CR in Rwanda With The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Re: CR in Rwanda With The EOS-1D X Mark II

Will be making our third shoot in Botswana and South Africa next month. Canon 1D MKIV was my primary body on the last shoot in 2009 with 300 2.8 & 1.4X mounted, being the longest I could hand hold without a stick. This next shoot will involve the 1Dx and 1Dx MK II, with the 200-400 zoom, and 70-200II.

Best rule: Mount lenses to bodies before you leave, and NEVER take any lens off any body until you return home. Dust is everywhere when you are in the bush.

Nat'l Geographic published two of my images from 2009.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:
I feel like while these are astoundingly great images, they could have been better. Tony Northrup says the 1DX 2 is not the best wildlife camera and the 5DSR with its 50 MP and the 7D2 with its crop sensor can deliver just as good or better shots.

Still, though, wonderful pictures! Beautiful animals.
This is frankly nonsensical. As is a lot of what Tony Northrup produces. I've owned both. The 1DXii is so far ahead of the 7dii, it hardly warrants discussion. As it should be at the price. The 5DSR is not a wildlife camera, full stop. Try photographing a leopard on the move at night at 8000 iso with it.

Tony Northrup says I'll get better, sharper, and cleaner images if I shoot at high ISO and then just reduce the 5DSR image size down to 20 MP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzUXzasjc4Y

Upvote 0

R1-7D said:
I feel like while these are astoundingly great images, they could have been better. Tony Northrup says the 1DX 2 is not the best wildlife camera and the 5DSR with its 50 MP and the 7D2 with its crop sensor can deliver just as good or better shots.

Better? Are you serious? Comparing a 7D to a 1D is ridiculous. I have a 1Dx II and I have never seen better quality. Nothing in the Canon lineup comes even close. Get one for yourself before you compare and never rely on useless reviews.

Upvote 0

Did the gorillas in Rwanda last october, with 5DSR, 7D2 and 5D2, here's a little selection:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=18142910&size=lg

5DSR in these circumstances was just brilliant & produced images that are just out of this world. For me, there's no better body for the job. Paired it with 70-200 2.8 IS II most of the time. For gorillas, the crop 7D2 was great but too tight, better for distant elusive chimps & birds. The 5D2, while still producing good quality shots, just made me want to kill the guy who designed its AF. RIP, it died over there in the rain...

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

mistercactus said:
Did the gorillas in Rwanda last october, with 5DSR, 7D2 and 5D2, here's a little selection:

5DSR in these circumstances was just brilliant & produced images that are just out of this world. For me, there's no better body for the job. Paired it with 70-200 2.8 IS II most of the time. For gorillas, the crop 7D2 was great but too tight, better for distant elusive chimps & birds. The 5D2, while still producing good quality shots, just made me want to kill the guy who designed its AF. RIP, it died over there in the rain...

Excellent shots!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

YuengLinger said:
dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:

This is frankly nonsensical. As is a lot of what Tony Northrup produces. I've owned both. The 1DXii is so far ahead of the 7dii, it hardly warrants discussion. As it should be at the price. The 5DSR is not a wildlife camera, full stop. Try photographing a leopard on the move at night at 8000 iso with it.

+1!

Never overestimate the people who care what Tony Northrup says!

What's wrong with Tony Northrup? His latest test of the Nikon D5, 1DX2, 5DSR, and D500 is really objective and well-thought out. He does a great AF tracking test with his wife playing kick-ball. He raises some great points on how Nikon and Canon are just copying body designs off each other without innovating, and he also shows how pathetic these rear LCD touch screens are compared to his smartphone's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT14RrsDW18

He is pointing out flaws that consumers need to be aware of, and companies should be taking note of.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

mistercactus said:

Too bad you weren't familiar with your gear before such a great trip!

