D600 High ISO Examples

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I picked up my Nikon D600 with a 50mm f/1.8G yesterday (sold my 7D and other Canon gear to get it) and happened to go to a card game at my boss's house last night. This was the perfect chance to try out the low-light focus, big aperture of the 50mm and the high ISO capabilities of the D600. Here's what I came away with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/friedmud/sets/72157631808729691/

These were all shot _without_ a flash and it was pretty dark. All, or almost all, are at ISO 6400. I was shooting in the highest quality jpeg modes and had High ISO Noise Reduction set to "Normal". They were only slightly edited in LR3 before getting posted.

I am super impressed with the quality. Yes, there is noise (of course at 6400!) but there is a TON of detail in there too. I applied just a tad more NR in LR3, but I think the balance between noise and detail is awesome. I uploaded the full resolution jpegs to Flickr so you can grab those there if you want.

I didn't have any problems focusing in the dark. I used a lot of off-center focus points and never had any trouble. Unlike the Canon 50mm f/1.8 the Nikon version _does_ have an ultrasonic motor... and it focus fast, accurately and quietly. It's also damn sharp wide open.

I'll embed a few here for those who refuse to follow a link ;-)

Rich Shuffling by friedmud, on Flickr

Highland Park by friedmud, on Flickr

Yaqi Just Lost a Hand by friedmud, on Flickr

Thinking by friedmud, on Flickr

Feb 26, 2012
AB
friedmud said:
Thanks Imagination!

I can't believe just how "head-over-heels" I already am with this camera! I was out practicing some sunset shots in my backyard tonight... and the camera _just works_. I love it!

I'm not quite head over heels with my D800, but love it just the same. Use it every chance I get. My 5d2 is being ignored, hopefully it doesn't sulk when I go to use it.
I wanted to love the D600, but it's SO not comfortable for me to hold.
I've found I can rely on my D800s AF points as well, the thing just works like a good tool.
One thing I didn't try, is the D600's low light live view good? D800's is not, very noisy. 5d2 low light LV is awesome.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
I'm not quite head over heels with my D800, but love it just the same. Use it every chance I get. My 5d2 is being ignored, hopefully it doesn't sulk when I go to use it.
I wanted to love the D600, but it's SO not comfortable for me to hold.
I've found I can rely on my D800s AF points as well, the thing just works like a good tool.
One thing I didn't try, is the D600's low light live view good? D800's is not, very noisy. 5d2 low light LV is awesome.

D600 Live view is totally different from the D800. It's not "interpolated". I find that it works well!

As for the grip on the D600... it definitely is one of the things I like least about the camera. With the very heavy Nikko 24-70 f/2.8 it is very fron heavy and definitely needs two hands to raise to my eye. I loved the grip on my 7D... but I like everythting else about the D600 better ;-)

Upvote 0
W

weekendshooter

great shots with that kind of light, friedmud! That's a lot of detail and color preserved considering the conditions. I chuckled at your comments about the D600 grip - that's the one solace I have in buying a D700 ~7 months ago. Despite the handling issues, that sensor looks like a real winner!

Really glad to hear you're having a good time on the dark side - it's nice to see people on CR that don't consider us trolls at first glance. I'd love to give more advice about lens choices if you're interested; I'm the type that exhaustively researches everything before committing to a purchase.

Upvote 0
weekendshooter said:
great shots with that kind of light, friedmud! That's a lot of detail and color preserved considering the conditions. I chuckled at your comments about the D600 grip - that's the one solace I have in buying a D700 ~7 months ago. Despite the handling issues, that sensor looks like a real winner!

Really glad to hear you're having a good time on the dark side - it's nice to see people on CR that don't consider us trolls at first glance. I'd love to give more advice about lens choices if you're interested; I'm the type that exhaustively researches everything before committing to a purchase.

Thanks Weekend!

I would love to hear about lenses... BUT I have a confession... I just went all in and slammed down $2k to nab the 24-70.... so I probably won't be buying another lens for a while! :)

I want the 14-24... but i have a suspicion that the newly announced 70-200 f/4 will probably be my next purchase.. if it's any good. I loved my Canon version and was sad to give it up...

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
friedmud said:
...the newly announced 70-200 f/4 will probably be my next purchase.. if it's any good. I loved my Canon version and was sad to give it up...

I just ordered the 70-200/4 today, store tells me they expect it in by mid December, one other's advanced ordered ahead of me already.
I was hoping to handle one at a photo trade show this weekend but apparently the local Nikon rep has not (yet?) been successful in getting one in for a demo.
From what little I've read about it so far, MTF looks really good and DPreview I think stated that when they handled one the MF felt smooth and lightly damped. I hope so! I bought the Tamron 2.8 version because I could not manually focus Nikon one properly with so much stiction in the MF ring.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm glad to hear that Nikon has released another modern FF lens, they are sorely needed. Still lacking is anything equivalent in price and quality to the Canon 100-400L, even though the Canon is old, Nikon can't match it. Same for the old Canon 135mm L, and for the Canon 24-105L.
Lenses are much more important than bodies, and a much biger investment.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm glad to hear that Nikon has released another modern FF lens, they are sorely needed. Still lacking is anything equivalent in price and quality to the Canon 100-400L, even though the Canon is old, Nikon can't match it. Same for the old Canon 135mm L, and for the Canon 24-105L.

