Crop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Policar said:
None of the claims made in the rumor are true. It is entirely made up. None of it is real except the CLOG thing posted earlier probably is.

The only thing unprecedented is a rumor this inane being posted on a site that usually vets its sources.

I can't be so dogmatic in my assertion, but I'm inclined to agree. This sounds more like a well-crafted wishlist than an actual leak. I hope it's true; would be great if it is. But it's not one of the rumors I feel compelled to put stock in. April can't get here soon enough!

Upvote 0
Re: HiCrop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

LetTheRightLensIn said:
might actually become useful for video, Sony stuff has just produced so much nicer quality I personally couldn't even be bothered with the 5D4, now if they could just make a version without the special video autofocus but a full extra stop more DR at ISO100.... (even as is, it at least becomes something to look at now, the DR for stills is still disappointing, much improved and yet not quite enough to really single frame all the real world tricky scenes quite as much as one might like even after all of this time, but it's least it's semi-there and with the great lenses and perhaps now actually decent video (although still not sure why they can't give critical basics like live zoomed focusing box or zebras, absurd) but at least it becomes a relevant camera again perhaps at least for those who want a one body semi-does it all and Canon lenses; I had totally written off Canon, but might give them a peek again, see how this turns out, i'd purchased tons of Canon stuff for years but it's been a few years now since I have purchased a single thing from Canon and have even sold some stuff off, only brand I had ever shot for a long, long time)

if true they might finally become relevant again
but nearing April 1st though....

So much hatred in your little black heart.

Upvote 0
Re: HiCrop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

Are these numbers correct?

1) Sampling for DCI 4K will be increased to a 5632 x 2970 pixel sensor area resulting in a 1.27x Crop factor.
2) Sampling for UHD will be from a 5472 x 3078 pixel sensor area resulting in a 1.29x Crop factor.
3) The current 1:1 4K sampling mode will remain an option for situations benefiting from the 1.78x Crop factor.

Check:
1) sqrt(5632^2 + 2970^2) / 4630 (diagonal pixels of DCI 4k) = ~1.38 (not 1.27)?
2) sqrt(5472^2 + 3078^2) / 4406 (diagonal pixels of UHD 4k) = ~1.42 (not 1.29)?
3) sqrt(6720 ^2 + 4480^2) / 4630 (diagonal pixels of DCI 4k) = ~1.74 (not 1.78)

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016

noms78 said:
Are these numbers correct?

1) Sampling for DCI 4K will be increased to a 5632 x 2970 pixel sensor area resulting in a 1.27x Crop factor.
2) Sampling for UHD will be from a 5472 x 3078 pixel sensor area resulting in a 1.29x Crop factor.
3) The current 1:1 4K sampling mode will remain an option for situations benefiting from the 1.78x Crop factor.

Check:
1) sqrt(5632^2 + 2970^2) / 4630 (diagonal pixels of DCI 4k) = ~1.38 (not 1.27)?
2) sqrt(5472^2 + 3078^2) / 4406 (diagonal pixels of UHD 4k) = ~1.42 (not 1.29)?
3) sqrt(6720 ^2 + 4480^2) / 4630 (diagonal pixels of DCI 4k) = ~1.74 (not 1.78)

You're confusing oversampling and crop factor.
Crop for DCI would be sqrt(6720 ^2 + 4480^2) / sqrt(5632^2 + 2970^2) = 1.268, so as least the calculations are spot on. Doing a down scaling is surprisingly costly in video coding, which is my main source of doubt in this. It adds about 3GB/s memory bandwidth usage for 8bit 4:2:2 DCI@30fps. If Canon had that bandwidth to spare, they'd figured out a way of cooling chips properly from the outset.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

pokerz said:
I thought overheat issues relate to Mirrorless only, in fact 5d4 overheats with new codec :-\

It was basically clear (and Canon has all but admitted it in interviews) that the less-than-optimal 4K implementation in the 5D4 was primarily due to issues with thermal budget. Yes, you can fit a larger heatsink into a DSLR than a tiny mirrorless but the fact remains that it's pretty difficult to transfer heat away efficiently enough when you can't have venting or cooling fins on the body, never mind active cooling.

Upvote 0

Talley said:
I received my 5D4 the day after the release. I love this camera inside and out.

Now I will love it more and it will secure a longer stay in my bag. This camera will seriously be a 10 year camera. Looking forward to the future years of my photography.

Ahhh. One of the handful of 5D upgraders jumping directly to 5DIV... :p

Upvote 0

We are about to get 6D II. Any gues, what the above might mean for it? First - if it is just around the horizon, the firmware might be already done (does not mean it could not be upgraded later though), whereas second - they need to differentiate it from the 5D IV, to protect it.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

Something has been bugging me about this announcement - why would a bigger heatsink help reduce heat inside a weather-sealed camera? Isn't the magnesium alloy case the only real way that heat can be dissipated out of the camera?

