Crazy CPS Point Values

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm sure there is a method to the madness, but the old ef 135mm f/2L is worth 8 points on Canon Pro Services, while the new rf 85mm f/1.2L is worth only 6 points. The ef 24-70mm f/2.8L II is still worth 12 points!

And get this, the "kit" lens rf 24-105mm f/4L IS is worth 8 points...More than the 85mm!

Now, to be sure, this doesn't affect my life in the slightest. I'm just curious.

Insights?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm sure there is a method to the madness, but the old ef 135mm f/2L is worth 8 points on Canon Pro Services, but the new rf 85mm f/1.2L is worth only 6 points. The ef 24-70mm f/2.8L II is still worth 12 points!

And get this, the "kit" lens rf 24-105mm f/4L IS is worth 8 points...More than the 85mm!

Now, to be sure, this doesn't affect my life in the slightest. I'm just curious.

Insights?
I checked a few months ago and the R and the 28-70 were not even listed while some ASP-C cameras were. It is strange.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Who knows? Who cares?

It may be that once a lens is assigned a value on the list, it keeps that value while new lenses get new values. That way, a person who qualified for gold or platinum status based on their existing equipment wouldn't have to worry about being "de-qualified" because the points assigned to their lenses have been downgraded. Camera bodies may be treated differently because Canon expects that professionals will upgrade their bodies more frequently than they replace lenses.

Personally, I've got so many points I don't worry about it. I suspect most people are in that boat as well, as even a mild case of GAS nets you enough points for platinum status.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Who knows? Who cares?

Personally, I've got so many points I don't worry about it. I suspect most people are in that boat as well, as even a mild case of GAS nets you enough points for platinum status.
;) That's why you don't care. Mild case of gas? In the last few months I've purchased over $8,000 worth of gear. Don't qualify anymore. Then again, all my old gear is still on the inventory list at Canon's website. Maybe nobody I sold to will register any to qualify for CPS. Maybe. I could always lie. Nope.

Canon's site was under maintenance today. Maybe it'll get fixed in the process.

EDit: The website is back up. R=5, 28-70=6, 85=6... 17 points. Silver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
;) That's why you don't care. Mild case of gas? In the last few months I've purchased over $8,000 worth of gear. Don't qualify anymore. Then again, all my old gear is still on the inventory list at Canon's website. Maybe nobody I sold to will register any to qualify for CPS. Maybe. I could always lie. Nope.

Canon's site was under maintenance today. Maybe it'll get fixed in the process.
It blows my mind that you could have $8,000 worth of Canon gear and not qualify, but I guess if you just have a few pieces of really expensive gear that could be the case. Me? I've accumulated a lot of less expensive gear because I'm a generalist -- shooting mostly sports, but also needing to shoot events and the occasional portrait. Between my speedlights with battery packs and three bodies, I'm over 50 points without any lenses.

I do notice that some new lenses don't seem to be worth as many points. My EF 24-105 gets 8 points while my RF is only worth 4. As I said previously, I think Canon keeps the older products at whatever point level they were at originally, and then adjusts new equipment to more conservative levels. Perhaps that's the trade-off for their more liberal definition (or rather non-enforcement) of the "professional" in Canon Professional Services.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The European CPS seems to be a lot more logical.
The points you get are based on the CURRENT pricing of lenses, accessories (battery-grips, speedlights) and bodies. There is no discrepancy between the value of the product and the amount of points you get.
I had even a 5D III registered for points corresponding to it's price when bought 5 or 6 years ago...
By the way, 5 D III is 235 points, 5 D IV is 290 points, EF TSE 24 II is 160 points.
To access platinum ranking, one needs 1600 points.
PS: in Europe, membership is free!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Coincidentally, I've just been reminded of the value of the program.

Saturday, I was shooting women's basketball when the camera quit focusing. It had been working fine in the morning at a wrestling meet. Checked the AF switch on the lens, shut the camera off, turned it back on, finally took off the lens and noticed the mirror was all out of whack. Had to shoot the rest of the game with the 5D IV (which worked surprisingly well, but certainly not ideal).

Since this is the height of the sports season I bit the bullet and upgraded to Platinum (been meaning to do it anyway). I figure I will recoup almost all of the cost simply in not having to pay shipping charges over the next year.

Called Canon on Sunday and got a pre-printed FedEx label emailed. Took it to the local FedEx. Unfortunately, in my city they don't ship out Sunday night, so it went out overnight on Monday. Got an email today (Tuesday morning) from Canon, it's done and on its way home. Since I had the shutter replaced in June, they said it was under warranty, so no charge.

