Crazy... go Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atonegro

It's not the gear, it's the eye.
Dec 16, 2012
Netherlands
If you are shooting low-iso and want less noise and more dynamic range, buy a Nikon D800 or D800E. You will not be disappointed.
I now have a Nikon and having only two lenses with it, I almost always use it.
Remember, some of the lenses from Nikon are not as good as the Canon alternatives.
That is why I don't sell my Canon gear yet. I am still hoping Canon delivers a nice camera sometime soon.

Upvote 0
Why not, if you want it, can afford it, and can use it, go for it. I have a sports car and and SUV - different tools for different purposes. I don't have to re-learn how to drive when I switch vehicles,
switching between camera brands seems pretty basic. All this bull caca about differences can be
summed up by personal preferences, prejudices and experiences but realistically there isn't a
huge difference between them. A little like catholics and die-hard protestants arguing over who's
god is best.

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA
Atonegro said:
If you are shooting low-iso and want less noise and more dynamic range, buy a Nikon D800 or D800E. You will not be disappointed.
I now have a Nikon and having only two lenses with it, I almost always use it.
Remember, some of the lenses from Nikon are not as good as the Canon alternatives.
That is why I don't sell my Canon gear yet. I am still hoping Canon delivers a nice camera sometime soon.

+1 on that. While I wasn't happy with the 24 PCE Nikon lens compared to my Canon equivalent, I have been much happier with the Nikon 14-24, 24-70 (a real surprise after the poor mark 1 performance of my Canon), and the new 70-200 F4. I am also extremely impressed with Nikon's old 300mm. While it doesn't have VR, I put it on a tripod and can easily do 2' x 3' extremely detailed landscape prints with it. I have found the 50mm 1.4 very good and as good as the Canon. I now prefer the 24-120 VR Nikon lens over the 24-105. The problem I have with Nikon is that there are some holes. Missing is the 400mm 5.6 of Canon's and the lighter weight of the new supertels that Canon has. However since the new ones are all over $10,000 and Nikon's are mostly under $10,000 I'm wondering if they will lighten them up and if they do what the new prices will be.

I sure wish Novoflex made a Canon lens to Nikon F Mount converter. I think I understand the physics of the mounts and why this can't be done but...
How about an adapter that converts Canon glass to a Nikon D800E with a 1.1 or 1.2 crop factor that would work just like a teleconverter. Think of a 1.4 converter that is very, very, very short. Just keep the rear element from the sensor just enough and handle all the conversion of electronics from flat contacts (on the canon lens side) to the pointed pins on the Nikon mount side. How many could someone sell of those? I bet alot and I would like to be their beta tester.

Upvote 0

SiliconVoid

Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2011
(OP) If you are not making large prints, like posters, you aren't gaining anything with the D800..
I have seen/made gallery prints taken with everything from 5D, D700 to 5DmkII and D800, and unless you are talking about the finest detail that can't quite be reproduced by upscaling a 21/24mp image for poster prints you aren't going to be able to tell any significant difference in the output other than the difference created through post-processing.
If you just want to have that marginal detail whether you print big or not, like just in case you have/want to print big, then pick up something with higher mp...
I mean at the upper end of landscape photography, MF bodies, its not like everyone who shoots MF no longer owns or uses a DSLR. No capable mechanic only owns/uses one wrench...
o_O

Also remember that it is the accurate capture and reproduction of light and color that resolves detail, not mp.. but mp do give you a digitally larger image file.

(Note to Nikon trolls - your teenage Penthouse forum fantasy tales are boring.)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
SiliconVoid said:
(OP) If you are not making large prints, like posters, you aren't gaining anything with the D800..
I have seen/made gallery prints taken with everything from 5D, D700 to 5DmkII and D800, and unless you are talking about the finest detail that can't quite be reproduced by upscaling a 21/24mp image for poster prints you aren't going to be able to tell any significant difference in the output other than the difference created through post-processing.
If you just want to have that marginal detail whether you print big or not, like just in case you have/want to print big, then pick up something with higher mp...
I mean at the upper end of landscape photography, MF bodies, its not like everyone who shoots MF no longer owns or uses a DSLR. No capable mechanic only owns/uses one wrench...
o_O

Also remember that it is the accurate capture and reproduction of light and color that resolves detail, not mp.. but mp do give you a digitally larger image file.

(Note to Nikon trolls - your teenage Penthouse forum fantasy tales are boring.)

it's the post work, in some cases, that benefits from the reduced pattern noise afflicting some Canon bodies
..and it's more like missionaries ;)

Upvote 0
I used to be like 90% of you guys - thought nikon glass sucked and their bodies confusing.

Now i live on the otherside - traded 1Dx and 5d3 for a D4 and D800 couldn't pay me to come back to canon.

Try the new G primes (the 1.8 lenses are beyond words) - personally not a fan of the 14-24 but the lens doesn't suit me (i dont usually shoot under 24mm) i actually prefer the 17-35 - although most d800 shooters go for the 16-35 f4 vr for the resolving power.

the d800 needs a good technique to get the most out of it (obvious for landscape - mup, exp delay, tripod etc) - if you expect to run and gun stay with a 5d 2/3 really wont make much difference. But when you finally get your technique down packed the rewards are eye popping.

fair warning - my d800 left side af module was out from factory but i have a local repair shop in my city so it was a day to fix and back to shooting the following morning.

honestly rent one out for a weekend - and try and leave any bias at home - it took me a while to suck it up and treat the nikon gear as just another camera - my bias held me back until i viewed the first couple of shoots where i finally got to see what the hell all the fuss was about IQ/DR on the Nikon side.