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014

mistercactus said:

Outstanding images! And I only viewed the first 10 or so. I'll have to come back and view the others later. But thanks for the link and sharing.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014

Love, love, love these shots! All are excellently composed, exposed, and posed... Question: were these 4 images all taken with the Tamron 85mm f1.8VC? Just curious...I did not right click the images to see if there was any EXIF data (lazy?). Thanks.

Can't wait to see some more.

And thanks for allowing us to be there with you vicariously through these wonderful images.

Upvote 0

mistercactus said:

Sorry to say and I don't mean disrespect... But those images can't even compare to Craig's. They look flat, over processed and there are a lot of flat highlights and lack of sharpness... Out of this world? Maybe out of this country... Nothing like the quality of the 1DX II... Again. Just my opinion as a viewer.

Upvote 0

dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:

I have the 7DII, I have the 5DSR and I have the 1DXII. Yes, the 1DXII is far ahead of the 7DII, which it should be, price etc. considered. In low light and for fast action, the 1DX/1DXII is also far ahead of the 5DSR. But to bluntly say that the 5DSR is not a wildlife camera is a clear sign of ignorance. It has less fps and need a bit more light, but when 5 frames/sec is enough and you have normal daylight, it is a fantastic birds and wildlife camera.

I have thousands of shots, of big, medium, small and tiny birds, lions, leopards, painted dogs, birds in flight, elephants, buffalo, waterbucks +++++ with the 5DSR. It is a far more capable camera than the non-users give it credit for. Up to ISO3200, provided you expose correctly, you get very good results. Up to ISO1600 you get great results and below ISO1000 you get spectacular results.
For an ISO8000 opportunity of a leopard I would clearly go for the 1DXII. But how often does that happen?

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

Eldar said:
dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:

I have the 7DII, I have the 5DSR and I have the 1DXII. Yes, the 1DXII is far ahead of the 7DII, which it should be, price etc. considered. In low light and for fast action, the 1DX/1DXII is also far ahead of the 5DSR. But to bluntly say that the 5DSR is not a wildlife camera is a clear sign of ignorance. It has less fps and need a bit more light, but when 5 frames/sec is enough and you have normal daylight, it is a fantastic birds and wildlife camera.

I have thousands of shots, of big, medium, small and tiny birds, lions, leopards, painted dogs, birds in flight, elephants, buffalo, waterbucks +++++ with the 5DSR. It is a far more capable camera than the non-users give it credit for. Up to ISO3200, provided you expose correctly, you get very good results. Up to ISO1600 you get great results and below ISO1000 you get spectacular results.
For an ISO8000 opportunity of a leopard I would clearly go for the 1DXII. But how often does that happen?

But according to Tony Northrup you should easily be able to push the ISO on the 5DSR and then reduce the image size to that of a 1DX2 image with better, cleaner, and sharper results!!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

R1-7D said:
Eldar said:
dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:

But according to Tony Northrup you should easily be able to push the ISO on the 5DSR and then reduce the image size to that of a 1DX2 image with better, cleaner, and sharper results!!

Cult following. Gospel according to TN.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

YuengLinger said:
R1-7D said:
Eldar said:
dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:

You're saying you can't push the ISO and reduce image size later to make a quality image?

Upvote 0

R1-7D said:
YuengLinger said:
R1-7D said:
Eldar said:
dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:

You're saying you can't push the ISO and reduce image size later to make a quality image?
You can push a 5DSR image beyond ISO3200. It is remarkably good also in less light than that, but it takes a bit more work in post processing. Having seen what it can deliver, I was surprised that Canon capped it as they did, considering the ridiculous ISO-settings you have on a 1DXII, not to mention a Nikon D5.

To exemplify, here is a snap of The Local Lion, at ISO6400. Only edit it is Highlight -25 and NR Luminance 30.

5DSR, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II

Attachments

• _23A0452.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 272
Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.

dslrdummy said:
R1-7D said:

+1 And I for 1 could careless what that guy has to say.

Upvote 0