Should be back in my hands for games on Saturday. This is why I don't even look at other brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It blows my mind that you could have $8,000 worth of Canon gear and not qualify, but I guess if you just have a few pieces of really expensive gear that could be the case. Me? I've accumulated a lot of less expensive gear because I'm a generalist -- shooting mostly sports, but also needing to shoot events and the occasional portrait. Between my speedlights with battery packs and three bodies, I'm over 50 points without any lenses.

I do notice that some new lenses don't seem to be worth as many points. My EF 24-105 gets 8 points while my RF is only worth 4. As I said previously, I think Canon keeps the older products at whatever point level they were at originally, and then adjusts new equipment to more conservative levels. Perhaps that's the trade-off for their more liberal definition (or rather non-enforcement) of the "professional" in Canon Professional Services.
With my EF gear I had way over 100 points. None of this makes sense... except that it may be a cost cutting measure. That makes sense.

• Sad
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Called Canon on Sunday and got a pre-printed FedEx label emailed. Took it to the local FedEx. Unfortunately, in my city they don't ship out Sunday night, so it went out overnight on Monday. Got an email today (Tuesday morning) from Canon, it's done and on its way home. Since I had the shutter replaced in June, they said it was under warranty, so no charge.

Should be back in my hands for games on Saturday. This is why I don't even look at other brands.
This! And good for you, that it worked so well.
But I could second this here in Germany with CPS Europe. They deliver the same speed and quality here.

Let's see how long it takes for Sony to catch up or even surpass - if ever.
I suppose they to lose interest in this business before they even get there.
But maybe they can prove me wrong ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
This! And good for you, that it worked so well.
But I could second this here in Germany with CPS Europe. They deliver the same speed and quality here.

Let's see how long it takes for Sony to catch up or even surpass - if ever.
I suppose they to lose interest in this business before they even get there.
But maybe they can prove me wrong ;)
I got my 5 D III back after 3 days...repaired, of course.
And well repaired!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon's point system has never made much sense. My 5D MK III and 5D MK IV are 7 points, my EOS R is 5 points.

I still have 73 points.
It seems lenses get more love, but the new lenses don't. Oh well, it's their call. I just need to buy more. ;)

Upvote 0
In Europe at least, there's more going on than just 'points for cost'. As an example, my 300 f/2.8 gets me over 500 points (you need 1600 for platinum, in th UK at least), but my 500 f/4 only gets me 80 points. The difference? Not age, and not value, both are mkII versions, but I purchased the 500 f/4 as an emergency replacement while on a shoot in the USA - so consequently it has a serial number that must somehow be tied to the US. As a result, it 'earns' me a lot fewer points in the new system.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
In Europe at least, there's more going on than just 'points for cost'. As an example, my 300 f/2.8 gets me over 500 points (you need 1600 for platinum, in th UK at least), but my 500 f/4 only gets me 80 points. The difference? Not age, and not value, both are mkII versions, but I purchased the 500 f/4 as an emergency replacement while on a shoot in the USA - so consequently it has a serial number that must somehow be tied to the US. As a result, it 'earns' me a lot fewer points in the new system.
This must be the reason you got only 80 points, while I got 75 points for the far far cheaper 100 mm f.2,8 IS Macro.
It's kind of strange there are different CPS ratings depending on where you buy...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This must be the reason you got only 80 points, while I got 75 points for the far far cheaper 100 mm f.2,8 IS Macro.
It's kind of strange there are different CPS ratings depending on where you buy...:rolleyes:
Yeah - who knows? (Well, I guess someone at CPS does, but.....)
Thankfully, makes no difference for me, so I haven;t bothered to query it.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Apparently the European and US point systems differ tremendously...US points seem to be "bigger." You get fewer of them, and need fewer to qualify for different levels.

That 100mm f/2.8 macro is a 2 point lens in the US, versus 75 over there. (The L version is 8 points.) Silver, gold and platinum are 10, 20 and 50 points respectively. the 100-400 L is worth 12 points by itself here. The really big primes (600mm, 800mm) are 18 pointers.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
As mentioned before, European CPS membership is free with enough points, this changed recently from being free if you own 2 (or more) qualifying bodies and 3 (or more) qualifying lenses.

Some crazy European points on gear I own with the exception of * which are for comparison with the EF 600MM F/4L IS USM which I do own.
I have 1100 points giving me gold cover and leaving me 500 points from platinum!

EOS 40D =15 points
EOS 300D =25 points!
EOS 20D =30 points??

EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM =35 points
EF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM =40 points
EF 600MM F/4L IS USM =35 points
EF 600MM F/4L USM* =80 points
EF 600MM F/4L IS II USM* =550 points

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0