Upvote 0
It seems that Nikon fanboys are now switching to Canon Rumors.

I bought a D600 and I had to return it due to dust/oil on the sensor. I am not sure why you keep singing the praise of Nikon when the company has so many quality control issues. Just go to Nikon Rumors website and see how many people are not happy with Nikon.

I bought a 6D and it is amazing. I sold all my Nikon lens and switched to Canon. I am very impressed with the IQ and lenses.

The D800 left focus issue is very well documented, just do a search on Google. It doesn't seem that Nikon has a solution for this problem.

The biggest drawbacks of the D800 I've read about is their enormous RAW file size - around 75MB. It is a hassle.

If you like Nikon I am happy for you. But also be honest and acknowledge how many issues the company is having with their products right now.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Wilmark said:
RS2021 said:
Great! This thread has now become, as expected, a venue for Nikon fanboys to ...well so as not to be censored, I will choose my words gently...a venue for nikon fanboys to ...er... "pleasure themselves". :p

Canon is the industry leader in lenses, period...when one considers the entire spectrum of Canon lenses across a wide range of focal lengths they hold an enviable market position.

One or two lenses by the competition that out performs Canon will not sway me or most sane folk.

Get a room and go enjoy your ultra wide zoom... better yet, build a shrine with the nikon 14-24...that should make up for all the rest of the lenses Canon excels at.

So what about the Canon Fanboys who jump on this thread and choose to misinterpret the OP's idea to enjoy the best of both to mean jumping ship?
+1 ... Well said. Several people here have clearly misinterpreted the OP and I don't think they have actually read the OP or just saying stuff for the sake of saying something ... or maybe they are just using this venue to "pleasure themselves" ;D

Upvote 0
Sorry..I am another new poster.

I never switched to digital until the full frame 5D came out. Couldn't buy into the 1.6 crop factor. Shot over 100k frames with no problems. Same with the 5D II. Bought a 7D to get the 1.6 crop.

I also have 14 Canon lenses, mostly L's. I hope this verifies me as a "Canon shooter".

Personally, I couldn't justify the 5D III since in my opinion it is evolutionary, not revolutionary like the 5D II.

Bought the Nikon D800 instead of the 5D III and am finding it easier to master than I thought. Hate the reverse focus AND reverse zoom. Also bought 3 Nikon lenses to cover most of my requirements.

I have no intention of selling off my Canon gear. When Canon comes out with a high MP camera I will buy it.

I do not quite understand all of this Nikon vs Canon controversy. To me there is more interesting, creative variation in lenses than in bodies.

Upvote 0
I thought the megapixel race was over. And what happens when Canon inevitably releases a body with a higher megapixel sensor? Will all the switchers switch back? That's a lot of money to just throw around for such a minimal difference every time a brand leap-frogs the competition in one spec. I wish I had that much moolah.

I've thought about getting a digital Nikon a few times (love my F3), and then every time I pick one up I remember why I never bought one- I just don't like the feeling in my hand. They feel squishy and there are buttons and dials on top of other buttons and dials, and the menu systems... I can adjust every Canon setting I need to without taking the camera away from my eye.

Canon, more than a sensor.

Upvote 0
sanj said:
RLPhoto said:
bdunbar79 said:
Wait, I thought gear didn't matter.

It doesn't.

Delusion.
I think it just sounds cool to say equipment does not matter...
Of course it does!! One needs the right equipment for the specific job.

Sighhhhhhh. One thing you people on here lack is humor, or recognition of humor.

I know it does. To say that it doesn't is insane. Maybe not in the film era, but I'm getting shots now that there is no way possible in the past. Some of them the ONLY reason I get them is because of my camera. Nothing else. No amount of technique or creativity or whatever would get me some of the shots I'm getting. So to say gear doesn't matter is objectively wrong.

Which brings me to my point. Nikon makes a lens that takes advantage of the full resolution of a D800/E and now you have something. Until then, you don't.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
bdunbar79 said:
sanj said:
RLPhoto said:
bdunbar79 said:
Wait, I thought gear didn't matter.

It doesn't.

Delusion.
I think it just sounds cool to say equipment does not matter...
Of course it does!! One needs the right equipment for the specific job.

Sighhhhhhh. One thing you people on here lack is humor, or recognition of humor.

I know it does. To say that it doesn't is insane. Maybe not in the film era, but I'm getting shots now that there is no way possible in the past. Some of them the ONLY reason I get them is because of my camera. Nothing else. No amount of technique or creativity or whatever would get me some of the shots I'm getting. So to say gear doesn't matter is objectively wrong.

Which brings me to my point. Nikon makes a lens that takes advantage of the full resolution of a D800/E and now you have something. Until then, you don't.

Everything is possible, it's just a matter of convienece.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't imagine there's much you can do with a d800 that you can't with a 5d3. If there's a red tinge in Canon sensors, can't that be fixed easily in LR or Bridge? And I own the 16-35l and, again, I cant imagine a lens could be much better. I make my living from photography (mostly people) and there's very little the 5d3 won't do. As for MPs, 21 is 10 too many for most of what I shoot. I often shoot in RAW medium (or whatever its called) so I don't have to juggle and store massive files.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.