Cue the head spinning, The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III to be 20.1mp? [CR1]

Dec 31, 2018
You can't test with old sensor though. The old sensor does not have the same capabilities as the new one will. It lacks the improved dual pixel architecture, the focusing points etc etc. It isn't just a matter of resolution is it?
ok dual pixel modified old sensor then :) and live view shooting rumours can be for new 24mpix sensor

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
But the new 5DV is romured to have something in the range of 45MP, So sensor-wise, the "gap" remains.

I am planning on a 1dx III upgrade, but I think I will probably complement with an R II or high MP if they deliver a 5dV equivalent camera like they did with the 90d / m6 II. I will probably hold off on RF lenses and adapt my EF lenses until the point I move away from wildlife. I am 67 and that 36lbs of camera gear + tripod gets heavier every trip. I figure when I hit 70 it will be time to give up the 1dx III. I would probably pass on the 1dx III if it wasn't for 2 more trips to Africa, 1 trip to Antarctica, 4 trips to the National Parks, etc, etc by the end of 2022.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
It is quite possible that both of these "sources" are correct. I wouldn't be shocked if there are a few different 1DxIII's prototypes out there sporting different sensors.

The big question remains though.

As a betting man, I would look at 24.x sensor. There is a resolution war going on between Canon and Sony.

Canon would be mercilessly bashed if they did not use a 24.x mp sensor and that is PR they would be silly to accept today as there are actually real photographers now moving to Sony. But who knows.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
It is quite possible that both of these "sources" are correct. I wouldn't be shocked if there are a few different 1DxIII's prototypes out there sporting different sensors.

The big question remains though.

As a betting man, I would look at 24.x sensor. There is a resolution war going on between Canon and Sony.

This makes great sense - and their soliciting feedback from the Users on the resulting images and the speed of how each iteration is performing - in a real-world usage.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Pathetic if true, just saved me a shit load of money. Would be a poor look to now be distant third in resolution with Nikon anticipatd to increase resolution with the D6, and never in 1 series history has there been a model update without resolution increase even when they have been quite poor at times. Hopefully this is more CR(-1).

I agree....24 would seem to be the standard at this point....Although Canon has been disappointing people for a few years now so I wouldn't put it past them to do this. Ugh.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
At 28MP it is a no-brainer for me. Just show me where to sign. But 20MP? Huh? Gotta think about that. At 24 MP, then it is looking good, but we gotta see what the detailed specs are.

I was in a similar boat...especially for wildlife....if you think about how many pixels you put on a bird/animal vs the 7Dii. 28MP vs 20.2 is a nearly 40% advantage which eliminates a large portion of the 7Dii's advantage of having the crop factor.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
I am planning on a 1dx III upgrade, but I think I will probably complement with an R II or high MP if they deliver a 5dV equivalent camera like they did with the 90d / m6 II. I will probably hold off on RF lenses and adapt my EF lenses until the point I move away from wildlife. I am 67 and that 36lbs of camera gear + tripod gets heavier every trip. I figure when I hit 70 it will be time to give up the 1dx III. I would probably pass on the 1dx III if it wasn't for 2 more trips to Africa, 1 trip to Antarctica, 4 trips to the National Parks, etc, etc by the end of 2022.

What do you carry for gear? I hope the rest of your trips go well...I'm betting the last few minutes of your final trip will feel quite poignant after however many decades you spent out there photographing wildlife.

• Love
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Hi, as for weight, there must be ways to reduce the weight of the gear withouht compremise on the camera. For example, a vest that you can attach the gera to and such that wil not only reduce the wieght, but also makes it better to carry. I hope there are ways to resolve this,

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
What if Canon does something with the 1DX line that they did with the 5DS and 5DSr several years ago. Introduce 2 different DX III models, one with the old 20.2 (or refreshed 20.2) mp sensor to maintain file sizes for a certain pro-segment and a 24.2, or even 26mp, brand new sensor for all other pro (and other) segments?

Wouldn't that shock everyone?

1 DXs III or 1 DX IIIs?
1 DX III

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I don't know why people are still pushing the old line 'lower res = better high ISO'. Very little progress has been made by any manufacturer on high ISO *raw* noise levels for years, nor is much more improvement physically possible (as knowledgable people keep saying, but seemingly ignored).
With my very limited knowledge, as I understand it, the only way to reduce noise is with pixel size/architecture and processing - both on the initial capture and how the capture gets saved/read to the memory card. This is my simplified view...

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Could it be possible Canon is testing various resolutions in the field to see which provides the best low light performance?

Ultimately i think the cameras low light performance and IQ is more important than mega pix count for the 1dx iii.
I would add to this, speed and autofocusing enhancements.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Hi, as for weight, there must be ways to reduce the weight of the gear withouht compremise on the camera. For example, a vest that you can attach the gera to and such that wil not only reduce the wieght, but also makes it better to carry. I hope there are ways to resolve this,

The problem is more in the lenses than the body, but it all adds up. I have the 200-400 f4 L IS w/integrated 1.4x TC that is almost 8lbs + the 100-400 II for handheld shooting + 24-70 f2.8 L II for low light and landscapes. In addition, I always carry a second body like the 5dIV for landscapes, etc. I use a vest in Africa for convenience, but it doesn't really cut down on my overall gear weight plus all the other stuff required. I am looking at alternatives to the 200-400, but I love the versatility and high image quality of the lens for what I shoot. I know most people would say leave the 100-400 II at home (which I occasionally substitute 70-200 f4 L IS II), but I like it on a second body for handheld shooting and carrying when away from a vehicle. The alternatives for the 200-400 would include the EF 500 II, EF 400 DO II, etc.

Upvote 0