Cue the head spinning, The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III to be 20.1mp? [CR1]

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
What do you carry for gear? I hope the rest of your trips go well...I'm betting the last few minutes of your final trip will feel quite poignant after however many decades you spent out there photographing wildlife.

I am a very healthy 67, so I plan to continue trips long after 70 but will probably shift to landscapes, etc. At a minimum, I will scale back from the heavier professional lenses and gear. My typical gear for a hard core wildlife trip is 1dx II, 5dIV, 24-70 f2.8 L II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS II, 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x tc, multiple batteries for both cameras, battery chargers, binoculars, RRS Tripod & Wimberley Head (not for Africa), 1.4x & 2x TC III's, etc. I like the 100-400 II on my backup camera when I need to shift to handheld shooting. This was the bag on my 2017 Africa trip where I was doing Gorillas and wanted the 100-400 II for the mountain treks.

2017-10-06 01.27.40.jpg2017-10-06 01.27.40.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
There aren't any 1Dx users who moved to Sony which are known to me so far.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I didn't let the doors hit me in the butt on the way out of this forum because I never left :)

I have been enjoying the A9 for about 6 months and A92 for the past few days while hoping Canon comes back with a pro version of its mirrorless. I have 13 EF lenses awaiting this coming.

The two things I miss from my 1dx2 are the menu system and the weatherproofing (although it'll be interesting to see if the A92 does better with the weather proofing. First indications are that it is an improvement.)

I would very much like to exploit all those amazing RF lenses Canon has been putting out to the non-existent market of Pro R body owners. One has to expect there will be a deserving body to follow. My minimum definition includes >8fps with AF-C, which is the R's weakest point.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I am a very healthy 67, so I plan to continue trips long after 70 but will probably shift to landscapes, etc. At a minimum, I will scale back from the heavier professional lenses and gear. My typical gear for a hard core wildlife trip is 1dx II, 5dIV, 24-70 f2.8 L II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS II, 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x tc, multiple batteries for both cameras, battery chargers, binoculars, RRS Tripod & Wimberley Head (not for Africa), 1.4x & 2x TC III's, etc. I like the 100-400 II on my backup camera when I need to shift to handheld shooting. This was the bag on my 2017 Africa trip where I was doing Gorillas and wanted the 100-400 II for the mountain treks.

View attachment 187431View attachment 187431
Whaaaaaat? What bag is that and how much heavy becomes with all that? I have similar equipment but (change 20-400 for 500 and 1DxII for 5DsR though) but I wouldn't dare to put that thing in my back. I split to two bags and keep them in the car. When I have to carry a bag I take less with me. It's either the 500 with 5DsR and something small like 200D or 5DIV with 16-35 and a 400DOII but not both. Once that I was recovering from a back problem I took 5DsR with 100-400II and 200D with 10-18 (and a G7XII).

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Whaaaaaat? What bag is that and how much heavy becomes with all that? I have similar equipment but (change 20-400 for 500 and 1DxII for 5DsR though) but I wouldn't dare to put that thing in my back. I split to two bags and keep them in the car. When I have to carry a bag I take less with me. It's either the 500 with 5DsR and something small like 200D or 5DIV with 16-35 and a 400DOII but not both. Once that I was recovering from a back problem I took 5DsR with 100-400II and 200D with 10-18 (and a G7XII).

Gura Gear 32L. I use these bags more as a transport bag and work out of the bag when near a vehicle. This configuration is 36lbs and I would never try to hike with a full bag. I was in Alaska for Brown Bears one year where we did a 6 mile hike and I stripped out everything except the 1dxII, 200-400, 24-70 and an extra battery. I strap on one of the little 2 wheel luggage carts when traveling though airports. I took two separate bags for my first Africa trip and found it to be a pain when dealing with both camera bags and general luggage (charter flights with a group with no real weight limits). I usually carry a small, flat backup with the iPad, iPhone, etc. I have always been strong and have not lost too much muscle as I have aged. I do feel it a bit more and know that time will catch up with me eventually.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
My concern is more about FPS and focus tracking than the sensor size. Most 1D users are not unterested in HUGE MP sensor for they are not producing glamour photography but more "action" which is nature, news, sports where low noise in high ISO, large FPS and fast recording is much mroe important than MP. Therefore I don't think that 5D users will switch to 1D just because the 1D will have 28MP sensor which is very close to the 30MP of teh current 5D.
I definitely get it. I do little "action" photography, but I do respect the 1D cameras a lot. I have a 1DsIII and I love the feel and size of it, and it has 21.1MP. Imagine that! And it is 12 years old now. So I have a strong liking for what the 1DxIII could be. But, BUT, where I am right now is that I would like to get a higher MP camera for what I do shoot. The 1DxIII video specs (that we know about) are also very enticing. I do a fair amount of video work too, so I like what the 1DxIII might offer that way. So, we'll see what happens in the next couple of months.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
I really struggle to see this being real. I can't see Canon having their most expensive camera, a true flagship, also be the lowest resolution in their stable. Then again, this camera really isn't intended to be a resolution monster so who knows.
The thing is more MP means more flexibility to crop as desired/necessary with the end result still being a high quality photo. If I were on safari where the vistas are broad, then it would be a very powerful tool to have a lot of MP.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany

