Critiques

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
AcutancePhotography said:
The advantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image.

The disadvantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image. ;D

Getting critique from strangers about whom you know little about is of questionable value to me.

I would much rather get critique from people I personally know have experience, knowledge, and ability that goes beyond a post count on some internet forum.

That pretty well sums it up, but a photographer can also benefit by a critique given by a stranger as long as he is honest and polite about what he thinks. The issue may be that we do not create photos for other photographers, but for a customer or the general public. They often have 180 degree views, hence the million dollar photographs that photographers criticize.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
If you're into nature photography, there's a good site/forum that offers genuine critiques that I can recommend - here's a link to their critique area:

BirdPhotographers.net - It Ain't Just Birds

Great site, which also includes great post processing tips
Good call on the recommendation Mackguyver

Upvote 0
CR Backup Admin said:
AcutancePhotography said:
The advantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image.

The disadvantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image. ;D

Getting critique from strangers about whom you know little about is of questionable value to me.

I would much rather get critique from people I personally know have experience, knowledge, and ability that goes beyond a post count on some internet forum.

That pretty well sums it up, but a photographer can also benefit by a critique given by a stranger as long as he is honest and polite about what he thinks. The issue may be that we do not create photos for other photographers, but for a customer or the general public. They often have 180 degree views, hence the million dollar photographs that photographers criticize.

IMHO - Posting images for others to critique is more about the photographer posting and asking for feedback than about the myriad individuals offering their opinion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. If you don't like the song, turn off the radio. Otherwise, put on your big boy pants and be prepared to take what comes, good, bad and in between. Some advice is too nice, some is too harsh and some advice actually aims to help. In truth, it's ALL helpful because the poster learns the different reactions his work generates from others.

Upvote 0