oil extracted from the peanuts.

It is true that GWC did not invent peanut butter. It was a late 19th century creation, apparently from a Canadian chemist named Marcellus Gilmore Edson.
And the national peanut board disagrees with you. Since you have absolutely no idea what the Aztec formula for peanut butter entailed, I'll side with the experts, not a camera rumor board hack chemist. My jar of Jiff says: Roasted peanuts and sugar with less that 2% of molasses, hydrogenated oils, soybean, salt, and mono and diglycerides. NONE of those less than 2% ingredients is needed to make peanut butter. It just takes peanuts. Since I used to work in the Jiff factory Jackson, Tennessee) when it was owned by P&G (pre-Smuckers), I know what I am talking about. Peanuts contain their own oils and have no need to have the cheaper oils added. The more valuable peanut oil is mostly extracted and replaced with cheap substitutes. So yes, the Aztecs and Inca invented peanut butter, not George Washington Carver nor your more recent claim of Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who mearly patented the product. He did NOT invent it... huge difference.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And the national peanut board disagrees with you. Since you have absolutely no idea what the Aztec formula for peanut butter entailed, I'll side with the experts, not a camera rumor board hack chemist. My jar of Jiff says: Roasted peanuts and sugar with less that 2% of molasses, hydrogenated oils, soybean, salt, and mono and diglycerides. NONE of those less than 2% ingredients is needed to make peanut butter. It just takes peanuts. Since I used to work in the Jiff factory Jackson, Tennessee) when it was owned by P&G (pre-Smuckers), I know what I am talking about. Peanuts contain their own oils and have no need to have the cheaper oils added. The more valuable peanut oil is mostly extracted and replaced with cheap substitutes. So yes, the Aztecs and Inca invented peanut butter, not George Washington Carver nor your more recent claim of Marcellus Gilmore Edson, who mearly patented the product. He did NOT invent it... huge difference.

I used to live in "The Peanut Capitol of the World", Dothan, AL, home of the National Peanut Festival and where the Alabama Peanut Producers Association has been doing business since 1956. They were the second such state based association. I still know folks who grow peanuts in the area. Those johnny-come-latelys in Atlanta (the national peanut board) were created by the Department of Agriculture in 2000.

Marcellus Gilmore Edson (February 7, 1849 – March 6, 1940) was issued United States patent 306727 (for peanut butter) in 1884, 116 years before The National Peanut Board was created.

PS, Skippy is better than JIF! It seems like if you worked for them you'd know Jif only has one "f".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I used to live in "The Peanut Capitol of the World", Dothan, AL, home of the National Peanut Festival and where the Alabama Peanut Producers Association has been doing business since 1956. They were the second such state based association. I still know folks who grow peanuts in the area. Those johnny-come-latelys in Atlanta (the national peanut board) were created by the Department of Agriculture in 2000.

Marcellus Gilmore Edson (February 7, 1849 – March 6, 1940) was issued United States patent 306727 (for peanut butter) in 1884, 116 years before The National Peanut Board was created.

PS, Skippy is better than JIF! It seems like if you worked for them you'd know Jif only has one "f".
Doesn't change the facts. Aztecs. You have a real history and aversion to ignoring facts. Now eat it. You have real problems, dude. You take a typo and conflate that into... nothing. You are wrong I am right. Now deal with it. Patent does not = invention. Breathlessly ignorant anal retentive. You should switch to Jif. Don't care who you know that grows peanuts. Patents are frequently issued to people who DID NOT invent the product. Duh. Don't be so thick. Then again, you are welcome to keep making a complete fool of yourself.

BTW: Edson patented a process. He did not invent or patent peanut butter. Period. End of story. One more think: Edson used his process to create candy... not peanut butter as a final product. That crown goes to Kellogg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's always hilarious to me that the only thing George Washington Carver is known (inventing peanut butter) for is not a thing he actually did.
Well, he actually accomplished a whole lot, he just never invented peanut butter. He was a great man.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0