D800 just took DXO Mark top spot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Orion

Re: Nikon D800 tested at DxOMark, gets the #1 spot

So the mkIII is going to get 96+ points!?!?!?!? :)

meh, I am still pissed off at Canon for making Canadian residents pay 300 more than our U.S. friends . . . . the $$ is even or above par by a penny, and last time I checked my money and "loyalty" to Canon was as good as our U.S. counterparts. Also, how on earth can Canon not add all the video bells and whistles on the mkIII, for that price.

The way I see it, people need to stop being so militant when it comes to defending either Nikon or Canon and actually think like consumers instead of trying to make up excuses for either company for god's sake. From one of the reviews posted on the news page, we get info that a mediocre camera has better video options/quality than the mkIII, and aside from that the D800 has better video optionsthan the mkIII . . although the mkIII does appear to have better video output (?).

I am more comfortable with Canon, but that doesn't mean I have to be a donkey . . .

I am styill going to wait for the mkIII reviews on DP and DxO, and then make a desicion as to what to do. . . . . I have to make that decision since I am being forced to pay a premium for something that might be bested by a cheaper camera, etc etc etc. . . . I need to weigh things, and I don;t give a damn abouty either company's hoorays or fandom crap. . . . I just want products that make sense in every way as opposed to another manufacturer. SO far it's still the mkIII, but my sights are on the 1Dx. . . .

more perspective:

"Overall score: 1st (95)
With its 4-point lead, the Nikon D800 has become the new sensor of reference — and with an unmatched quality-to-price ratio to boot: among the 8 top cameras, it is by far the least expensive (with an announced price of less than 3000 $)."

Upvote 0

Haha V8 =) As far as I can recall with the DxO goes, nikon's sensors, according to their tests, have always bested Canon's sensors, or at least in the last half decade or so... Whether it was D700 vs 5d2, 50D or 7D vs D300(s) or D90, etc... Coincidence? maybe. Bias based on testing method? Maybe. Nikon has better sensors? maybe. I definately am not going to start sensationalizing Canon or flaming DxO. Frankly, if DxO tests the 5d3 and finds it better than the D800, i would be shocked. But in the end, i think image quality on all these upper tier cameras are getting so good across the board that we are really splitting hairs with these numbers... Do i think canon will release a big MP monster within 12-16 months? I can definitely see it, after all they have a reputation for wanting to prove who's shlong is longer in that department, but in the end the 5d3 is a fine camera and I cant wait to shoot with mine.

Upvote 0

Chewy734 said:
dilbert, they also significantly improved the AF on the 5D3.

I feel the tests DxO runs is heavily biased towards Nikon anyways. It's hard to believe not a single Canon camera is in the top 10, and the 7D isn't even in the top 50.

That is the interesting thing. According to DXO the 7D sensor rates very poorly but I'm not sure I could tell the difference between it and the D7000 sensor in an actual image.

And I'm really confused by the DXO rating on ISO. The real world images do NOT reflect what those numbers are saying. Maybe it has to do with upscaling or whatever (I don't know much about that however). Maybe someone can explain better.

Upvote 0

EYEONE said:
Chewy734 said:

I feel the tests DxO runs is heavily biased towards Nikon anyways. It's hard to believe not a single Canon camera is in the top 10, and the 7D isn't even in the top 50.

That is the interesting thing. According to DXO the 7D sensor rates very poorly but I'm not sure I could tell the difference between it and the D7000 sensor in an actual image.

And I'm really confused by the DXO rating on ISO. The real world images do NOT reflect what those numbers are saying. Maybe it has to do with upscaling or whatever (I don't know much about that however). Maybe someone can explain better.

Exactly my point... we are getting to worked up with numbers and not enough on final output/quality. We're splitting hairs.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

EYEONE said:
Chewy734 said:

I agree with you...and it would be a marketing disaster if DxO was to rate the ISO of the mkIII lower then the D800 when Canon said they kept the MP low to get better ISO! But I still dont buy the ISO number for the D800...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

dilbert said:
awinphoto said:
EYEONE said:
Chewy734 said:

Exactly my point... we are getting to worked up with numbers and not enough on final output/quality. We're splitting hairs.

Would you all be saying that if it was the Canon 5DIII that scored 95 at DxO mark and was vastly superior to the D800?

No. I would say it is equally good with different attributes.

