Curious minds wants to know...

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Do you mean a final high-performance EF mount body? :unsure: Depends what was in the pipeline. And if there's enough EF lens inventory around the world to justify it. And of course there will be lots of used EF and EF-S lenses sloshing about.

Canon's EF to RF mount adapters seem brilliant at this point, so buying a last dSLR now with a few carefully considered EF lenses would be reasonable.

And the 7D III would be good for Big Whites, updated or older versions. But that seems a small market for a new body.

My guess, slightly better than 50-50 chance. Out on a limb, yes, one more and done.

Here's a question for you: Do you think new photographers without an investment in any brand of gear will be choosing dSLR's, and, if so, which brand would they go with right now?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Do you mean a final high-performance EF mount body? :unsure: Depends what was in the pipeline. And if there's enough EF lens inventory around the world to justify it. And of course there will be lots of used EF and EF-S lenses sloshing about.

Canon's EF to RF mount adapters seem brilliant at this point, so buying a last dSLR now with a few carefully considered EF lenses would be reasonable.

And the 7D III would be good for Big Whites, updated or older versions. But that seems a small market for a new body.

My guess, slightly better than 50-50 chance. Out on a limb, yes, one more and done.

Here's a question for you: Do you think new photographers without an investment in any brand of gear will be choosing dSLR's, and, if so, which brand would they go with right now?

Surely you jest...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Surely you jest...
Over the past decade, big manufacturing corporations have learned to calculate product flows with amazing accuracy. If Canon has been planning the move to RF for some time now, and they have a timeline for tapering off EF production, how overstocked do you think warehouses, distribution centers, and retail shops are at this point? How overstocked do you think they will be a year from now?

I do think Canon will put out one more generation of a few compelling EOS bodies, in part to give RF time to gear up, and in part to drain down EF inventory. EF has to remain relevant for a period of time.

I also think they have enough savvy, experience, and brute computing power to not get caught with mountains of unsold lenses.

So, "if" might seem silly to you, but, please, share some insights. Is Canon overstocked? Do they have decades of new, unsold lenses? Years? How many that match the typical 7D series wish list of new lenses? How long will Canon keep cranking out more L series EF lenses?

Used lenses, on the other hand, who can say?

EF-S will probably outlive EF by quite some time. In fact, maybe the low cost Rebels will remain what the great majority of Canon customers buy.

RF will take considerable time to displace EF completely. But there is a psychological component. For example, Toyota is selling 2018 RAV4's at or below cost right now, as the 2019 version is a reboot. Dealerships don't want the old ones around when the new ones fill the showrooms. Am I the only photographer holding off buying more EF lenses with a thought toward whether a better native RF version might be coming along?

There is great opportunity ahead for bargains on legacy EF lenses, and many photographers will take advantage. Just last week, new ef 50mm f/1.2L's were on sale for only $1069 USD from authorized dealers. And RF was just introduced!

(Is a new ef 50mm f/1.xL coming? Asked in another thread, I know, but what do you think?)

Perhaps you think a mirrorless body cannot be built that seriously challenges dSLR's for fast action. If so, you aren't alone, and that type of photography might sustain EF longer than expected.

Please, reveal the future in your crystal ball. But be careful. This is a sensitive topic. Discussing the value of EF lenses in a collection is scary!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think that Canon has a design, but is still undecided as to the future of EF-s DSLR's at the high end. Its certainly not a matter of lens availability, it will be several years before we see very many RF lenses available, at a rate of 2-3 lenses a year (more initially), it could take 7-10 years for a full line to become available.

People who own DSLR's and Mirrorless both are going to stay with EF lenses, simply because they can use them on all their cameras. Those with a R camera as their only body will have to buy EF lenses, there is a inadequate selection of
RF lenses now, and the 2 or three rumored for introduction is not going to change that;.

As to inventory levels, that is posted in each Canon quarterly report, its no mystery, typically a few months worth at best.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Upvote 0
YuengLinger, i think new photographers are following the lead of the latest marketing scheme and that is taking them to mirrorless format. Personally, I am a dSLR guy and will always be as long as there are more than adequate support and lenses for them. If that means price dropping on those big white L lens, that will solidify my hanging on to all of my D bodies. I do have a mirrorless camera only for traveling purposes but my longstanding long term investments will keep me on the dSLR path.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I think a 7DIII that even marginally increases FPS , focussing performance and high ISO performance would sell well.
EOS-R is hampered by not really being backward compatible to EOS.
It will require a number of EOS-R cameras to move existing users across.
APS-C cameras are Canon's highest volume sales in cameras so EF will still be in demand there.
Canon could make a great 7D III

Upvote 0