While you are right about the 100-400... I think the Nikon 24-120 f/4G matches up to the 24-105 quite well.

It has some amount of distortion, but resolution is really good through most of the range.

I almost picked it up instead of the 24-70 f/2.8... but I just couldn't resist the awesome bokeh and resolution of the 24-70...

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Mt Spokane Photography said:

I can certainly attest to the 100-400 being peerless at this time. it's virtually welded to my 7D.

I'd LIKE to be able to use something like it on my Nikon side of the kit but alas, nothing. Will have to see what the new Tamron 150-600mm turns out like and the low end compromise of 70-300 consumer lenses, even tho FF, are still just not the same league - tho might work for some of my requirements.

7D + 100-400 is likely to remain in my toolbox for a long time yet.

Upvote 0
suggest to check for dust more frequently with your new camera since nikon d600 has sensor's dust spots problems... i am not goin' to post link into this forum since i am not pretty sure whether i am going violate any thing with that; however, google key search would be "Nikon D600 sensor’s dust spots caused by a gap around the shutter?"

Upvote 0
DB said:
Great pics by the way, but you mentioned the D600 gripped still felt front-heavy. I shoot with a 7D+grip+24-70 mainly and it feels really balanced, but I upgraded from the T2i because the body was just too small and did not feel comfortable. How do you find the lighter and smaller D600 vs 7D, in terms of ergonomics?

Thanks!

7D ergonomics are MUCH better than the D600. The 7D grip in particular is, for my hands, nearly perfect. The D600 grip is just too small.

I haven't tried the battery grip yet... I'm hoping that improves things.

Beyond the grip the 7D also has superior control placement. The "wheel" on the back of the 7D is really good and the "joystick" on the back of the 7D is superior to the joystick on the D600. The D600's joystick is still really good, but a bit harder to work with gloves on. My main issue with the D600 controls are that quite a few of them (most notably AF mode selection and ISO selection) require the use of your left hand... whereas on a 7D almost everything can be performed using only your right hand... leaving your left to hold the (possibly heavy) lens.

Don't let all of this scare you off though. This is really just nit-picking. The D600 is not "attrocious" to hold and handle... just worse than a 7D. However... the image quality is MILES and MILES beyond a 7D and MORE than makes up for any shortcomings in ergonomics.

A lot of the issues with the button placement on the D600 can also be remedied through customization. Almost all of the buttons on the thing can be completely remapped to do something else. So you can customize it to your needs.

Upvote 0
ishdakuteb said:
suggest to check for dust more frequently with your new camera since nikon d600 has sensor's dust spots problems... i am not goin' to post link into this forum since i am not pretty sure whether i am going violate any thing with that; however, google key search would be "Nikon D600 sensor’s dust spots caused by a gap around the shutter?"

Yep... mine gets dusty. It is just dust though... and does get blown off with a Giottos Rocket Blower. It is annoying... but worth the hassle (IMO) for the incredible image quality.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen this discussed here yet... Canon guys are usually pretty quick to jump on Nikon quality shortcomings (and the other way around on other forums!).

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
friedmud said:
ishdakuteb said:

Yep... mine gets dusty. It is just dust though... and does get blown off with a Giottos Rocket Blower. It is annoying... but worth the hassle (IMO) for the incredible image quality.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen this discussed here yet... Canon guys are usually pretty quick to jump on Nikon quality shortcomings (and the other way around on other forums!).

Has anyone heard if Nikon has a fix in the works to close the gap around the sensor, which allows the dust to enter? I would think some tape, or a piece of rubber, to fill the gap around the sensor would be a easy production line fix.

I'm looking to purchase either the D600 or the 6D for my dad for Christmas, and right now I'm leaning toward the D600, but I'm going to wait until I know that Nikon has fixed the issue of dust getting on the sensor.

Upvote 0
It's still really unknown if that gap is really the culprit or not. Some others are thinking that it's metal shavings from a scratch to the metal during production.

Personally, here's my take: I think it's perfectly normal. What's abnormal is how poorly the built-in automatic cleaning mechanism of the D600 works. When my sensor was at full dust (before I ever blew it off) repeated automated cleanings did absolutely nothing. So, I think what I'm seeing is probably what would be on any brand new camera without a sensor cleaning mechanism.... it's just residual dust floating around in there from the production process and nothing is shaking it off.

Many people have reported that after a few cleanings there's doesn't get dirty any more... so I'm hoping that it will settle down over time.

Overall though... it's really not a huge issue. If you're looking to go Nikon for the IQ I wouldn't let this hold you back...

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
friedmud said:

I've managed to ADD more spots to my sensors using the Giottos Rocket blower.

Sticky little particles that may be tiny bits of the mold-release wax using in the rubber molding process.

Pity, it's an otherwise effective and easy to use tool.

I'd advise others to be wary of using this product to clean sensors. I've yet to find a more suitable product tho. might end up building my own using a highly filtered airless compressor, accumulator and regulator with a final sub-micron filter before the final nozzle.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.