Criticism please.

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
They look pretty good, you got most of the key shots. Your lighting is good. Maybe would have tried to use a 70-200 to spice things up with more background separation.

I see a picture of the couple in front of a flower bush, but they are in the sun. Try to have people in a shade area so they aren't squinting or have contrasty shadows on their face.

Upvote 0
The first wedding is the hardest, and I bet you're happy with the results.
While not particularly artistic, the photos are well exposed and in focus and I would imagine the couple will be happy with the results.
Be thankfull that they didn't ask you to do video too. That ads a lot to the nerves and complications.
My first wedding had over 350 guests and went from 8:30am and finished around 2am the next day. I got a friend to help me and I also had to do a video for them as well. I worked for almost a full week editing and finalising it, as well as doing the pp on the thousands of photos we took..
Luckily, I fluked it through and the family was happy with the result, but looking back, there were a number of things I could have done better.

Now that you have some idea, look at some other wedding photographers to get some ideas on posing and lighting your subjects.

Upvote 0

JuanMa

Canon New F1
May 10, 2018
Spain
500px.com
Dear Jim
Your photos are technically good, well exposed and in focus. Some art oriented photos would have certainly be welcomed and if you look at other wedding photographers jobs, the best pictures are often taken outside the wedding area. I mean they have preselected backgrounds and that require a preliminary work to find them. Having a deep look into good wedding photographers work, is also a very y good idea.
Congratulations on your job

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I agree with the above in that they are technically good which is the most important thing: I have done a couple of wedding photo shoots for friends (because they were not going to hire a pro anyway) and it is much more difficult that it looks when you are simply a guest watching on.
In some cases a slightly wider aperture would have helped separation from the background but if that was the widest you have then you worked well with it.

A nice set.

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
Not the first photos I ever took, but my first wedding.

https://500px.com/hhaphoto/galleries/angela-s-wedding

Jim

You should ask the "Not Art" critics to show some examples of how to improve "artistically" the shots of the ceremony itself.

Most of your shots were of the ceremony and only a few outside and after. There were no pre-ceremony pics either. IMO the pre and post are important to tell the whole story.

Was this a paid Gig? If not your work is above and beyond.

If it was paid and your first Job, take all the criticism to heart.

Upvote 0
I appreciate all the feedback. This gig I did out of affection for the bride; she has been dear to me for a long time. I didn't post everything, of course; there are more photos after. Personally I'd have shot all the getting-ready stuff but the couple weren't interested; the rather straight-forward vibe was a preference of theirs also.

Whether I take up any paid gigs following on from this I'm not sure right now; I learned a lot and there are lots of new things I can do and try. I know that shooting in that church or others lit like it mean figuring out what the couple expect versus what they're willing to accommodate; I would rather have done the whole thing with flash but that option was denied to me.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to look and offer thoughts.

Jim

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:

Disclaimer: I'm crap at photography. If experienced photographers take issue with any of this please do feel free to step in.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is some of the portraits are taken at quite short focal lengths, e.g. https://500px.com/photo/264225807/trevor-and-angela-by-jim-saunders?ctx_page=1&from=gallery&galleryPath=30325165&user_id=12550001

If space allows, a long focal length and standing further back will be more flattering as the shorter focal length exaggerates the nose. If space doesn't allow then consider finding a different space :)

Some of your full length portraits are level or pointing down slightly. It's best to take these from low down & pointing up slightly. This flatters because it gives longer legs and a slimmer body (I've read low down and pointing up at the crotch. If that is the general recommendation... don't tell 'em that's what you're doing)

Something to fill in the shadows on peoples' faces would have been great (flash, reflector, whatever)

Doing the above will make your shots look much better... the subjects won't know why they look great in your photos but they'll certainly appreciate it.

Whether I take up any paid gigs following on from this I'm not sure right now

There's basic stuff you're not doing so don't do paid-for stuff until you've got it all nailed. Read up fashion and portrait photography and apply that knowledge (wedding photography, to me, is fashion and portrait photography done mostly on the fly with limited time, appalling lighting conditions and with completely inexperienced models).

Once you're able to direct the subjects into flattering poses, taken from flattering angles and with flattering lighting (provided by you) then you'll be providing a product you'll be happy to charge for.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Very good for a first wedding. You got many of the essential moments with good exposures. You obviously kept your head and stayed focus. So many moving parts in a wedding, and the subjects themselves are often tense and emotional, and then there's the in-law giving dirty looks, looking at his/her watch, sighing...

Glad you came back in one piece!

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
Not the first photos I ever took, but my first wedding.

Jim

Although I'd rather shoot flowers, bugs, and waterfalls, I think you did pretty good. The images show you took the shoot very seriously and a few of them really stand out.

I agree with a couple other posters about perhaps using a faster lens to blur out some background in certain types of shots, but hey, you did good!

I think if I was to do a shoot like this (very unlikely) I'd have two cameras on me, one with a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8. Both with IS for sure....

Upvote 0
That I didn't take two cameras for the ceremony was mostly to avoid being a distraction juggling things, but for the future I can see it being more of an option. What would help the most for the next one is a second, an assistant or both though; for paying jobs I need more time shooting and less time moving kit around.

Jim

Upvote 0