CPS loaner process -- enthusiasts welcome (...sort of)

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I recently joined CPS on the back of (a) a newly Canon facility in close driving distance that takes walk-in service/repair requests and (b) the loaner/evaluation program.

The first trip in to get my 5D3 serviced was A-OK and straightforward, but I had a weird wrinkle when I approached the loaner folks for my first lens to eval. Despite the 'enthusiasts are welcome' back and forth I went through before (see link above), the loaner folks (at a different site, it's based out of New Jersey, I believe) just asked me to verify my professional status before initiating the loan.

I caught them up on my back and forth with the CPS membership folks and forwarded on their prior CPS membership reply to me. I was told by the loaner folks that this is not the case, and that CPS 'must be a pro' terms are quite specific:

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The agent who sent you this response is incorrect, the Terms and Conditions of the membership state the full requirements (please see attachment below) I am sorry for the confusion and will see that all of our agents are up to speed on our qualifications.

That being said, even though you technically do not qualify for CPS at this time I do see you own an ample amount of Canon gear. I am willing to approve the membership due to your loyalty to the Canon brand and also your honesty was very much appreciated."

...and the 200 f/2L IS I requested is now on its way. I must say that I'm a little ruffled by the inconsistent messaging here. They took my money, after all -- even after being told up front about not being a pro.

I'll see if future loans are not approved or if re-upping my membership is not allowed next year. But has anyone else gotten any stick from CPS for being an enthusiast?

- A

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ahsanford said:
I recently joined CPS on the back of (a) a newly Canon facility in close driving distance that takes walk-in service/repair requests and (b) the loaner/evaluation program.

The first trip in to get my 5D3 serviced was A-OK and straightforward, but I had a weird wrinkle when I approached the loaner folks for my first lens to eval. Despite the 'enthusiasts are welcome' back and forth I went through before (see link above), the loaner folks (at a different site, it's based out of New Jersey, I believe) just asked me to verify my professional status before initiating the loan.

I caught them up on my back and forth with the CPS membership folks and forwarded on their prior CPS membership reply to me. I was told by the loaner folks that this is not the case, and that CPS 'must be a pro' terms are quite specific:

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The agent who sent you this response is incorrect, the Terms and Conditions of the membership state the full requirements (please see attachment below) I am sorry for the confusion and will see that all of our agents are up to speed on our qualifications.

That being said, even though you technically do not qualify for CPS at this time I do see you own an ample amount of Canon gear. I am willing to approve the membership due to your loyalty to the Canon brand and also your honesty was very much appreciated."

...and the 200 f/2L IS I requested is now on its way. I must say that I'm a little ruffled by the inconsistent messaging here. They took my money, after all -- even after being told up front about not being a pro.

I'll see if future loans are not approved or if re-upping my membership is not allowed next year. But has anyone else gotten any stick from CPS for being an enthusiast?

- A

I've always wanted to join, but have not because of the stipulation that one must be a pro with a business. I'm not in agreement with that policy because I had the points and will have more points in the future. I think the point system ought to be all that is required. I've sold off my seven 600EX-RT and transmitter, so maybe I wouldn't qualify now (haven't checked), but it would sure be good to try out the higher end lenses (read super telephoto) before purchasing without paying hundreds of dollars to rent. It would also be nice if the rental shops would apply rental fees towards a purchase of the rented lens if we want it. Say within 30 days of the rental?

It is all a little funny because there are many enthusiasts that have far more points than some of the pros. I think I had 81 points at one time, so I'm just as good a customer as some of the pros. Neuro probably has 150 points. :) He's one of my heroes.

Very happy to hear you will be getting the lens to try. I look forward to your report to us all, just as I did with your report on the new 85mm. :D Believe it or not, I think you are a swell guy and enjoy your banter... along with the review of the 85mm. I'm just a real prick sometimes.

Just checked, down to 46 points. Sold my 2X III also. Want a TSE for Christmas.

Out of curiosity, what did CPS want you to use to prove professional status? Business license? Website?

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
CanonFanBoy said:
I'm just a real prick sometimes.

Lol, way to be honest.

When I joined and asked for a loaner, they wanted to see some samples of pro work. So I directed them to my website for some clients I have done stuff for. That was it. Frank in the loaner department is very nice via email.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
It would also be nice if the rental shops would apply rental fees towards a purchase of the rented lens if we want it. Say within 30 days of the rental?

I believe this might be the droid you are looking for: https://www.lensrentals.com/keeper

(Love love love LR, and I'm honestly gutted that CPS' loaner program (will likely) all but end my business dealings with them.)

CanonFanBoy said:
Very happy to hear you will be getting the lens to try. I look forward to your report to us all, just as I did with your report on the new 85mm. :D Believe it or not, I think you are a swell guy and enjoy your banter... along with the review of the 85mm. I'm just a real prick sometimes.

Just checked, down to 46 points. Sold my 2X III also.

You're fine. Just stop making fun of me. ;)

I'm on 57 points. $100/year for 5 pieces of maintenance and loaners is perfect for me.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ethanz said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I'm just a real prick sometimes.

