Cropped 40D vd current 5D FF or new 5D3 FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
bohaiboy said:
Will I really be able to detect a major difference in the quality of a photograph made with these cameras? Now for a moment lets assume that all of these cameras had the same MP rating, and that I changed my posiiton from the CF to FF so that the same image would appear in the photo, could I tell a difference?

Thanks all, just learning here.

I really don't understand what you are trying to get at, particulary asking about a new camera that doesn't yet exist.

I can only say that I had 5 of the 40D's. they were wonderful cameras, and I loved them. But my 5D MK II is much better. If you do a comparison between the old 5D MK I and the 40D, the 5D MK I wins handily as well.

Assuming the cameras have the same MP does not compute. They don't and never will.

The Photographer is 90 % of the image followed by the lens. The body you use will matter in cases where better AF, faster fps, ruggedness, or low light sensitivity is needed, but in bright sun at ISO 100, the body plays a small part.

Upvote 0
C

colvinatch

I shoot a 50D and a 5D mark II, the biggest difference is the high ISO performance of the 5DmkII at 3200 the images are clean and very usable, the 50D is very noisy. I also like the depth of field much better on the 5DmkII and the fact that my 50mm lens acts like a 50mm lens. I still use the 50D for sports and wildlife shooting because of the extra reach it provides my telephoto lenses and the high frame rate. The images are very good from the both cameras As for the 5DmkIII I doubt I will upgrade soon, I'm still enjoying the images that come off both my bodies way too much, If I were you I would catch a 5DmkII when the price drops and put the extra grand tword a really good lens.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
I have owned a 40D since 2008 and am waiting for the 5D3 but I have shot with the 5D classic ad 5D2. I can say that the 5Dc is better image quality than the 40D and the 5D2, well, it beats them both.

Here are two shots I took and have posted here before comparing the 40D/50_1.8 and 5D/85_1.8 - both at f2.0 with no changes at all in post production.

The bokeh is way better on the 5D, IMHO. As stated previously, if you are wondering which one to get, get the 5D2 and some nice glass :)

Attachments

• 5D_85-2_Bokeh_Test-1166.jpg
    5D_85-2_Bokeh_Test-1166.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 801
  • 40D_50-2_Bokeh_Test-2811.jpg
    40D_50-2_Bokeh_Test-2811.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 767
Upvote 0
M

Minnesota Nice

The benefit to full frame vs. crop is having the bigger sensor means there is more surface area for the light to hit, allowing for much better performance in low light compared to a 1.6x crop factor sensor.

In general IQ is better with all FF bodies and you have the option to go wider (16mm on a FF = 10mm on a 1.6x crop body).

The down side is really price and size. And only being able to use EF lenses (if that means anything to you).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.