D600 DXO is out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 stops of DR along with super clean shadows free of banding noise? not surprised. But then again did we expect anything different? Nikon/Sony have been leading on sensors for quite some time. I'm interested to see if the 6D made any headways in resolving the lag dynamic range and shadow noise that has plagued the 5DmkIII and 1DX.

another amazing sensor from the Nikon/Sony devil's pact :)

Tammy said:
If only the Nikons could focus.
seeing the 6D AF system...I'm not sure I'd be saying that.

Interestingly, looking at their use case scores, it makes a compelling case that the D800 is now a very niche camera for Nikon. Only those that absolutely have to have 36mp would buy it, since it seems that the D600 does everything the D800 does, and in some cases, a little better (high ISO). I wonder if that cuts into Nikon's bottom line at all...
you don't have to absolutely have 36MP to purchase. you just have to want the best image quality of any full frame camera geared towards landscape/studio/portrait to make you buy it ;)

if you do any of those things, the D600 is good, but the D800 blows it out of the water. What became redundant was the D3X.

plus if you've kept with Lloyd Chambers, you'd know the benefits of 36MP on image quality go beyond mere crops. Because you're sampling at such high resolutions, the effects of the bayer pattern are reduced leading to better image quality at equivalent 24MP resolutions.

so the D800 is far from a niche. it is a revolution. don't worry, canon will eventually do it too.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
1DX is nearly 6 months old. OM-D EM5 is older, so is the XPro1. None of these have been tested, and yet the D600 is tested and reviews written what, a week after announcement?

Now, there's a lot of people who claim that Nikon and DXO have secret dealings, biased fanbois, in each others' pockets, whatever.
I'm not going to join them, nor am I going to dispute any of the results. (Although I do wonder, how the D600 and 5D3 have 'SNR' lines almost as close to be touching, in both print and screen, and yet the D600 is 'usable' to 2980 and the 5D3 is only 'usable' to 2293)

But like any review, these data have to be taken with a grain of salt.
And with DXO, that grain is the size of a the pyramids and growing...

*wanders off to keep shooting with 5EV DR film...*

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
weixing said:
From DxOMark result on D800 and now, D600, I was wondering how Nikon DSLR dynamic range able to get a 14.4EV for D800 and 14.2EV for D600 when they only had 14-bits?? Unless they somehow compress their data in certain part of the dynamic range or the data is non-linear?

Nikon doesn't. DxO measures DR, it's less than 14 EV limit imposed by the 14-bit ADC (look at Measurements > DR > Screen), then DxO 'normalizes' the data to an 8 MP print size, and uses that to generate a Score. Both normalized value and Score are biased in favor of higher MP sensors.

Upvote 0
Gothmoth said:
94..... well let me make a guess.. the 6D will score 81.

Nikon’s recently released consumer-oriented full-frame sensor DSLR, the D600, has just gone through DxOMark’s image quality evaluation tests. And the verdict is in: the D600 is an affordable camera that places a high premium on image quality, as it ranks just behind the top performing Nikon D800 and Nikon D800E. It is also a significant improvement over the high-end professional flagship DSLRs, the Nikon D3X and the Nikon D4. Here are the DxOMark test results for the D600.

i guess that it is time for you to switch. as if you already switch, congratulation. however, i rather trust my eyes as well as my own judgement than any of those sites. if they want me to believe it, post out of camera images for me to compare. for now, i can tell that both camera yields good images... but in term of iso, canon provide much more cleaner noise imo. i love both brands but will stick with canon since they both pretty much the same (not high iso, see previous sentence)...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Why should they? :p

head_in_the_sand.jpg

That looks like a beach. Why would a guy go to the beach dressed like that?

I'll bet he's a terrorist.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.