Crazy HDR prints sell well

No problem...

Canon 70D + 10-18mm STM shot usually at 10mm f4.5 using 3 sequential RAW shots 2 stops apart (EV -2, 0, +2) at 100 ISO so shutter speed changes for different exposure and DOF is same for all.

I use DPP4 HDR maker with auto align and presets=natural in drop down box and brightness, saturation and contrast as default i.e 50,50,30

I then change the other sliders (strength, smoothness and fineness) to max i.e 100,100,100 - why it looks CRAZY..!

I then adjust to print A4 sized prints with plenty of saturation/contrast to match the image I posted as print. I can turn around 10 prints from camera in about an hour.

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
martinslade said:
No problem...

Canon 70D + 10-18mm STM shot usually at 10mm f4.5 using 3 sequential RAW shots 1 stop apart (EV -1, 0, +1) at 100 ISO so shutter speed changes for different exposure and DOF is same for all.

Have you tired with 5 shots to see if it gives better results or is 3 enough? The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently experimenting with HDR using Nik collection while using 5 shots and wondering if that is an overkill.

Upvote 0
Cool. I haven’t played with that in DPP. Even with the max settings, it’s still not as overcooked as some.

It seems that you get there early enough so that the owner won’t leave on you. Are you printing on spec, too? The economics of this fascinate me as there’s quite a few exotic cars in my area. I guess having a sample print to show would generate more sales.

(Also I was hoping you did something extreme like have an AC inverter in the car and print on site! ;D )

Upvote 0
Luckshot said:
Cool. I haven’t played with that in DPP. Even with the max settings, it’s still not as overcooked as some.

It seems that you get there early enough so that the owner won’t leave on you. Are you printing on spec, too? The economics of this fascinate me as there’s quite a few exotic cars in my area. I guess having a sample print to show would generate more sales.

(Also I was hoping you did something extreme like have an AC inverter in the car and print on site! ;D )

No AC inverter in the car I'm afraid...

There are car shows every few weeks within walking distance so I can go when they first arrive and have time to get back, process the images, print and still have time to see the owners again. If I miss some, there is always a chance they will be at the next one.

I think having prints is key. I have tried asking if they would like me to take a photo for them to see later but not had a good response. Whereas, if I take the shots regardless and then go back its better.

My main issue is time to process the HDR and print. If there is a faster way it would mean I could photograph more cars and hopefully sell more prints.

Upvote 0
kphoto99 said:
martinslade said:
No problem...

Canon 70D + 10-18mm STM shot usually at 10mm f4.5 using 3 sequential RAW shots 1 stop apart (EV -1, 0, +1) at 100 ISO so shutter speed changes for different exposure and DOF is same for all.

Have you tired with 5 shots to see if it gives better results or is 3 enough? The reason I'm asking is that I'm currently experimenting with HDR using Nik collection while using 5 shots and wondering if that is an overkill.

DPP4 will only do a max of 3 shots but I have just got the Nik collection and was wondering what it is like for HRD. Not sure I would be able to use for this purpose as turn-around time is key but perhaps for a limited number of images when there's time to experiment. I was wondering if there's a way to get a similar effect from just 1 image so I can use batch processing.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity I just grabbed 3 raw files and did a DPP merge + export, and did the same in Lightroom CC. I didn’t have a stopwatch running but it seemed to take about half the time.

I’m guessing LR would do a 5 shot (or more) merge in the time DPP does 3. But without the DPP extra controls. I guess you’d need a tone curve preset to do that.

Upvote 0
kaswindell said:
If you don't mind answering, how much are people willing to spend on these? Have you played with the price to determine if it is elastic?

No I don't mind. I sell an A4 print in a 12x16 inch card mount in a cellophane bag for £10 (I take the prints and mounts separately and have an example to show) if they just want the print it's £5.

I'm not sure what the price elasticity is like as I have only done 2 shows but selling about 60% 'ish with a few orders for B&W and also selling a few more from the first show at the second, it feels about right. Over the 2 shows I have sold about £250 so say £200 profit - just paid for my new 10-18mm lens ;D

Upvote 0
Here's a few more from the show yesterday. I should also point out that the HDR makes white cars go grey so they need to be brightened so they still look white. I just select the car and shift the exposure up so it turns white in the brightest areas.

Attachments

• 2322.jpg
    2322.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 2331.jpg
    2331.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 2352.jpg
    2352.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 2359.jpg
    2359.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 2380.jpg
    2380.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 2387.jpg
    2387.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 2401.jpg
    2401.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0
Luckshot said:
Out of curiosity I just grabbed 3 raw files and did a DPP merge + export, and did the same in Lightroom CC. I didn’t have a stopwatch running but it seemed to take about half the time.

I’m guessing LR would do a 5 shot (or more) merge in the time DPP does 3. But without the DPP extra controls. I guess you’d need a tone curve preset to do that.

They beauty of DPP is it's quite simple so I select the 3 images, click HDR, click align and start. While it's processes I can adjust and print the previous one. I cycle between the two processes and it fits quite well producing a print every 5mins or so and I don't have to think too much... just slide the sliders all the way to the right..!

Upvote 0
I liked the first one with gold jaguar but some of the later ones are too much for me - especially blue ones go too far. I also have a personal taste related to horizon and verticals - they must be either exaggerated a lot or they must be correct. When verticals or horizon are slightly falling you never know if it was an intention or error. I especially mean the one with the white MG.

£10 is cheap. Even pictures from internet galleries cost more and those are most probably without print. On the other hand you are able to sell them and you are happy with that so why not? Good luck!

Upvote 0
Ladislav said:
I liked the first one with gold jaguar but some of the later ones are too much for me - especially blue ones go too far. I also have a personal taste related to horizon and verticals - they must be either exaggerated a lot or they must be correct. When verticals or horizon are slightly falling you never know if it was an intention or error. I especially mean the one with the white MG.

£10 is cheap. Even pictures from internet galleries cost more and those are most probably without print. On the other hand you are able to sell them and you are happy with that so why not? Good luck!

Yeah, the blue is a bit crazy..!

It's not really about the money but the principal I had in mind. The effect it not really to my taste but these car owners have got loads of photos of their cars and they are still willing to buy these, probably because they are different. I think in the age we are with cameras on phones etc. the only way is to be a bit different/unique.

I was really surprised at the uptake so I thought I would pass on the message and hope it helps someone...

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
Good for you! Well done. I like that you hdrs are lifelike and not over cooked or garish. You and the people you sell the prints are happy with the price. Don't change this till your costs increase. This is a good way of making some money while enjoying car shows and can help support your GAS. You may have to start paying taxes to the Government and start a company too. The hobby could become a source of income and a good start to becoming a professional photographer. Good Luck!

Upvote 0