CR Admin - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
meywd said:
As a software developer i ask this:

Use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Tor, or even program your own browser, but please stop using IE :'(

If I'm a "software developer", I would identify the bugs and improve or fix it.

My IE works fine on everything, except CR. I do home Chrome, however, I've been using IE since........ ::) I have lot of sites under favorite.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I USE IE for CR and have no jumping. I use a ad blocker which is likely why I see no issue.

I am also a Chrome and Mozilla user, and use the Browser that works best with each site. They all have problems with certain sites. I create shortcuts to frequently visited sites which use the browser that works best. I use Chrome for Fred Miranda, and Mozilla for my NAS control panels and my Router control panel. I just signed up for HBO GO, and, so far, Mozilla works, but Chrome plays it smoothly and is the best. IE does not like it at all.

Its mostly a function of the programmers, they seem to favor one browser, and tune their site for it. That's likely also a reflection of which authoring tools they use.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
meywd said:
As a software developer i ask this:

Use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Tor, or even program your own browser, but please stop using IE :'(

If I'm a "software developer", I would identify the bugs and improve or fix it.

My IE works fine on everything, except CR. I do home Chrome, however, I've been using IE since........ ::) I have lot of sites under favorite.

That's easier said than done, the problem with IE is that during most of it's lifetime it was outside the standards, other browsers tried to follow the standards while IE (Aka. Microsoft) made their own, which meant more work for developers, and with each new version of IE they fixed something and broke another, in recent versions (IE 10-11) they have done a better job at following the standards and so less work is needed, still for the past pains it caused the developer community we still hate it.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I USE IE for CR and have no jumping. I use a ad blocker which is likely why I see no issue.

I am also a Chrome and Mozilla user, and use the Browser that works best with each site. They all have problems with certain sites. I create shortcuts to frequently visited sites which use the browser that works best. I use Chrome for Fred Miranda, and Mozilla for my NAS control panels and my Router control panel. I just signed up for HBO GO, and, so far, Mozilla works, but Chrome plays it smoothly and is the best. IE does not like it at all.

Its mostly a function of the programmers, they seem to favor one browser, and tune their site for it. That's likely also a reflection of which authoring tools they use.

I follow the same approach, if a thing need ActiveX i use IE, else Firefox unless it has a problem then Chrome, the reason for favoring a browser - which only applies to IE - is that the majority of the internet population used only IE for a long period of time, which made it less worthy to care about other browsers, however with HTML 5 taking the stage that is changing, all browsers are trying their hardest to follow the standards, yes there are still tweaks targeted for IE, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari but there are frameworks that take care of that.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I am amazed there are three IE users left!
LOL and I'm still on Netscape - well sort of - I use Waterfox, which is Mozilla optimized for 64-bit OS. When I bumped up to 64Gb of RAM I started looking for 64-bit stuff and found it. I still use IE at work, however, and for OWA (Outlook Webmail).

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
...LOL and I'm still on Netscape ......
If you're missing Netscape, you might want to give SeaMonkey from Mozilla a try.
It's not 64 bit, so if that's a requirement, never mind.
I does include a browser, mail and news groups, Composer, an address book and an IRC chat client.
Lots of preference choices, it even looks a lot like Netscape.
I don't use it much, mostly for those websites that act cranky in other browsers.
According to this
http://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-your-browser-color-managed/
it does color management ok.

Upvote 0
tolusina said:
mackguyver said:
...LOL and I'm still on Netscape ......
If you're missing Netscape, you might want to give SeaMonkey from Mozilla a try.
It's not 64 bit, so if that's a requirement, never mind.
I does include a browser, mail and news groups, Composer, an address book and an IRC chat client.
Lots of preference choices, it even looks a lot like Netscape.
I don't use it much, mostly for those websites that act cranky in other browsers.
According to this
http://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-your-browser-color-managed/
it does color management ok.
Interesting, but I don't actually miss Netscape. It was pretty cool back in the day, though.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I remember the good old days when the internet was a bit experimental, and there was no world wide web, just Unix Commands. This was in the mid 1980's and, working for a defense company, we had access, I believe, thru DARPA. Gopher, the news groups, etc. When the WWW came along, it really took off. NCSA Mosaic, anyone? As I recall, it was in 1991 that I started switching to www.

Upvote 0

Not quite -- It's not that simple. its a function of the in-house software development standards under which those programmers can write code. It also needs the blessing of your Information Security Officer. Whatever software is being developed has to conform to the standard within a particular companies environment. I work in an IT shop where the standard browser is IE but the developers have to write their code to accommodate other browsers. It ain't easy as some have pointed out. Every web site is different. Some play nice with your browser Du jour; others don't. It's hit or miss because software development standards vary from company to company.

Maybe one day, software development companies can get on the same page and adopt an industry-wide standard for web browsers and other Internet-based technologies.

In the meantime, its pick your poison ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
lilmsmaggie said:

Not quite -- It's not that simple. its a function of the in-house software development standards under which those programmers can write code. It also needs the blessing of your Information Security Officer. Whatever software is being developed has to conform to the standard within a particular companies environment. I work in an IT shop where the standard browser is IE but the developers have to write their code to accommodate other browsers. It ain't easy as some have pointed out. Every web site is different. Some play nice with your browser Du jour; others don't. It's hit or miss because software development standards vary from company to company.

Maybe one day, software development companies can get on the same page and adopt an industry-wide standard for web browsers and other Internet-based technologies.

In the meantime, its pick your poison ;)

I don't think CR has a in-house software development standard or Security Information officer. The work is done for them by a small company. 99% of the web sites are one man or very small operations.

While its true that the big sites have a lot of staff, and a lot of internal rules, standards, etc, they usually play well with all my browsers. Its the smaller blogs where I see the variation.

I live out in the country where broadband internet is a joke, so I've been struggling with two slow services and a dual wan load balancer. This morning, I was able to get what was for me a big upgrade to my wireless internet provider, and am now seeing bursts of 30Mbps. Suddenly most of the issues with my browsers went away. The slow internet was apparently very telling as to the efficiency of the browsers. It also helped to reconfigure my router to a single wan.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

Improved, but still there. I'm now running on Chrome

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.