Correction: Canon is bringing us an RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

Tell me what? Google iPhone X/11 Pro specs.

You guys are living in the past if you think smartphones aren't a threat to cameras. Canon and Sony certainly believe they are.

Are you using your phone to shoot a wedding? Perhaps a sporting event? If so, I pity your customers. Now if you're just taking pictures of your kids, sure, that cell camera is awesomesauce.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
...Now if you're just taking pictures of your kids, sure, that cell camera is awesomesauce.
Or if you want to win an Oscar for a motion picture shot mostly on an iPhone (Searching for Sugar Man). Or make photos like these or like these. To paraphrase TMACIOSZEK, you're living in the past if you think that the iPhone camera is suitable only for snapshots of the kids.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Macro lenses always bit dimmer,maybe compromises for quality or focus breath
Yeah, though with only .4x macro at 105mm, Im not sure you can excuse f/7.1 in any way.

The 24-105 STM did .3x while being f/3.5-5.6 and only maybe 25% heavier; which presumably could have been shaved a little just because of RF (the RF 24-105 f/4 shaved ~10% off its EF counterpart). I guess I'm just not seeing any way to explain this lens other than "it'll cost $199 max"

Upvote 0

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
Are you using your phone to shoot a wedding? Perhaps a sporting event? If so, I pity your customers. Now if you're just taking pictures of your kids, sure, that cell camera is awesomesauce.
I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about the potential customer base for this lens.

It just doesn't seem logical for Canon. They saw complaints online "there are no affordable lenses for RF!" so they went "Okay, here we go $300 24-105 f7.1!" Nobody is going to want it. It seems like an ill-advised reactionary move that I would expect more from Sony than Canon. A 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 for $300 would've made much more sense.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Or if you want to win an Oscar for a motion picture shot mostly on an iPhone (Searching for Sugar Man). Or make photos like these or like these. To paraphrase TMACIOSZEK, you're living in the past if you think that the iPhone camera is suitable only for snapshots of the kids.
There's a massive difference between "mostly shot" and "a few pickup shoots"...you'd make a stronger argument running with something like Tangerine which was shot entirely on an iPhone

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
As far as exposure is concerned f2.8 on an APS-C lens is the same as f2.8 on a FF lens and 4.0 on a FF lens is the same as 4.0 on an aps-c lens. So, for exposure, f7.1 on the 24-105 will be 2/3 of a stop slower than F5.6 on an aps-c.

Thank you. I was about to write the same thing.

When referring to one lens being "faster" than another, there is no "equivalent" aperture that is calculated for a Full Frame vs APS-C. The aperture is the aperture. F7.1 is always slower than F5.6 regardless of the sensor size. By "slower" I'm of course referring only to the shutter speed needed for the exposure. We don't "multiply" an APS-C aperture by 1.6x to get a full-frame equivalent. It's the same. F5.6 on APS-C is not, as far as exposure and the lens being "fast", equivalent to F8.96 on Full-Frame.

From a Depth of Field perspective, yes, there is a difference between F7.1 on APS-C vs Full-Frame, but since 90% of the comments related to this seem to be dealing with shutter speed, exposure, dimness, and ISO (not DoF), it's important to make the point.

All that said, I have no problem with an F7.1 lens if the benefit is size and weight. I personally shoot at F8 or narrower a good deal of the time. My guess is that Canon feels the better high ISO noise performance and image stabilization of these cameras and lenses both help significantly negate any downsides of the narrower aperture. For someone looking specifically for narrow DoF, this is probably not your lens. But for most uses, by using a little higher ISO and / or IS it's likely a great addition.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Well you should certainly sell all your digital camera equipment and just use your cell phone. Good luck with that.

Upvote 0
I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about the potential customer base for this lens.

It just doesn't seem logical for Canon. They saw complaints online "there are no affordable lenses for RF!" so they went "Okay, here we go $300 24-105 f7.1!" Nobody is going to want it. It seems like an ill-advised reactionary move that I would expect more from Sony than Canon. A 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 for $300 would've made much more sense.

They are just putting out cheap lenses for the "starter" shooter. Anyone that buys this lens for general shooting will soon grow frustrated with it's lack of usefulness and start looking to upgrade.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tell me what? Google iPhone X/11 Pro specs.

You guys are living in the past if you think smartphones aren't a threat to cameras. Canon and Sony certainly believe they are.

Cell phones take lovely pictures. They absolutely are a threat to general consumer-grade dedicated cameras, sure.

But even an aging 5D2 with a nifty fifty would mop the floor with a modern cell phone as far as stills go.

That 'quick' f/1.8 or f/2 cell phone lens you referenced scales to something horrific in FF terms, like f/10 or narrower for DOF equivalence. Such an instrument is (effectively) always shooting stopped down compared to the FF shooting experience. In comparison, even this thread's 'embarrassment' of an f/7.1 lens on an RF mount body would give better subject isolation than your cell phone, focus faster, will work far better in low light, it will be more responsive, etc.

Cell phones are great, but they simply can't do all the things the larger sensored platforms can (other than go more places with you).

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0