Upvote 0
O

Orion

dilbert said:
awinphoto said:
EYEONE said:
Chewy734 said:

Would you all be saying that if it was the Canon 5DIII that scored 95 at DxO mark and was vastly superior to the D800?

They wouldn't . . . they would be "vindicated" and happy and joyous haha. . .

with props given to DxO!

BUT that didn't happen, and that never hyappened except with Nikon sensors, etc . . .

Upvote 0

Chewy734 said:

Those sensor tests are pretty objective. I don't see any reason for DxO to misrepresent their findings.

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA

dilbert said:
So in case anyone from Canon is reading (or someone that knows someone at Canon), this is the kind of sensor performance we are (or should I say were!) expecting with the 5DIII.

From all of the early testing thus far, it is quite clear that the 5DIII will be nowhere near the D800 in terms of sensor performance.

Just improving low-light, high-iso a little bit is not enough. Just giving us more FPS is not enough.

Especially when Canon's #1 competitor has just released a camera that gives photographers everything that they were looking for in the 5DIII with the exception of higher shooting speed.

I'll give Canon until the end of the year before I jump ship, which effectively means I'm going to jump ship because they cannot release a new FF camera with a sensor to at least equal the D800 in less than a year. But for a good while, there is just going to be a feeding frenzy around the D800 so it will be hard to come by and deals non-existent.

And if I had of placed an order for a 5DIII and it had not yet shipped, I'd be ringing up right now and canceling that order because the testing thus far puts the D800 miles and miles ahead of the 5DIII in terms of sensor performance.

While I'm not jumping the Canon ship, I have had a D800e on order for almost a month. But Dilbert is quite right. I just received an email from B&H that said that they have no idea when Nikon will deliver their stock and that I should prepare to wait for 2 months to receive mine. This is what I was concerned about when I placed the order and now I'm more concerned as ever. However my Canon gear (5DMK2) is still will service me just fine with all that great glass. I have prepared by buying the Nikon 14-24mm on my 5d2 using the Novoflex adapter. I've just finished more testing so I pretty much know how the funky markings on the Novoflex translate into F-stops (very roughly). It is like going back in time for me.

From a Canon point of view - what good is having the top rated sensor (NikonD800) if there is no way to actually BUY the camera. Actually a very good point.

Upvote 0

dilbert said:
awinphoto said:
Haha V8 =) As far as I can recall with the DxO goes, nikon's sensors, according to their tests, have always bested Canon's sensors, or at least in the last half decade or so... Whether it was D700 vs 5d2, 50D or 7D vs D300(s) or D90, etc... Coincidence? maybe. Bias based on testing method? Maybe. Nikon has better sensors? maybe. I definately am not going to start sensationalizing Canon or flaming DxO. Frankly, if DxO tests the 5d3 and finds it better than the D800, i would be shocked. But in the end, i think image quality on all these upper tier cameras are getting so good across the board that we are really splitting hairs with these numbers... Do i think canon will release a big MP monster within 12-16 months? I can definitely see it, after all they have a reputation for wanting to prove who's shlong is longer in that department, but in the end the 5d3 is a fine camera and I cant wait to shoot with mine.

Big MP monster is not enough. They also need to improve the quality of the output of the sensor right across the ISO range - exactly what they have not done (so far as we can tell) with the 5DIII.

Dilbert, I'm not arguing there isn't room for improvement but quite frankly, if you want a canon sensor that will test better across the board on DxO, forget it... aint going to happen any time soon... Much like every review website, they all found the 7D as good if not better than the D300s, DPR saying it was a D300 killer, but DxO you would never have gotten that impression. Plus, for what it's worth, the 5d3 is a better camera across the board than the 5d2, even though it's sensor is very close in low ISO's... The D700 tests well vs the 5d2... but that hasn't stopped national geographics staff and contract photogs from using the 5d2 out in the field. I'm sure you've heards of the magazine, they wouldn't allow crap into their magazine... just saying.

Upvote 0

Orion said:
dilbert said:
awinphoto said:
EYEONE said:
Chewy734 said:

They wouldn't . . . they would be "vindicated" and happy and joyous haha. . .

with props given to DxO!

BUT that didn't happen, and that never hyappened except with Nikon sensors, etc . . .

I appreciate you answering for me ( ::) ) but I absolutely would. I've never put much stock in DXO. I wasn't the one that said they were biased against Canon. I don't think they are bias I just think they are ultimately useless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.