crop sensor wide angle upgrade options

Aug 1, 2013
Currently have a Tokina 12-24mm F4 X-Pro II ultra wide zoom. While it suits my needs very well for the range, it suffers a lot from distortion and softness away from the centre. I don't use it a lot (last use was November 2017) but I'm thinking of upgrading it to something with better performance.
I would be looking to spend no more than £700 which is part funded by selling the Tokina. But I'm struggling to find options that are both good and within my budget.
Have a 24mm pancake and 24-105L which I like, but aren't wide enough when I want to go really wide.
Prefer a zoom, but open to prime. Must have AF.
Will be used on 7D mkII.
Don't mind going for 3rd party manufacturer, so long as it is an upgrade and reliable/consistent.
I would like ot try some more night shooting, so F2.8 would appeal to me.

Have seen Tamron 15-30mm but read AF can be a bit temperamental, but the loss of 3mm while it doesn't sound like much, does make the field of view a lot narrower on the wide end.
Tokina have one or two lenses, but they are very heavy and I have always felt the clutch AF-MF mechanism moves where the focus is set slightly, at least, I have less confidence in it than my other lenses with a simple switch.

Any ideas? Thank you :)

I bought an EF-S 10-22 a month before Canon brought out the EF-S 10-18. Many say that the 10-18 produces as good a quality but I have been surprised and please with the 10-22, so unless you want the EF11-24 I'd recommend the 10-22. It also has 77mm diameter thread so works with CPL and other filters I have for other lenses. BUt it is only f/3.5-4.5

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I bought an EF-S 10-22 a month before Canon brought out the EF-S 10-18. Many say that the 10-18 produces as good a quality but I have been surprised and please with the 10-22, so unless you want the EF11-24 I'd recommend the 10-22. It also has 77mm diameter thread so works with CPL and other filters I have for other lenses. BUt it is only f/3.5-4.5

I used the 10-22mm on my T3i to shoot interiors for realtors and designers. It worked great for that purpose. The 10-18mm supposedly has just as good IQ and is smaller and more economical, but even slower. For architecture and landscapes, you generally want everything sharp, so not likely to shoot wide open with a faster lens.

I've since bought a 6D2 and the 16-35mm f/4 and don't do the paid shots any more, so I haven't used the 10-22mm in a while.

Upvote 0