D800 not so great afterall...it has its shortcomings too

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neeneko

traveller said:
You're right, these camera are in completely differnet markets just like sports cars and SUVs. Canon evidently decided that they didn't want the business of the landscape/studio photographers that bought the 5D MkII, so they sat down and designed a camera to deliberately exclude them. Nikon though, "screw all the chumps that bought the D700, what we need to do is to design a camera that they'll hate and try to pursue a completely different segment of the market".

Why must you take such an extreme, black and white view of it?

Design is a process of compromise. You don't go in saying 'let us screw these people, they do not matter', but you do prioritize based off which groups your marketing department feels are the best ones to target. And yes, that means if you are building an upgrade you look at the current user base of the existing model which, if it is popular among certain groups you put more weight on the needs of those groups, even if there are other groups that also buy cameras in the same price range.

Either that, or they sat down and thought "what would sell an upgraded camera to current owners best?". I wonder...

*headdesk* it is the same expletive thing. See, there you go.... there are current users, they make up certain subgroups of the entire market segment. There are other users that are interested in cameras in the same price range but do not use the current version. It is your assertion about all users in the same price bracket being the same group that I have been arguing.

Which is why I originally was pointing out that comparing them is not productive because they were designed for different users, and the main reason people have been comparing them is that they came out about the same time at about the same price point.... and you came in saying that because they were around the same price they were for the same market segment.

Upvote 0
Neeneko said:
traveller said:
You're right, these camera are in completely differnet markets just like sports cars and SUVs. Canon evidently decided that they didn't want the business of the landscape/studio photographers that bought the 5D MkII, so they sat down and designed a camera to deliberately exclude them. Nikon though, "screw all the chumps that bought the D700, what we need to do is to design a camera that they'll hate and try to pursue a completely different segment of the market".

Why must you take such an extreme, black and white view of it?

Design is a process of compromise. You don't go in saying 'let us screw these people, they do not matter', but you do prioritize based off which groups your marketing department feels are the best ones to target. And yes, that means if you are building an upgrade you look at the current user base of the existing model which, if it is popular among certain groups you put more weight on the needs of those groups, even if there are other groups that also buy cameras in the same price range.

Either that, or they sat down and thought "what would sell an upgraded camera to current owners best?". I wonder...

*headdesk* it is the same expletive thing. See, there you go.... there are current users, they make up certain subgroups of the entire market segment. There are other users that are interested in cameras in the same price range but do not use the current version. It is your assertion about all users in the same price bracket being the same group that I have been arguing.

Which is why I originally was pointing out that comparing them is not productive because they were designed for different users, and the main reason people have been comparing them is that they came out about the same time at about the same price point.... and you came in saying that because they were around the same price they were for the same market segment.

you're totally right. comparing these two bodies is downright pointless. Unlike the majority of the folks here who get their opinions from rumor sites and buddies of buddies, I've actually shot the D800. It is a different tool to the 5DMkIII and if you're the audience for the D800, then there is nothing else that even comes close for that price. If I shot sports and actions, I'd never pick a D800. Heck I'd likely even skip the 5DmkIII and head to the 1DX (assuming it ever ships ;D)

You guys all need to relax and laugh a little. Watch part II of the D800 vs 5DmkIII and watch a D800 get shot (literally)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2_RyKKk_Xc#

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.