Now I'm the first to admit I don't 100% know how the internals of the camera work, but looking at the teardown at https://petapixel.com/2016/09/09/teardown-take-peek-inside-canon-5d-mark-iv/ there doesn't seem to be a specific heatsink that can be replaced. I see a lot of RF shielding and metalwork connecting the camera together, but it does look like the case is the primary heatsink, as you'd imagine from a weathersealed camera.

Upvote 0

Sharlin said:
pokerz said:
I thought overheat issues relate to Mirrorless only, in fact 5d4 overheats with new codec :-\

It was basically clear (and Canon has all but admitted it in interviews) that the less-than-optimal 4K implementation in the 5D4 was primarily due to issues with thermal budget. Yes, you can fit a larger heatsink into a DSLR than a tiny mirrorless but the fact remains that it's pretty difficult to transfer heat away efficiently enough when you can't have venting or cooling fins on the body, never mind active cooling.
The modification might change the plate around the tripod screw to copper and they announce a "cooler" vertical grip (takes only one battery and is optimized for heat dissipation).
Or this whole rumor is just fantasy, which I think is more likely.

Upvote 0
jayphotoworks said:
While I've seen this type of update from companies like Fuji, Ricoh or Blackmagic,
+1: Fuji keeps updating cameras built in the 90's! :eek:

jayphotoworks said:
I've never seen this scope of update from Canon ever.
...except for a "major" 7D update a few years ago.

Who knows, maybe in 2019 my 6D will get the central focus point working @ F/8.

Upvote 0
shunsai said:
Policar said:
None of the claims made in the rumor are true. It is entirely made up. None of it is real except the CLOG thing posted earlier probably is.

The only thing unprecedented is a rumor this inane being posted on a site that usually vets its sources.

I can't be so dogmatic in my assertion, but I'm inclined to agree. This sounds more like a well-crafter wishlist than an actual leak. I hope it's true; would be great if it is. But it's not one of the rumors I feel compelled to put stock in. April can't get here soon enough!

If this is a hoax, it is a very well-made one. It has all the marks of being the real deal: It makes sense in relation to previous information (i.e. sending in cameras to Canon), and most importantly it is very detailed. People who send in their wish lists to CR don't tend to go into this level of detail. And they always seem to include some really crazy wishes which give them away. Things which could have been included in a firmware upgrade but are not on this list: focus peaking, manual focus zoom box, software video stabilisation. These are common wishes and the fact that they are not on the list make it believable in my view.

Policar, you claim that "none of this is true" while stating that only the C-log thing is true, "probably". Why should we believe your first claim when you obviously don't know at all?

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013

Sounds....good. Somehow. But for me not quite.
Still no 120fps in HD.
When you fix the hardware of the camera, start putting in HDMI 1.4 , so that the 4K can get off the camera to an external storage device. Otherwise this is still useless.
Offer options to get modern CFAST cards in there, double slots. Like they did with the Nikon D5. Choos your option, make it a payable upgrade and see where this goes.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

jolyonralph said:
Something has been bugging me about this announcement - why would a bigger heatsink help reduce heat inside a weather-sealed camera? Isn't the magnesium alloy case the only real way that heat can be dissipated out of the camera?

The shell of the body is the ultimate heatsink, yes. But its effectiveness depends critically on how well heat is transferred from the parts that generate it to the body, with solid pieces of metal or eg. heat pipes. I'm sure that part can be improved.

Upvote 0

Sharlin said:
jolyonralph said:

The shell of the body is the ultimate heatsink, yes. But its effectiveness depends critically on how well heat is transferred from the parts that generate it to the body, with solid pieces of metal or eg. heat pipes. I'm sure that part can be improved.

This new 5D mIV will be one hot camera!

Upvote 0

Sharlin said:
jolyonralph said:

That's the suspicious part. As a laptop disassembler geek, I know the part that can be involved in thermal management. And when I closely look at the Lensrental teardown pictures I see NONE inside the MarkIV!
Maybe it's related to the sensor cooling that we can't see there... but if I'm not wrong, during video, it's the image processing chips that release lot of heat, not the sensor.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

The more I think about it...this rumor is just that. The Canon company that I am familiar with will not be making these kind of changes to an existing product. Just my opinion...so we shall see what happens...
I am considering purchasing a 5D IV for still photography and this rumor is just a "never mind" to me anyway...although, if true...it would affect resale value.

Upvote 0