D600 DXO is out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gothmoth

94..... well let me make a guess.. the 6D will score 81.

Nikon’s recently released consumer-oriented full-frame sensor DSLR, the D600, has just gone through DxOMark’s image quality evaluation tests. And the verdict is in: the D600 is an affordable camera that places a high premium on image quality, as it ranks just behind the top performing Nikon D800 and Nikon D800E. It is also a significant improvement over the high-end professional flagship DSLRs, the Nikon D3X and the Nikon D4. Here are the DxOMark test results for the D600.

Upvote 0
J

jcs16

I am not saying they're "faking" it. It's just I am wondering why is it their are brands that are tested earlier than others. Is it because nikon sees a marketing importance if dxo would release a data suggesting that the sensor in their camera is superior or canon, pentax or any other brand sees no importance in dxo data that they are not keen in sending their cameras to be tested. Because for what I know you would always see theses arguments with regards to dxo in photography forums. I know dxo mark is dependent on manufacturers to lend them their cameras to be tested but I think only nikon is the one making the most out of this publicity.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Good luck with that 6D, Canon, D600 test results at DxOmark = D800's top-of-pack

Some seem to have a particular distrust of DxOmark's test results which show recent Nikon bodies humiliating Canon's offerings in the critical low ISO dynamic range results.
Well, there's new fodder for your angst.

The D600's test results are virtually the same as the D800 and D800e and that puts it a full 2.5 stops better than the 5D3 at base ISO.

Canon's "new" sensor in the 6D better be part of a whole new system that can pull of a miraculous improvement if they want to stem the criticism. 1Dx results are still not posted either but should be a bit better than the 5D3's in the DR measurement.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011
Re: Good luck with that 6D, Canon, D600 test results at DxOmark = D800's top-of-pack

Canon couldn't improve their DR, even if their life depended on it.

If we are lucky, Canon might catch up with Nikon's (Sony's) current sensor tech by year 2015.

Tammy said:
If only the Nikons could focus.
Ridiculous fanboy comment, and you know it.

Upvote 0
jcs16 said:
I am not saying they're "faking" it. It's just I am wondering why is it their are brands that are tested earlier than others. Is it because nikon sees a marketing importance if dxo would release a data suggesting that the sensor in their camera is superior or canon, pentax or any other brand sees no importance in dxo data that they are not keen in sending their cameras to be tested. Because for what I know you would always see theses arguments with regards to dxo in photography forums. I know dxo mark is dependent on manufacturers to lend them their cameras to be tested but I think only nikon is the one making the most out of this publicity.

I think you answered your own question. Canon is not in a hurry to lend them their cameras, because they don't see it as a good marketing opportunity. How could they? Nikon's been pulling away for the past 3 years in sensor technology (some their own, like the D3S, d3200) some borrowed and tweaked (Sony mostly). Looks like their sensor strategy works rather well.

They chose not to invest in sensor manufacturing at the dawn of the digital era. Perhaps they didn't have the capital (much smaller company than Canon) or perhaps they thought it's too risky. They did, however, put a lot of money into sensor design R&D. Manufacturing capacity is there, at least 4-5 Japanese companies (Panasonic, Sony, and other names I can't recall). They have developed a number of sensors over the years (d3s being probably the most successful) but they also stayed open to new developments in the market. I think they had a partnership with Sony as far back as the d2x.

In theory, Canon could do the same - I don't think Nikon's deal with Sony is exclusive. The d800 maybe - they might be cross-licensing patents, for example, but it's probably only for a limited term. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the latest Sony improvements in low light performance were due to some IP exchange deal, but we'll never know. But imagine the built, ergonomics and performance of the 5D Mark III with the d600 sensor. That would be the camera!

Upvote 0
J

jcs16

Canon I think should at least try to benchmark its 1DX sensor against competition. Iphone is doing it in smartphone industry against competition, and if your going to base it in their data they are as fast as their nearest rival if not better. So if canon is telling as that 1dx is very good in low light they should give as some numerical data that would validate it. Otherwise these arguments would just run in circles. Hopefully in the coming weeks we will know.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jcs16 said:
Canon I think should at least try to benchmark its 1DX sensor against competition.

Why should they? :p

head_in_the_sand.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Interestingly, looking at their use case scores, it makes a compelling case that the D800 is now a very niche camera for Nikon. Only those that absolutely have to have 36mp would buy it, since it seems that the D600 does everything the D800 does, and in some cases, a little better (high ISO). I wonder if that cuts into Nikon's bottom line at all...

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
preppyak said:
Interestingly, looking at their use case scores, it makes a compelling case that the D800 is now a very niche camera for Nikon. Only those that absolutely have to have 36mp would buy it, since it seems that the D600 does everything the D800 does, and in some cases, a little better (high ISO). I wonder if that cuts into Nikon's bottom line at all...

If you're into birding and wildlife probably D800's 1.2 (24MP) and 1.5 (16MP) crop modes will come in handy (better DOF and FPS, lenses' sweet spot, etc). Also, in crop mode D800's AF points almost fill the whole frame, which is quite interesting for tracking. With a D600 you still would need another high-end APS-C camera to accomplish that, also in terms of pixels-on-subject.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.