When I joined and asked for a loaner, they wanted to see some samples of pro work. So I directed them to my website for some clients I have done stuff for. That was it. Frank in the loaner department is very nice via email.

Yeah, I'm one of those principled fools who will argue the point*. They took my money and let me in the cool club, so they shouldn't ask me to stand in line again to have a drink once I'm already in there.

But don't get me wrong, I gave him my Flickr address. I'm not a jerk. ;D

- A

*The same attitude gets me in huge trouble online with political discussion. Being a fact driven, data driven individual, the current WH administration has everyone misreading my allegiances. The left sees my posts and thinks I'm an ally and sends me details on the next big rally, while the right sees me point out a red-faced clear-as-day lie and they hurl all kinds of bile my way... and I'm actually with neither side. (I think political parties are for candidates, not the electorate. Elect the best person, not 'your guy/gal'.) But this is wildly OT.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
ahsanford said:
CanonFanBoy said:
It would also be nice if the rental shops would apply rental fees towards a purchase of the rented lens if we want it. Say within 30 days of the rental?

I believe this might be the droid you are looking for: https://www.lensrentals.com/keeper

(Love love love LR, and I'm honestly gutted that CPS' loaner program (will likely) all but end my business dealings with them.)

CanonFanBoy said:

Just checked, down to 46 points. Sold my 2X III also.

You're fine. Just stop making fun of me. ;)

I'm on 57 points. $100/year for 5 pieces of maintenance and loaners is perfect for me.

- A

How can he not make fun of a whiner, non-apologist who doesn't like new paint jobs?

57 points is nice.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ethanz said:
57 points is nice.

If I'm honest, my 35 f/2 IS is a refurb and I don't think the system has the option to flag that. If you had a host of used items, I don't think there's any way Canon would know.

But I'm sure some long-timers here with a ton of gear (Eldar, Surapon -- I'm looking at you) have hundreds of points. It's not a contest or anything. I'm just glad CPS will service my stuff.

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Interesting. I wonder if this is some new policy or just a new employee who is following the rule book because he just got the job.

I haven't borrowed anything from CPS for a couple of years, mostly because I either talk myself into buying it or I can't make their unpredictable and short time frames work when I need a specialized piece of equipment. (I'd like to borrow a tilt-shift lens for some building shots, but I'm afraid that with my luck it would arrive when the weather is terrible and I wouldn't be able to use it before I had to return it).

But, when I have borrowed items in the past, there was never any question about my status.

Frankly, I've always felt the stated requirements (which I've never heard of being enforced before) are bizarre.

A Canon Professional Services membership is available to individuals (self-employed or employed with a professional imaging company) who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images on a full-time basis and meet the equipment ownership requirements.

What does that even mean? What is a professional imaging company? Is a newspaper or a magazine or an online publication a "professional imaging company?" That's not how I would describe them. What about someone like me, who works for a small college. I shoot 90% of their pictures, but it consumes less than half of my time. And, is a college a "professional imaging company?"

Probably the vast majority of professional photographers do not work for a "professional imaging company." Full time? There are millions of photographers shooting weddings, portraits, etc., that don't do it full time, but are certainly professional.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ahsanford said:
ethanz said:
57 points is nice.

If I'm honest, my 35 f/2 IS is a refurb and I don't think the system has the option to flag that. If you had a host of used items, I don't think there's any way Canon would know...

I have more than 150 points, it's not that hard to accumulate that many points if you just have a mild case of GAS. No doubt Neuro has closer to 300, having seen pictures of his lens collection.

Probably half of my equipment is refurbished. I've never had any problem registering them and getting full credit. Same with used equipment.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
PCM-madison said:
Can/Should I join CPS. I have 125 points. I mostly use my Canon gear as a hobby, but I am a professional scientist and some of the photos used in my professional publications use a Canon camera/lens. For those who are CPS members, what value do you get from your membership and what level do you recommend?

I went with Gold. $100 / year for 5 pieces to be looked at (not repairs, but cleaning/maintenance) plus access to loaners.

- A

Upvote 0
I've been Gold CPS for three years. I am not a full-time pro, but I do sell images to magazines, do some stock and have >100 points. CPS has been good to me, and - in retrospect - the loaners they've afforded me have caused me to spend something on the order of 20x what my CPS fees were over that time. I have no qualms in saying that I've been a good investment for them.

I answered the membership questionnaire honestly, and no one ever suggested that because I was not full-time I didn't belong. I think the definition is a bit fudgy, which allows them room to be reasonable.

It would be a real shame to lose access to CPS. The repair treatment is fantastic - one prime reason I wouldn't move to Sony, where I've had rather the opposite experience. I had a 2 year old 5D mark IV die on me two weeks ago. Sent it in on Saturday and had it back with a replaced board on Wednesday. And they decided rather arbitrarily not to charge me. But the loaners are the real reason I'm a member. I have learned a great deal shooting most of Canon's range of glass over these years, and it's allowed me to really know what I want to purchase - and to have a heck of a time using some amazing glass.

I was thinking that Sigma and Tamron should do something similar. I think loaners would go a long way to convert those people who think their cameras will be polluted if they fasten on a third party lens. Tamron recently started a points system, but only the highest level allows for loaners.

Upvote 0