View attachment 187431View attachment 187431
Not bad, reminds me of my own package, though with a bit different lenses and cameras, e.g. I carry frequently an EF 500mm with me. So your back is really healthy. I wish you that you can proceed for some years that way

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
20 megapixels are okay for me unless Canon finds a way to reduce pixel level noise. I wish be will someday have a camera with two sensors that you can somehow switch. One with no more than 12 megapixels for low light and video and one with 40 or more megapixels for sharp photos in good lighting.
One sensor would be enough, with the option to switch between e.g. 24 MP and 12 MP with virtual pixels, i.e. combined pixels on the sensor level. This would be my dream, because you'd really have two cameras in one.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
One sensor would be enough, with the option to switch between e.g. 24 MP and 12 MP with virtual pixels, i.e. combined pixels on the sensor level. This would be my dream, because you'd really have two cameras in one.

Question in earnest: Wouldn't it make sense to combine four pixels (2x2) into one lower res pixel? Of course that would reduce to 24 vs 6 MP in this instance, but if the camera started with 36 or 48, those could reduce to 9 or 12.

Going down by a factor of 2 means combining a block of 1.414... x 1.414 pixels, which involves a lot of interpolating across the whole sensor.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Question in earnest: Wouldn't it make sense to combine four pixels (2x2) into one lower res pixel? Of course that would reduce to 24 vs 6 MP in this instance, but if the camera started with 36 or 48, those could reduce to 9 or 12.

Going down by a factor of 2 means combining a block of 1.414... x 1.414 pixels, which involves a lot of interpolating across the whole sensor.
Well, it is more complicated, because the standard Bayer pattern sensors already use four pixels to make one color pixel. But you are right, a factor 4 would be more suitable. In fact, even only 6 well working MP with low noise level in pitch dark nights would be something nice.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The thing is more MP means more flexibility to crop as desired/necessary with the end result still being a high quality photo. If I were on safari where the vistas are broad, then it would be a very powerful tool to have a lot of MP.
5ds is your camera!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I've been a fanatic Canon user for a long time! I am using a 1DXMK2 now.
If the Canon sensor doesn't make a difference, I will definitely move to another brand (Leica SL2)
I hope that canon does not disappoint us.
I wonder what AF performance (and especially AF burst performance) you expect from SL2. After being used to 1DX II, won't Leica's contrast detect only autofocus disappoint you?

Upvote 0
I agree....24 would seem to be the standard at this point....Although Canon has been disappointing people for a few years now so I wouldn't put it past them to do this. Ugh.

*a few people chiefly on forums.

I was in a similar boat...especially for wildlife....if you think about how many pixels you put on a bird/animal vs the 7Dii. 28MP vs 20.2 is a nearly 40% advantage which eliminates a large portion of the 7Dii's advantage of having the crop factor.

You're forgetting that the crop is linear, while the resolution is area - a FF sensor has to be >50MP to give the same 'reach' as a APS-C at ~20MP - i.e. 20x1.6x1.6 (which is why people talk about the 5DS(r) effectively eliminating the crop advantage). 28MP is nowhere near that.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I wonder what AF performance (and especially AF burst performance) you expect from SL2. After being used to 1DX II, won't Leica's contrast detect only autofocus disappoint you?

The SL2 only does 6fps with continuous AF, which is nothing compared to the 1DX II.

HOWEVER, the 1DX II doesn't have a red dot.

Upvote 0